What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 343 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Scott Walker - Scott

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (Mono)

Lovely...I'm due a Scott and Beach Boys binge. All the Scott Walker records are fab but Scott 4 is the one that floats my perculiar boat.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
41kj36cVMFL._SX425_.jpg

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim_W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Scott Walker - Scott

Lovely...I'm due a Scott and Beach Boys binge. All the Scott Walker records are fab but Scott 4 is the one that floats my perculiar boat.

Yep, The Old Man's Back Again is my particular favourite from that Scott Walker.

Scott 3 is also great.

Playing:

Out Of Season - Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man

Now on to,

Obey The Time - Vini Reilly

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim_W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Scott Walker - Scott

Yep, The Old Man's Back Again is my particular favourite from that Scott Walker.

Scott 3 is also great.

Playing:

Now on to,

...'The Old Man's Back Again' is a favourite here too. Funny, greatest albums of all time lists are full of inconsequential drivel, but, apparently, no place for Scott Walker; Scott 4. would most certainly be in my top 100. Actually, it would be in my top 50 too. I hate lists.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I've been on the lookout for a reasonably priced copy of 'Scott 4' for around 20 years, but I've never found one, and with the price of vinyl these days, it's only going to get more difficult.

As others have said, 'The Old Man's Back Again' is rather corking, with a wonderful sounding bass guitar.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Jim_W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim_W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Scott Walker - Scott

Scott 3 is also great.

Playing:

Now on to,

...'The Old Man's Back Again' is a favourite here too. Funny, greatest albums of all time lists are full of inconsequential drivel, but, apparently, no place for Scott Walker; Scott 4. would most certainly be in my top 100. Actually, it would be in my top 50 too. I hate lists.

Scott 3 followed by 4 for me. Incomparable albums and great hifi testers too!

'Copenhagen' gliding out of my speakers as I write..

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I've been on the lookout for a reasonably priced copy of 'Scott 4' for around 20 years, but I've never found one, and with the price of vinyl these days, it's only going to get more difficult.

As others have said, 'The Old Man's Back Again' is rather corking, with a wonderful sounding bass guitar.

Wonderful bass I agree. I haven't come across a copy of 'Scott 4' since the 70's. Don't know what the Record Collector Price Guide lists it as being worth but whatever they say I would double it. I reckon it's worth £100+ to a Scott collector. It's another example, and there are quite a few of them, where the listed value really dosn't reflect the scarcity of a record or what collectors would pay.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Wonderful bass I agree. I haven't come across a copy of 'Scott 4' since the 70's. Don't know what the Record Collector Price Guide lists it as being worth but whatever they say I would double it. I reckon it's worth £100+ to a Scott collector. It's another example, and there are quite a few of them, where the listed value really dosn't reflect the scarcity of a record or what collectors would pay.

Average selling price for the UK original is £56, but I think you're right, a near mint copy would be £100+. Sadly, I've turned my nose up at a few excellent copies for £30-£40 in the past, which is an obvious regret.

You never know, I might strike lucky at a car boot one day.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim_W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Average selling price for the UK original is £56, but I think you're right, a near mint copy would be £100+. Sadly, I've turned my nose up at a few excellent copies for £30-£40 in the past, which is an obvious regret.

Conincidence time: my local dealer (Wah Wah Records in Wakefield) was just showing me a newly acquired Scott 4. Beyond my current budget too.

Anything beyond £50-60 he sticks on Discogs, as it won't sell very quickly in the shop.

Plug time: it's a great little shop. Two years up and running and he's making a real go of it blending the quirkier new stuff with the whole range of used.

Listening to:

At War With The Mystics - The Flaming Lips

7 Skies H3 - The Flaming Lips

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim_W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Conincidence time: my local dealer (Wah Wah Records in Wakefield) was just showing me a newly acquired Scott 4. Beyond my current budget too.

Anything beyond £50-60 he sticks on Discogs, as it won't sell very quickly in the shop.

Plug time: it's a great little shop. Two years up and running and he's making a real go of it blending the quirkier new stuff with the whole range of used.

Listening to:

Hi Charlie...your dealer has done very well to find a copy of that; I see loads of 'Scott', 'Scott2' and 'Scott 3', but '4' is ridiculously elusive. Mine is a bit battered, but it plays ok so I'm always looking for a better copy. However, I need to find a nice little part-time job, which I thought would be easy, to fund my on-going addiction: I just can't afford to spend the silly amounts of money that I used to spend. I've even considered supply teaching!!!! Nah...that's a bridge too far! Did the guy from Wah Wah tell you how much he was going to ask for 'Scott 4'? I'd be interested to know.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Definitely my favourite of the ones I've heard. For those of you who are not keen on Sabbath, have a listen to the track 'Planet Caravan'.

Doors - L.A Woman

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Definitely my favourite of the ones I've heard. For those of you who are not keen on Sabbath, have a listen to the track 'Planet Caravan'.

Doors - L.A Woman

Funny, I've just brought 'Black Sabbath' and 'Paranoid' down to give them a spin. They're the only two I've got and, to be honest, I don't want any more! The first lp is my favourite, but 'Paranoid' is pretty good too. I bought them a few years ago for nostalgia reasons. It's pretty hard to listen to 'Iron Man' without laughing though!

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Tim Buckley: 'Happy Sad'.

The Nice: 'The Thoughts Of Emerlist Davjack'.

Leo Kottke: 'The Best'.

Fleetwood Mac et al: 'Blues Jam At Chess'.

The Psychedelic Furs: 'Talk Talk Talk'.

The Beach Boys: 'Smiley Smile'. + 'Friends'

The Byrds: 'The Notorious Byrd Brothers'.

Black Sabbath: 'Black Sabbath'.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Jim_W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim_W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Listening to:

Hi Charlie...your dealer has done very well to find a copy of that; I see loads of 'Scott', 'Scott2' and 'Scott 3', but '4' is ridiculously elusive. Mine is a bit battered, but it plays ok so I'm always looking for a better copy. However, I need to find a nice little part-time job, which I thought would be easy, to fund my on-going addiction: I just can't afford to spend the silly amounts of money that I used to spend. I've even considered supply teaching!!!! Nah...that's a bridge too far! Did the guy from Wah Wah tell you how much he was going to ask for 'Scott 4'? I'd be interested to know.

I got Scott 4 for £15.99 new off fleabay....does it have to be original?

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
knaithrover said:
Jim_W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim_W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Listening to:

I got Scott 4 for £15.99 new off fleabay....does it have to be original?

Collectors prefer originals...I'd probably buy a decent reissue if I came across one.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
Collectors prefer originals...I'd probably buy a decent reissue if I came across one.

There's a Back To Black one which is remastered from the original analogue tapes, which is probably the best of the current crop. I probably don't need to say this, but stay well away from the 4 Men With Beards reissue, they're notorously awful.

I hope that's not the one knaithrover bought on ebay. *smile*

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim_W said:

There's a Back To Black one which is remastered from the original analogue tapes, which is probably the best of the current crop. I probably don't need to say this, but stay well away from the 4 Men With Beards reissue, they're notorously awful.

I hope that's not the one knaithrover bought on ebay. *smile*

Back to Black is the one I have, sounds great to my ears & decent value. I wouldn't class myself as a collecter just a vinyl lover. I have quite a lot of original vinyl particularly from the 70's but that's mainly because that's when I started buying records (yes i'm old)

Pink Moon - Nick Drake

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Just listening to the opening track, sounds interesting. No time to listen to any more right now, work beckons...

I've just listened to the rest of it, and for the most part I like it. It's the upbeat tunes that don't quite do it for me. One things for sure, he has a great voice, pure class.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Bach – Violin Concertos in A minor and E Major / Double Violin Concerto in D minor (Igor & David Oistrach, violin)
John Coltrane – Blue Train
New Order – Vinyl Solution (live in Sunderland, August 1984)
Gregory Isaacs – Cool Ruler

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I thought this week had gone really fast too.

Played a bit of vinyl today.

LFO - LFO (Leeds Warehouse Mix) (12") (side one)

Massive Attack - Angel (12") (side one)

Suzanne Vega - Suzanne Vega (side one)

Miles Davis - Water Babies

Deodato - Also Sprach Zarathustra (from the LP 'Prelude')

Dave 'Baby' Cortez - Soul Vibration (side one)

Jimmy Smith - Who's Afraid Of Virignia Woolf (from the LP 'Best Of')

Blue Nile - Hats

TRENDING THREADS