What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 165 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I've got an early mono copy of this classic, but I'm thinking it'd sound much better in stereo. To be honest, I was just happy to see good early copy for the pittance I paid for it, didn't care if it was mono or stereo.

petsounds.jpg

The mono is the one to have; Brian mixed it in mono, the stereo was an afterthought for the hifi weirdos like most pop lps up until 1968/69.

It's a bit difficult to listen to these days... for me anyway. It's rather rooted in its time, but the voices and arrangements are lovely though. 'Friends', 'Sunflower' and 'Surf's Up' are my favourite Beach Boys.

Regards.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Tonight's listening:

The Zombies- Odessey and Oracle.

John Martyn-Solid Air.

Art Blakey-Indestructible.

The Jayhawks-The Sound Of Lies.

REM-Murmur.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I've got an early mono copy of this classic, but I'm thinking it'd sound much better in stereo. To be honest, I was just happy to see good early copy for the pittance I paid for it, didn't care if it was mono or stereo.

petsounds.jpg

The mono is the one to have; Brian mixed it in mono, the stereo was an afterthought for the hifi weirdos like most pop lps up until 1968/69.

It's a bit difficult to listen to these days... for me anyway. It's rather rooted in its time, but the voices and arrangements are lovely though. 'Friends', 'Sunflower' and 'Surf's Up' are my favourite Beach Boys.

Regards.

Yes, I agree.

But don't forget Holland and Love You. The latter is a lovely and slightly bonkers LP. Sounds great on vinyl.

Tonight's Bob listening:

Infidels

Saved

Slow Train Coming

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim-W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

petsounds.jpg

Regards.

Yes, I agree.

But don't forget Holland and Love You. The latter is a lovely and slightly bonkers LP. Sounds great on vinyl.

Tonight's Bob listening:

Infidels

Saved

Slow Train Coming

Hi Charlie

You're right. I love 'Holland' and 'Love You' too. Should have mentioned 'Smile' and 'Smiley Smile' too.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Well, apart from Pet Sounds, I only have the Best Of volumes 1, 2 and 3, and a mono edition of Wild Honey.

As neither of you mentioned any of these, should I throw them all away? ;)

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Well, apart from Pet Sounds, I only have the Best Of volumes 1, 2 and 3, and a mono edition of Wild Honey.

No!!!! Any Beach Boys records are worth having and a mono 'Wild Honey' is a thing of beauty. Just put the others on your shopping list. One good thing about this thread is that it prompts me to play stuff I hadn't played for a while so today is a Beach Boys day.

The The best album? I like them all but I have a soft spot for 'Dusk'; great songs and Johnny Marr=winner.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

No!!!! Any Beach Boys records are worth having and a mono 'Wild Honey' is a thing of beauty. Just put the others on your shopping list. One good thing about this thread is that it prompts me to play stuff I hadn't played for a while so today is a Beach Boys day.

The The best album? I like them all but I have a soft spot for 'Dusk'; great songs and Johnny Marr=winner.

I was just joking Jim, I've made a vow not to sell any more records, so there's no chance of the Beach Boys going anywhere.

Don't know that The The album, but I have every album before it, so I will look out for it.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

It's becoming a The Beach Boys-The The thread. Yes, Dusk is great. One of my wife's favourite LPs. And yes you're right, most things are improved by Mr.Marr's presence.

I too have a mono copy of Wild Honey, though it's not one of my favourites. Smiley Smile in mono is superb though.

I also really enjoyed the re-constructed/re-issue box set of SMiLE last year or was it the year before. Some incredible moments throughout the standard LP and the seven hours of sessions captured on the CDs.

Tonight:

Empire Burlesque - Bob of D

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
DIB said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Tonight:

Empire Burlesque - Bob of D

woman-screaming.jpeg

No, surely it's..

images

No, that's only Side 2.

I'm laughing! I guess this is Charlie's wife listening to another Bob record.

+1 for 'Smiley Smile' in mono.

I've got loads of 'Smile' bootlegs but it's all rather bitty. The best bits are beautiful beyond belief.

As this is a thread about today's listening here goes:

Terje Rypdal- Odyssey

Donovan-Fairytale

The Band-Music From Big Pink (mono)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The top picture is actually Charlie's wife about to throttle him.

There's only so much whining a woman can take before she snaps. :grin:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

You should see her when I play I Am Kurious Oranji or Dust Sucker.

Then again, maybe not.

Mmmmmm, starting to worry. No mention of Dylan at all there. :?

Do you think Charlie's wife has finally killed him, and she's just covering her tracks by naming random non Dylan albums from his collection without naming the artist, expecting us all with our superior knowledge to know what the f*ck she's talking about?

The mystery deepens.

If a Dylan album gets mentioned within the next week, we'll know she's panicked 'cos she thinks we're on to her, and of course in reality, Charlie couldn't last a f*cking day without playing anything by him.

Does anyone know where Charlie's house is? I know It's near Leeds, and most likely the next door neighbours have all moved away. I think one of us should knock on his door, and just check he's ok.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

You should see her when I play I Am Kurious Oranji or Dust Sucker.

Then again, maybe not.

Mmmmmm, starting to worry. No mention of Dylan at all there. :?

Do you think Charlie's wife has finally killed him, and she's just covering her tracks by naming random non Dylan albums from his collection without naming the artist, expecting us all with our superior knowledge to know what the f*ck she's talking about?

The mystery deepens.

If a Dylan album gets mentioned within the next week, we'll know she's panicked 'cos she thinks we're on to her, and of course in reality, Charlie couldn't last a f*cking day without playing anything by him.

Does anyone know where Charlie's house is? I know It's near Leeds, and most likely the next door neighbours have all moved away. I think one of us should knock on his door, and just check he's ok.

Currently playing:

Masked & Anonymous soundtrack. Google the track listing if you're not too familiar, BBB.

That's all I can say.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

It seems my attempt at humour wasn't quite as funny as I thought it was. :oops:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

It made me laugh!!

That's a relief. I thought it was just me that found it funny, and when you're the only one laughing and your own jokes, it's time to give up. :)

By the way, that is you isn't it Charlie, not your wife?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

It made me laugh!!

That's a relief. I thought it was just me that found it funny, and when you're the only one laughing and your own jokes, it's time to give up. :)

Well, tonight I've listened to. . .

Joan Armatrading, Nina Simone, Everything But The Girl and Jewel.

So I'm not so sure.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

So I'm not so sure.

Neither am I.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

It made me laugh!!

So I'm not so sure.

call the cops

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts