What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 161 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

images

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
jimbofisher said:
Playing a few from my measly collection!

Julian Cope - Saint Julian

Ian McCulloch - Candleland

Ever growing collection. ;)

Should grow again on the 25th, expecting The Jam box set from the wife. Looking forward to it expanding further in the new year.

Now to complete The Cruical Three:

Pete Wylie - Sinful

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

stevebrock said:
BBB, bloody heel where do these records come from:)

I'm quite happy with my collection, just wish I hadn't sold some of the records I have.

That particular album was found at a car boot sale, for 25p (I think). There's a track on it called E.V.A which was sampled by Fatboy Slim ( I think). There's some amazing sounds on it.

Edit: It wasn't Fatboy Slim. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Jacques_Perrey

GardenSounds

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Must give this another spin. I always thought this was one of those albums that took off with hip hop heads because of one massive tune containing a stonking break (Apache), but was otherwise pretty weak... Not sure I've listened to it all the way through TBH!

Re. Jean Jacques Perrey EVA. I'm sure when it got reissued a few years back, it was trumpted as "sampled by Fat Boy Slim", so I think you're right!

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
This afternoon its been, Pipe Organ, Steely Dan and Paul Simon, in-between preparing food for the Christmas meal, definitely no jingle bells, angels, shepards, sheep, or mangers . . . :?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Marvindodgers said:
stevebrock said:
The Human League - Dare

FGTH - Welcome to the Pleasuredome

A couple of excellent choices there. Two of my favourite albums of all time, regardless of format.

Do you know what? they sound bloodyt superb, SQ on boith is excellent, no pops/crackels whatsoever!

Just putting Neil Young Live at the Cellar Door on - todays purchase - anotrher brilliant recording/SQ

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Another day, another Bob fest.

1) Town Hall 1963

2) Carnegie Hall 1963

3) Saved (it's my kind of Christmas album)

and then a family revolt forced me to deviate from the path of one true Bob and onto:

4) Eden - Everything But The Girl

5) Monsters Of Folk

I'd forgotten how varied and good most of the songs are on this.

6) Wincing The Night Away - The Shins

7) All Things Must Pass - George Harrison

8) Love is a bourgeois construct - PSB double 12inch EP

9) Electric Box set - PSB

And for the hangover that ensued:

10) Clear Spot - Beefheart/Magic Band

11) We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank - Modest Mouse

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
stevebrock said:
A Bob fan by any chance

Ever so slightly!

I've been listening to Bob since I was 16 (three decades ago) but in the last five years it's intensified and become obsessional. I own nearly all of the official UK/US releases on vinyl and/or CD and that's really only just the tip of the iceberg that's out there. I'm relatively normal compared to the various stratas of devotees and disciples who I've encountered on line and at record fairs.

The current obsession, for the record, is the 6LP box Sony snuck out a few weeks ago to circumvent the 50 year copyright rule on his 1963 recordings. It's truly revelatory. Silly prices on eBay of course, but actually still available in a real record shop. (Thanks again, Jumbo, Leeds).

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Best hangover cure no.26

Slurp way through a bottle of medium dry sherry whilst listening to Side Tracks - Bob Dylan

I'm so nicely sozzled I've even got my guitar out and started, ill-fatedly no doubt, singing & strumming along.

Wife and children are but an hour away from their return and a mighty roast is on the sizzle. A perfect recipe for family harmony.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
stevebrock said:
The Waterboys - This is the Sea

What an awesome album - takes me back to uni days late 80s

Love that album too.

It is also a classic example of why I don't have as many albums on vinyl as BBB thought I would have. I have an older brother also into his music, he had this on vinyl so I didn't need it as could borrow his, also taped it off him for the car. I would also buy albums on tape as back then they would put bonus tracks on the tape and I had a Walkman. When I was at college I was able to access a savings account set up by my grandparents. The idea of this account was to be a deposit for a house or pay for college, I used it to buy my first hi-fi - Rega TT, Technics cd, Yamaha cassette, Rotel amp and Celestion speakers (had had a Panasonic music centre before then),TT was purchased for my existing vinyl but from that point on I bought CDs as that's what I thought were better, so when I had my first job and could start buying albums I had borrowed from brothers and friends they were CDs.

Anyway, am now playing John Cougar Mellencamp - Scarecrow, purchased off eBay recently as had it on tape when it came out.

TRENDING THREADS