What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 344 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
For some reason listening to this on vinyl feels more 'right' than on digital. Silly really.

Superb album Steve
thumbs_up.gif
It's not silly at all, welcome to the club *smile*

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
steve_1979 said:
For some reason listening to this on vinyl feels more 'right' than on digital. Silly really.

Superb album Steve It's not silly at all, welcome to the club *smile*

It is superb and I only just discovered it a few months ago so it still sounds new and fresh to me. The quality of the vinyl version is very good too.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I have of course followed your thread, even if I haven't commented. There were quite a few suggestions about getting a better cartridge. I fully understand your reluctance to get in too deep, but trust me, it will pay dividends. Just sayin' ...

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Freddy58 said:
I have of course followed your thread, even if I haven't commented. There were quite a few suggestions about getting a better cartridge. I fully understand your reluctance to get in too deep, but trust me, it will pay dividends. Just sayin' ...

Thanks for the advice and I have been taking it on board. :)

I don't doubt for a second that there are better cartridges and I have a second headshell for just that reason so that I can quickley swap between cartridges. At some point I'll be looking to get a new one in the £100-200 price range but for now I've already gone way over budget with what I've bought so it'll have to wait for a while.

The sound that I'm getting from the Shure M44G and cheap Behringer phono stage is actually pretty good so I'm happy for now even though it could (and eventually will) be improved later on with a couple of upgrades.

Shure make some good cartridges, so I ain't knocking it. Indeed, my first 'proper' cartridge was a Shure M95ED, and very good it was too, imo. Showing my age now...

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Freddy58 said:

Thanks for the advice and I have been taking it on board. :)

I don't doubt for a second that there are better cartridges and I have a second headshell for just that reason so that I can quickly swap between cartridges. At some point I'll be looking to get a new one in the £100-200 price range but for now I've already gone way over budget with what I've bought so it'll have to wait for a while.

The sound that I'm getting from the Shure M44G and cheap Behringer phono stage is actually pretty good so I'm happy for now even though it could (and eventually will) be improved later on with a couple of upgrades.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
Keith Jarrett – Solo-Concerts (Bremen / Lausanne)Mudhoney – Superfuzz Bigmuff

Now for some rugby, recorded earlier...

Hi pronster

I think the Bremen/Lausanne concerts were the first Keith Jarrett records that I bought and they're still my favourite Jarrett solo piano records; for what it's worth, I prefer them to 'The Koln Concert'. 'The Sun Bear Concerts' are pretty good too but it's ages since I've dusted them down. Nice to see Keith Jarrett on the lists.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi Jim, thanks for your reply. I must admit I prefer The Köln Concert, but that's partly because I'm more familiar with it. I only bought the earlier one a few years ago and have only listened to it a handful of times. Probably a bit more abstract, overall, but definitely deserves a few more listens. The only other Jarrett record I have apart from those two solo concerts is Back Hand, which is completely different - a sort of reimagining of hard bop. I like all the ones I've heard, so would like to have recommendations for other of his albums to buy. Will look out the Sun Bear Concerts, I hadn't heard of that one before. If there are any other Keith Jarrett LPs you'd recommend - solo or ensemble - or any other artists who are in a similar vein and who I might not know about, please do let me know.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Cavern Of Anti-Matter

(All very Tim Gane and gang in a good way. Can, Neu, Cluster, Kraftwerk, James Last etc)

Concerto For Orchestra - Bartok/Phildelphia O/Eugene Ormandy

Evil Urges - MMJ

Sonata For Two Pianos - Bartok/Martha Argerich/Stephen Bishop Kovacevich

Circuital - MMJ

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
Hi Jim, thanks for your reply. I must admit I prefer The Köln Concert, but that's partly because I'm more familiar with it. I only bought the earlier one a few years ago and have only listened to it a handful of times. Probably a bit more abstract, overall, but definitely deserves a few more listens. The only other Jarrett record I have apart from those two solo concerts is Back Hand, which is completely different - a sort of reimagining of hard bop. I like all the ones I've heard, so would like to have recommendations for other of his albums to buy. Will look out the Sun Bear Concerts, I hadn't heard of that one before. If there are any other Keith Jarrett LPs you'd recommend - solo or ensemble - or any other artists who are in a similar vein and who I might not know about, please do let me know.

Hi

As I'm sure you're aware, the Jarrett catalogue is vast and varied so really all I can do is outline my favourites and those which I think are essential; however i would suggest any Keith Jarrett record is worth hearing.

Solo piano: 'Facing You' the debut ECM record is essential. Lovely, lyrical playing. 'Sun Bear Concerts' are live in Japan and have the usual rollng blues/abstract/lyrical passages. This is a big box on record: 10 lps; there's a 6 cd version too. 'Staircase' is a studio solo piano set which is a double album of the usual sort of stuff.

American quartet: with Dewey Redman on sax. You've got 'Back Hand' so you know the modus operandi of this band. 'Death And The Flower', which was recorded at the same sessions as 'Back Hand' is lovely with great Charlie Haden bass duets with Jarrett. Dewey Redman is always wonderful and especially on 'The Survivors' Suite' which is probably the best of the American Quartet records. I also love 'Byablue', 'Treasure Island' 'Bop-Be' and 'Shades'. The live 'Eyes Of The Heart' features some brilliant and powefully emotive Dewey Redman sax solos, but is perhaps not essential. Deserves a spotify or youtube though.

European Quartet: featuring Jan Garbarek on sax. I guess the two best examples of this band are 'Belonging' and 'My Song'. More European and cerebral ECM type of stuff than the American quartet, but with a very high standard of playing and great tunes,

Trio: The 'Standards' records with Gary Peacock and Jack Dejohnette feature the trio playing ahem jazz standards. Impeccable musicianship and worth hearing. Doesn't really do much for me though.

If you like piano jazz, I recommend 'Explorations' and 'Portrait in Jazz' by Bill Evans; both feature the brilliant Scott Le Faro who plays almost telepathically with Evans. I can't recommend these highly enough...two of my desert island discs.

Dewey Redman: 'The Struggle Continues' on ECM is a very interesting and varied record with Dewey on top form.

I feel like I've missed loads of stuff out but this is all pretty essential listening. If I think of anything else I'll post it.

Hope this gives you an idea of what to expect.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

White Noise - An Electric Storm

Not quite what I was expecting, but I'm still on side one. It sounds a bit like Pram to me, which isn't a bad thing. Flawless pressing so far too.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'm just starting to feel human again after a bout of the flu, so what better album to make my vinyl comeback with than:

Pixies - Doolittle

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Miles In The Sky - Miles Davis

Void Beats/Invocation Trex - Cavern Of Anti-Matter

Glassworks - Phillip Glass

Histoire De Melody Nelson - Serge Gainsbourg

J'aime beacoup 'Histoire de Melodie Nelson'. Tres bien, Charlie...dix sur dix, mon ami.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Jim_W said:
Keith Jarrett

Wow, Jim, what an amazing reply. Thank you for taking the care to give me such a detailed overview, with recommendations. Thanks for indicating the difference between the various quartets as well. Bop-Be was in fact my introduction to Jarrett; someone I knew had a copy when I was a teenager, and listening to that convinced me that Jarrett was worth investigating. I can't remember much about it apart from being quite frenetic, but it was enough to convince me to find and listen to more.

Anyway, I've taken a copy of your reply, as otherwise I'll never find it again by the time I find time and head-space to start listening to some of your recommendations. I hope that's all right.

Today's listening:
Gregory Isaacs – Lonely Lover
Burning Spear – Farover
The Congos – Heart of the Congos

All good fun...

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
Jim_W said:
Keith Jarrett

Wow, Jim, what an amazing reply. Thank you for taking the care to give me such a detailed overview, with recommendations. Thanks for indicating the difference between the various quartets as well. Bop-Be was in fact my introduction to Jarrett; someone I knew had a copy when I was a teenager, and listening to that convinced me that Jarrett was worth investigating. I can't remember much about it apart from being quite frenetic, but it was enough to convince me to find and listen to more.

Anyway, I've taken a copy of your reply, as otherwise I'll never find it again by the time I find time and head-space to start listening to some of your recommendations. I hope that's all right.

Today's listening:Gregory Isaacs – Lonely LoverBurning Spear – FaroverThe Congos – Heart of the Congos

All good fun...

Of course it's alright!

Love Gregory and Spear.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts