What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Another oldie gets a dusting down today...

51TknQrnCnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You all know what it is dont you?
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

smuggs:
got black rock , sounds great sq wise but the album lacks depth but the ballard of john henry is class i need that on vinyl diffo.

I thought the SQ on John Henry was excellent, much better than Black Rock (I only have that album on CD though). Very quiet pressing too, not a hint of hiss or crackles.

Also spun the 30th anniversary special remaster of this today:

dark_side_of_the_moon.jpg

Top quality pressing again, dare I say better than my dads original 1973 pressing....

And finally something a bit heavier:

music5_153.jpg

I still use The Poet and The Pendulum as one of my kit audition tracks. Can tell in the first 3 mins if its worth listening any further.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
smuggs:

got black rock , sounds great sq wise but the album lacks depth but the ballard of john henry is class i need that on vinyl diffo.

I agree about Black Rock borrowed the CD from the libray and decided not worth getting on vinyl.
I find John Henry too heavy on my CDP, too much subwoofer type bass, (trait of my CDP) which is why I prefer vinyl.
Sloe Gin is a much better album.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
DIB:

Another oldie gets a dusting down today...

51TknQrnCnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You all know what it is dont you?
emotion-5.gif

Yes , it's Duane Allman with his buddies playing some rather fine toons . Oh , with a little help from Whatshisname . Am I right ?

Nick

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
shropshire lad:
Yes , it's Duane Allman with his buddies playing some rather fine toons. Oh , and a bit of help from whatshisname . Am I right ?

Nick

Yep.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
51RNiCGbmjL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I'm pretty certain I went to see them on this tour, good live band. Very Spinal Tap!

Classic 70's sleeve, gatefold, glossy inserts etc. No wonder they didn't make any money.

This used to be regularly voted one of the worst live albums of all time, I think mainly because of side 4 and the admittedly awful Rock n' Roll medley, but sides 1,2 and 3 are classic British heavy metal of that period.

Rock on.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site

Reissued Double album - 2nd LP includes remixes - Remastered 180g Vinyl - Sounds Amazing!!

Again on Remastered 180g Viynl and again the sound is amazing.

Yep You've guessed it I'm on a Grunge Kick today
emotion-2.gif
Nirvanna Unplugged on MTV is up next.

blackholesun

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
Something in this vein:

51Ewg4VA08L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

From MOV, but the manufacture quality is not as good as the excellent ORG's releases of Nirvana.

Jason, if you like grunge, MOV will be releasing Mad Season and Singles OST in the next couple of months.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
blackholesun:

Something in this vein:

51Ewg4VA08L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

From MOV, but the manufacture quality is not as good as the excellent ORG's releases of Nirvana.

Jason, if you like grunge, MOV will be releasing Mad Season and Singles OST in the next couple of months.

Thanks for the head's up on that Chris.....I'll keep an eye open :)

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
blackholesun:
Something in this vein:

I picked up a copy of the original limited edition Jar of flies/Sap, late last year. It sounds great. I haven't got round to buying any Nirvana on vinyl yet though. Mad Season is one of my favourite albums from the mid 90's. Thanks for the heads up.

Jason, you obviously like 'Pearl Jam' (like myself). I'd recommend 'Vs' and 'Vitalogy' on vinyl. 'Vs', is readily available on e-bay and shouldn't cost you more than a score. 'Vitalogy' is a bit harder to come by, but does appear on e-bay, from time to time. I got a mint copy for £37. Also, look out for the picture disc of 'Jeremy'. It's got 'Footsteps' on the B-side and it sounds fantastic. It can go for £50+, but you might get lucky and get it cheaper. I got mine for £20. Bargain.

Still on the grunge tip, Alice In Chains self titled album (with the 3 legged dog) sounds absolutely brilliant. It's a double vinyl and costs under a score.

Finally, Soundgarden's 'BadMotorFinger' sounds tops, too. I bought it, new, for £20.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for those recommendations Bretty,

Ive been looking at Vitalogy on Ebay and it does seem to go for a fair bit and just been holding out to try and hit it lucky. I need to watch what I spend at the moment as I have just spent £1,400 on some new equipment....namely a Rokasn Caspian M1 Power Amp, Pre Amp and CD player complete with all interconects and Speaker Cable and also a Goldring PA1 Phono Amp.

My system is therefore nearly complete and just looking at speakers in due course :)

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Jason36:

Ive been looking at Vitalogy on Ebay and it does seem to go for a fair bit and just been holding out to try and hit it lucky. I need to watch what I spend at the moment as I have just spent £1,400 on some new equipment....namely a Rokasn Caspian M1 Power Amp, Pre Amp and CD player complete with all interconects and Speaker Cable and also a Goldring PA1 Phono Amp.

My system is therefore nearly complete and just looking at speakers in due course :)

I think you'll be ecstatic over the leap in performance that your new kit will bring. All very nice kit. Well done you!

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
bretty:Jason36:

I think you'll be ecstatic over the leap in performance that your new kit will bring. All very nice kit. Well done you!

I'm hoping for a definite improvement in timing and dynamics and of course greater depth of detail :)

I now just need to get rid of the Marantz Amp and CD and Philips CD which is still sitting around.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Jason36:[
I now just need to get rid of the Marantz Amp and CD and Philips CD which is still sitting around.

Did you not enjoy the Marantz combo?

Only reason I ask is that I'm currently going with a Marantz PM7001/CD5003 combo and to be honest I've never enjoyed or played as much music as I have these last few weeks. No idea how Marantz phono stages compare but my vintage Systemdek IIX/RB250/Orton 2M Blue has never sounded sweeter.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
DIB:Jason36:[

Did you not enjoy the Marantz combo?

Only reason I ask is that I'm currently going with a Marantz PM7001/CD5003 combo and to be honest I've never enjoyed or played as much music as I have these last few weeks. No idea how Marantz phono stages compare but my vintage Systemdek IIX/RB250/Orton 2M Blue has never sounded sweeter.

Hi Dib,

Not that at all.....I had the Marantz PM6003 and CD6003 which I think were amazing with my Castle Richmond speakers and the Rega Planar3. However it was my intention to buy a more expensive setup this year and the Caspian Gear came along at the right price....although ealrier than anticipated and I would have been silly not to jump at it.

Only getting rid of the Marantz Amp and CD because it would sit doing nothing in the attic. So with the sale of that it makes what I paid for the Caspian Gear even more attractive :)

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Well I've gone from Uriah Heep to the following LP from the great June Tabor, even by my standards that's some jump...

41tAf9HFM3L._SS400_.jpg

Anyone who's never heard her version of The Band Played Waltzing Matilda should do when they get a quiet moment. Still sends shivers down my spine so many years after I first heard it.

Lady GaGa it ain't.

A

Anonymous

Tbh this question is on here every week, sucking the life out of every poster.If u are from Llla then respect but I bet you are listening to an inferior TT, so you are not really listening to the same vinyl that I do.

Regards

Will

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
runforfree:
Tbh this question is on here every week, sucking the life out of every poster.If u are from Llla then respect but I bet you are listening to an inferior TT, so you are not really listening to the same vinyl that I do.

Regards

Will

What?

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
runforfree:

Regards

Will

Just in case you havent heard runforfree, we live in a democratic state.....which means you do not have to read this post everyday or everyweek if you dont want to.

Personally I will continue to read this thread and post and share with other like minded music lovers what I am listening to and obtain new ideas of what I maybe should be listening to irrelevant of the price or level of my equipment or theirs. So with this in mind I currently have on:

Pearl Jam - Ten

I'm loving this album at the moment, amazing sound quality :)

TRENDING THREADS