What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 178 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
It's a not so wet and windy night in moonlit West Yorkshire, so it's PIL.

Metal Box

This Is PIL.

Raw PIL, comedy PIL.

No sleeping PIL?

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Just to add to the Nick Drake chat: 'Pink Moon' is my favourite but they're all lovely. Funny to think he's quite well-known these days; when I bought the records, nobody had ever heard of him. Stil amongst my most treasured records for the music, not the value.

Buffalo Springfield-Last Time Around.

Wishbone Ash-Argus

Bert Jansch-When The Circus Comes To Town.

Bert Jansc-Avocet.

Paul Siebel-Jack-Knife Gypsy.

Bob Dylan-Desire.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
I had a listen to Pink Moon today (MP3) and have to admit it's really good. I'd only listened to it once before, and gave it the brush-off...silly me :oops:

Playing Pink Moon now, it's a thing of simplistic beauty.

Oh BBB! Simplistic? Have you ever tried to play those guitar parts? They're far from simplistic. I know what you mean though, some of the songs are like Zen koans.It's a dark, dark set of songs though even though, ultimately, it's uplifting.

Sorry for crapping on.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
Oh BBB! Simplistic? Have you ever tried to play those guitar parts? They're far from simplistic.

Simplistic is obviously not the right word, but you know what I meant.

The strings on Five Leaves Left are absolutely beautiful, but there's something pure (is that the right word?) about Pink Moon.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim-W said:
when I bought the records, nobody had ever heard of him.

So how did you become aware of his music at that time Jim?

There was an Island records sampler, 'Nice Enough To Eat' for 14 shillings and sixpence-I've still got it- and 'Time Has Told Me was one of the tracks. I liked it and bought 5 Leaves Left. I became a huge fan and bought all the others as they came out. As a young bloke I loved all the doom and melancholy. All terribly romantic. There's a great essay in Ian McDonald's book, 'The People's Music' that makes the case for Nick Drake being a seer and I find it convincing. It might be on the net somewhere, it's well worth reading if you like Nick Drake.

Yes, pure. Unadorned. Stark.I also think the voice sounds almost out-of-body if you know what I mean! Damn it, I'm fetching it down from the loft! The guitar playing is a master class...very unique stylings.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim-W said:
There was an Island records sampler, 'Nice Enough To Eat' for 14 shillings and sixpence-I've still got it- and 'Time Has Told Me was one of the tracks.

Blimey, I have that too! That's where I first heard Nick Drake also. It was also when I first heard King Crimson, the cover of which I use for my avatar :)

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:
There was an Island records sampler, 'Nice Enough To Eat' for 14 shillings and sixpence-I've still got it- and 'Time Has Told Me was one of the tracks.

Blimey, I have that too! That's where I first heard Nick Drake also. It was also when I first heard King Crimson, the cover of which I use for my avatar :)

In which case, Freddy, you're also knocking on a bit, old boy!

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Tonight:

Egg-Egg. Canterbury scene proggy stuff.

Egg-The Polite Force.

Gene Clark-No Other. Genius. Genius. Genius. Just so there's no mistake.

Milo_Myage

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
The Vapors - Magnets

Since moving house i've had to place my speakers further from my amp, out of reach of my current length of cable. So until my new cable is chosen (i've hundreds of threads on the hi-fi board to choose from ;) ) i'm listening through headphones. Not sure i'm a fan, everything sounds so close together, but it does mean i can have a late night listen without disturbing anyone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts