What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 137 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

jimbofisher said:
Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space - Spiritualized

and loving it

One of the great albums of the nineties, we just need to convince Steve.

Is it the the Plain Records re-press?

And is it worth buying?

A

Anonymous

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
jimbofisher said:

and loving it

And is it worth buying?

Yes yes and yes brilliant lp

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
jimbofisher said:

and loving it

And is it worth buying?

It is the Plain re-press. Definitely worth it, especially for side 4, Cop Shoot Cop.

well packaged double album but not gatefold. Comes with the 'medication' leaflet

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
jimbofisher said:

and loving it

And is it worth buying?

Slightly heretical but I never "got" the fuss about this album. And I tried several times upon release. That said, there's loads of albums I've revisited and been pleasantly surprised to rediscover. I've only got the CD but will try again.

(When I worked at the Roadmenders, Northampton in the late 80s I saw Spacemen 3 play a fantastic gig and a bonkers afternoon soundcheck).

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie

I only have the CD too, but I first heard it before the "fuss" on the day of release, and everyone in the office was blown away by it.

Not sure why I wasn't at that Spacemen 3 gig, I was into them at the time, and Northampton was probably the nearest town that had good gigs, but sadly, I wasn't there. Did see them at Reading, but Spacemen 3, big stage, and day light did not really work. Loop were on too, and friends of mine saw them in Northampton, but again, mysteriously, I didn't go.

Loop-Gilded Eternity, MMmmmmm, now that's an album.

What was so bonkers about the soundcheck?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
jimbofisher said:

and loving it

And is it worth buying?

Slightly heretical but I never "got" the fuss about this album. And I tried several times upon release. That said, there's loads of albums I've revisited and been pleasantly surprised to rediscover. I've only got the CD but will try again.

(When I worked at the Roadmenders, Northampton in the late 80s I saw Spacemen 3 play a fantastic gig and a bonkers afternoon soundcheck).

I have the Plain Records repress and it sounds fine, however the music is ok - its growing on me

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

51G62WiZ5kL._SX450_.jpg

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie

I only have the CD too, but I first heard it before the "fuss" on the day of release, and everyone in the office was blown away by it.

Not sure why I wasn't at that Spacemen 3 gig, I was into them at the time, and Northampton was probably the nearest town that had good gigs, but sadly, I wasn't there. Did see them at Reading, but Spacemen 3, big stage, and day light did not really work. Loop were on too, and friends of mine saw them in Northampton, but again, mysteriously, I didn't go.

Loop-Gilded Eternity, MMmmmmm, now that's an album.

What was so bonkers about the soundcheck?

I was working for a theatre company based in the Roadmenders building, and our entire afternoon rehearsal was engulfed in the heavy reverberations of their soundcheck. One of my fellow thesps was a big, clued-up S3 fan and persuaded the rest of us to give up our practice and go and watch them.

Their manager apologised for disturbing us and allowed us to sit in on the swathes of sonic mayhem filling the building. Hitherto a gladioli-waving Indie kid, I was much taken by this attack of the drone. Although their albums never really captured enough of it.

So, not really bonkers, more of an introduction to new forms of guitar-based music.

One last name drop anecdote: around the same time The Stone Roses played there too. Once more our rehearsals were abandoned as I Am The Resurrection spewed out of the PA at 3pm. Fantastic night time gig too.

geordie777

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Had a massive vinyl session yesterday

Black Sabbath - Vol 4 (twice)

Deep Purple - Machine Head

The Clash - Londons Calling

Primal Scream - Screamadelica

Lou Reed - Live In New York 72'

Radiohead - King Of Limbs

The Fall - Remit

Kings of Leon - Only By The Night