What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 180 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Jim-W said:
ifor said:
Jim-W said:
Don't get me started on Caravan: I might crap on more than usual.

have you got Paradise Filter?

No, I haven't managed to get hold of a copy yet. This guy on a market stall is looking out for one for me; if that fails I guess I'll have to get one from the usual sources and pay over the odds. Is it any good? I'm afraid I think they may be past their best, but that doesn't stop them from making a joyful noise.

Regards.

i've not made up my mind yet. It is certainly not a patch on earlier stuff. My signed vinyl arrived about two weeks ago and I've only listened to it a couple of times. You can preorder the CD from Burning Shed.

or http://paradisefilter.com/product/paradise-filter-signed-vinyl/

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
ifor said:
Jim-W said:
ifor said:
Jim-W said:
Don't get me started on Caravan: I might crap on more than usual.

have you got Paradise Filter?

No, I haven't managed to get hold of a copy yet. This guy on a market stall is looking out for one for me; if that fails I guess I'll have to get one from the usual sources and pay over the odds. Is it any good? I'm afraid I think they may be past their best, but that doesn't stop them from making a joyful noise.

Regards.

i've not made up my mind yet. It is certainly not a patch on earlier stuff. My signed vinyl arrived about two weeks ago and I've only listened to it a couple of times. You can preorder the CD from Burning Shed.

or http://paradisefilter.com/product/paradise-filter-signed-vinyl/

Thanks, ifor. I didn't think it would be as good as the old stuff tbh. It couldn't be though; they're all knocking on a bit and they had their 5 minutes. A glorious 5 minutes though. I'll definitely get a copy though.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Trans - Neil Young

You know something, Charlie, I really like 'Trans.' I think there's some great songs on that record. I did however draw the line at Neil And The Shocking Pinks. i remember getting it home, all excited,and it was just awful! Well, in comparison to former glories. I haven't played it in yonks.

So far, ce soir:

First Meetin' Of Blues Giants-Lightnin' Hopkins with Brownie McGhee, Sonny Terry and Big Joe Williams.

Bobby Hutcherson-Dialogue

Spirit-The Family That Plays Together.

Love-Out Here.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Jonsi - Go

Foals - Holly Fire (This really shows how good the MP150 and Era Gold V are, when I first bought it I was still using the Rega Bias and found the record light and dull, having played it tonight it is anything but. Sounds so good, tight, controlled bass and a really full sound)

Public Service Broadcasting - Inform Educate Entertain

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Trans - Neil Young

You know something, Charlie, I really like 'Trans.' I think there's some great songs on that record. I did however draw the line at Neil And The Shocking Pinks. i remember getting it home, all excited,and it was just awful! Well, in comparison to former glories. I haven't played it in yonks.

So far, ce soir:

First Meetin' Of Blues Giants-Lightnin' Hopkins with Brownie McGhee, Sonny Terry and Big Joe Williams.

Bobby Hutcherson-Dialogue

Spirit-The Family That Plays Together.

Love-Out Here.

I know what you mean about Everybody's Rocking, although there are a couple of good songs. A bit like an apologist's claim that Bob's Down In The Groove or Knocked Out Loaded are incredible albums. Evidently they aren't. Although. . . !!!!

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
A drop of Irish whiskey tonight so it has to be:

Van Morrison-Veedon Fleece.

Van Morrison-Astral Weeks.

Man, I love Van. He's the man, man.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Hiya folks :)

I must say, you listen to a very varied mix of music. I like all kinds myself, but I draw the line at Country & Western and Reggae, oh, and crappy pop.

I'm very much into some of the old prog, Genesis being my favourite band of the genre. I noted 'Selling England By The Pound' in an earlier posting ;) I also noted Egg, which I have somewhere on MP3, must dig it out and listen again. I guess I'm not the only one that's "knocking on a bit" :grin:

I could go on with bands/artists that I like, but I wouldn't want to bore you. Really looking forward to getting my new system up together and having a good old listen again, it's been a while....

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Glad you embraced my 'knocking on a bit comment' Freddy. Oh I'm knocking on a bit too, it's true. Anyway it brings great wisdom, wit and experience; well, that's the theory but I'm afraid none of this has happened to me. Thank God.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Back to Bob.

Nashville Skyline

John Wesley Harding*

Self-Potrait

Another Self-Portrait

*My current favourite. The songs, the style, the sound. Perfect.

And the voice on John Wesley Harding, Charlie: my favourite Bob voice, although the Blonde On Blonde voice is great too.

Stanley Clarke-Modern Man.

Van Morison-Veedon Fleece.

Michael Chapman-Rainmaker

Matthews Southern Comfort-Second Spring.

REM-Collapse Into Now.

Bob Dylan-Tempest.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Back to Bob.

Nashville Skyline

John Wesley Harding*

Self-Potrait

Another Self-Portrait

And the voice on John Wesley Harding, Charlie: my favourite Bob voice, although the Blonde On Blonde voice is great too.

REM-Collapse Into Now.

Bob Dylan-Tempest.

My brother really rates Michael Chapman, but I'm not too familiar with his music. Will see what Spotify reveals.

Back to matters Bob. Yes, his voice is wonderfuly incisive and astringent on JWH. The completely different register and colour on Nashville Skyline is another favourite and perhaps because of the LPs brevity leaves me wanting more. In purely vocal terms only, I also love Self-Portrait/Another Self-Portrait. In particular the songs I Went To See The Gypsy (demo) and Copper Kettle.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim-W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Back to Bob.

Nashville Skyline

John Wesley Harding*

Self-Potrait

Another Self-Portrait

REM-Collapse Into Now.

Bob Dylan-Tempest.

My brother really rates Michael Chapman, but I'm not too familiar with his music. Will see what Spotify reveals.

Back to matters Bob. Yes, his voice is wonderfuly incisive and astringent on JWH. The completely different register and colour on Nashville Skyline is another favourite and perhaps because of the LPs brevity leaves me wanting more. In purely vocal terms only, I also love Self-Portrait/Another Self-Portrait. In particular the songs I Went To See The Gypsy (demo) and Copper Kettle.

Copper Kettle is lovely, I agree; don't know the demo but, hopefully, I'll get to hear it soon. As a motorcyclist, who can't drive a car to save his life,the bad weather, particularly the wind, is preventing me from getting out to get hold of stuff. Let's hope it all clears up soon.

Re Michael Chapman, try 'Fully Qualified Survivor' and 'Rainmaker'. I think you'd hear echoes of Bob on both of those records, primarily in the rough but affecting vocal delivery and the songs go straight to your heart like a cannonball...as it were. He's a good guitarist too.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Jim, I'll search for those albums and give them a listen.

Hope the wind and rain abates and you manage to get mobile soon.

Another Self-Portrait is a gem of a collection. It'll tide me over until the next (alleged) Official Bootleg Series release, Blood On The Tracks.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
John Wesley Harding - Bob Dylan

Summerteeth - Wilco

At Dawn - My Morning Jacket

Out Of Our Idiot - Elvis Costello

Brotherhood - New Order

Something Else - The Kinks

The Life Pursuit - Belle & Sebastian

2am finish on a school night. No booze, just tea. As my forties come to a close I'm celebrating such slender triumphs.

Half-term awaits.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Got the amp back repaired so after no vinyl for 5 weeks I played a few

61dx2Iu7IoL._SY450_.jpg

51V3dn1E%2BxL._SY450_.jpg

and a few of you have played this so I thought i'd better

41Gyd9BADyL._SY450__PJautoripBadge,BottomRight,4,-40_OU11__.jpg

Bristol show next week then new speakers and Cartridge (Zyk). Hopefully everything is going to be OK.

Rock on.

MoJoe

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Have you heard blood on the tapes? Some nice out-takes although a lot of them can already be heard on the bootleg 1-3 and other bits and pieces

by the way sorry about the repeated posts. On the gf's iPad and it's not working as it should

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts