What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 324 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks again LA, final, final questions:

if he does bi-wire the speakers does he connect all cables to the power amp and leave the integrated as essentially a pre-amp? Are there enough sockets on the power amp to do that?

And if all the above takes place does he still need to link the two amps with an interconnect?

Sorry for all the questions!!

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Thanks again LA, final, final questions:

if he does bi-wire the speakers does he connect all cables to the power amp and leave the integrated as essentially a pre-amp? Are there enough sockets on the power amp to do that?

And if all the above takes place does he still need to link the two amps with an interconnect?

Sorry for all the questions!!

Yes, Charlie, you have to connect the Roksan used as a pre by finding the 'pre-out' on the back of the Roksan and running cables to the power amp; this then cuts out the power section of the integrated amp and renders the integrated only effective as a preamp. The power amp will then do the hard work as it were. In an earler post LA detailed how you can use pre and power cables to bi-wire. However, I think you could also use two sets of speaker cables commoned together, ie the two + joined together and the two - joined together from the power amp speaker posts; these would then go separately to the + and - on the relevant speaker. I may be wrong though! I've done it myself using Kandy amps and it's worked though.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Jim (&LA),

I've just glanced at an Roksan Kandy Power amp manual online and I think what you've both said makes sense, up to a point! My brother wants to bi-wire now too, so it looks like I'll have one set of speaker connection (hi freq) going into one amp, and the other set (low freq) into other.

Presume this is correct, technically. There only appears to be enough for four speaker cables to connect on the power amp.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Thanks Jim (&LA),

I've just glanced at an Roksan Kandy Power amp manual online and I think what you've both said makes sense, up to a point! My brother wants to bi-wire now too, so it looks like I'll have one set of speaker connection (hi freq) going into one amp, and the other set (low freq) into other.

Presume this is correct, technically. There only appears to be enough for four speaker cables to connect on the power amp.

This is called Bi-amping, the usual way is as I said earlier with the HF to the integrated but you can experiment and try them them the other way around as well. Remember to remove the jumper wires on the back of the speakers.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
My favorite version of 1812 ever, and the Nutcracker Suite on the other side ain't half bad either. Criminal this was never released on any digital format, I'd have bought it in a shot.

Nice. I remember the Phase 4 thingy, but don't recall what it was about? Wasn't there a Phase 2 also?

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Been playing a few of my recent acquisitions:

Julia Holter – Have You In My Wilderness
various – Pomegranates (compilation of 60s/70s Iranian funk)
King Midas Sound
– Without You
King Midas Sound & Fennesz – Edition 1
Sigur Rós – Takk
Mogwai – Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will

Daz B

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Had a good listening sessions today.

1. The Beatles - Help, original mono pressing.

2. The Doors - LA Woman

3. Muse- Black Holes and Revelations.

4. Siouxie and The Banshees - Once a Upon a Time - The singles

5. Madness - One Step Beyond.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
Been playing a few of my recent acquisitions:

Julia Holter – Have You In My Wildernessvarious – Pomegranates (compilation of 60s/70s Iranian funk)King Midas Sound – Without YouKing Midas Sound & Fennesz – Edition 1Sigur Rós – TakkMogwai – Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will

I really like the current and the last Julia Holter LPs, though I own neither. The Bob box has wiped out any future spending EVER. Well, almost.

Listening to the following recently:

er, discs 10-14 of the Bob box.

LP#2 of The Reprise Years - Frank Sinatra

Shadows In The Night - Bob

Lousy With Sylvanbriar - of Montreal

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, Charlie. I'd never heard of Julia Holter before. I mean to check out her previous albums. I've been 'warned' that the earlier ones are a lot more experimental, although in my book that's often a good thing. Look forward to hearing them.

My latest discovery is the wonderfully named Anna Von Hausswolff, who plays what has been described as 'folk-metal', driven by a church organ. Have just ordered her last two albums online as unfortunately they're out of print so my local shop can't get hold of them.

If you need curing of your Bob obsession (for your wallet's sake, if nothing else), I'm just the man to help you. I also do Beatles detox weekends.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi TSP,

I'm always game for a spot of folk-metal. Look forward to reports.

I only knew the last two Julia Holter albums until recently, then delved to her others.

All very interesting. They are experimental, in a sense. It's all relative isn't it. Some days I'm bored by more obvious melody, others I crave the wayward and demanding. She mixes both well, I'd say.

A Bob de-tox, you say?? Mmm, I'm beyond that now, I fear. Many have tried, I assure you.

Right now, I'm streaming Bob covers across the range from painful to peerless.

My three current faves:

Sooner Or Later One of Us Must Now - Simply Red

Positively 4th Street - Bryan Ferry

Pressing On - John Doe

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Not on vinyl, but hey, I do own one of them on vinyl, and as much as I'd like the other on vinyl, it goes for silly money, so I'll stick with what I have for now.

Talk Talk - Spirit Of Eden

'O' Rang - Herd Of Instinct

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Sooner Or Later One of Us Must Now - Simply Red

*help*

Mick Hucknall also turns in a very wonderful Positively 4th Street.

He should do a covers LP of Bob songs.

I'm serious!

So was I. *biggrin*

Ha!!

I recall David Hepworth once anonymously recalling meeting the most hideous star on a LP promotional trial. Always suspected it was Mick Hucknall.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim_W said:
I saw Mick Hucknall walking down Street An Pol in St Ives, Cornwall...that's the closest I've ever come to his music.

Jim, I implore, nay demand you allow your ears to meet the mightily majestic Mick's take on Sooner Or Later. It's on a Chimes Of Freedom Amnesty CD - million tracks Bob covers fest! Also features the most grotesque cover I've heard of Zim: Seal & Jeff Beck mutilating Like A Rolling Stone.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
I love 'Spirit Of Eden' and 'Laughing Stock' too and the Mark Hollis solo album is ok, but I haven't played it recently; BBB mentioning that one of them was expensive sent me scurrying to popsike. Yep, 'Laughing Stock' does indeed go for silly money..it's exceeded £200 a few years ago. Beware though or be glad because it seems as if the prices are dropping for Talk Talk recently. Many records released in the 90's, when cds were new and the first choice for many, command silly prices. This makes me very happy. *i-m_so_happy*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts