What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 132 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Bogester

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
The Wedding Present's last album, "Valentina", which is a great album and sounds excellent on vinyl. I bought it for $10 from my local record store (Amoeba Records on Haight in San Francisco- not bad to have this as your local store :)) and I was pleasantly surprised at how good the vinyl version is.

A

Anonymous

Harry Nilsson Duit On Mon Dei

Cream The Story of Cream

Average White Band AWB

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Bogester said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Getting drunk/drunker to:

A-sides - The Fall

B-sides - The Fall

Next up:

The World Won't Listen - Smiths comp. (A double LP version I came across in Australia a few years back).

I own a LOT of records by The Fall (and, let's face it, there are a lot of records to own :) ). and, by and large, they sound much better on vinyl. I've rebought a number of their albums on CD over the years and generally been disappointed. Take the "Hip Priest and Kamerads" compilation - part of the CD have clearly been ripped from a vinyl record! I also got The Smiths vinyl box set about 18 months ago as a present from my wife, but alas, I don't think it's very good (I've never told the missus this, of course). For instance, some tracks are distorted in places (e.g. "Back To The Old House" on "Louder Than Bombs") and, curiously, the high-frequency roll-off as the needle approaches the middle of the record is more pronounced on this collection than any other I own. I'd definitely say the CD versions are better (not to mention a boatload cheaper!).

I agree with you about Ths Fall on vinyl. Their records sound thinner on CD. I've got stacks on vinyl and a fair wodge on CD too. All my favourites (Nation's, Hex, Gramme, Witch, Info, Oranj, Shiftwork) all sound much more convincing on vinyl. Even some of their late-ish stuff works well on vinyl too, Ersatz and the one before that (forgetten the title, too lazy to look) are better on "modern" vinyl.

I can't comment on The Smiths' recent vinyl outings. The original vinyl easily triumphs over the various CD albums and numerous comps. And continuing the North-West Manc/Salford theme, I'm a huge fan of Joy Divison and New Order in vinyl form. Low-Life and Technique, in particular, are great sounding on vinyl but dead and flat in comparison on CD.

What are your favourite Fall albums? Always good to have another MES fan on here.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
stevebrock said:
The Smiths vinyl box set

I did think about this..........

However I have sourced the original pressings and they sound good epescially The Queen...... & Strangeways.......

Hatful of Hollow sounds nice too

Meat Is Murder, although not necessarily my favourite Smiths LP, sounds so good on vinyl. The debut LP too, for all it's production flaws/shortcomings sounds so much better on vinyl than CD.

The three you mention are great sounding too, as you say.

Bogester

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Bogester said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

A-sides - The Fall

B-sides - The Fall

Next up:

The World Won't Listen - Smiths comp. (A double LP version I came across in Australia a few years back).

I own a LOT of records by The Fall (and, let's face it, there are a lot of records to own :) ). and, by and large, they sound much better on vinyl. I've rebought a number of their albums on CD over the years and generally been disappointed. Take the "Hip Priest and Kamerads" compilation - part of the CD have clearly been ripped from a vinyl record! I also got The Smiths vinyl box set about 18 months ago as a present from my wife, but alas, I don't think it's very good (I've never told the missus this, of course). For instance, some tracks are distorted in places (e.g. "Back To The Old House" on "Louder Than Bombs") and, curiously, the high-frequency roll-off as the needle approaches the middle of the record is more pronounced on this collection than any other I own. I'd definitely say the CD versions are better (not to mention a boatload cheaper!).

I agree with you about Ths Fall on vinyl. Their records sound thinner on CD. I've got stacks on vinyl and a fair wodge on CD too. All my favourites (Nation's, Hex, Gramme, Witch, Info, Oranj, Shiftwork) all sound much more convincing on vinyl. Even some of their late-ish stuff works well on vinyl too, Ersatz and the one before that (forgetten the title, too lazy to look) are better on "modern" vinyl.

I can't comment on The Smiths' recent vinyl outings. The original vinyl easily triumphs over the various CD albums and numerous comps. And continuing the North-West Manc/Salford theme, I'm a huge fan of Joy Divison and New Order in vinyl form. Low-Life and Technique, in particular, are great sounding on vinyl but dead and flat in comparison on CD.

What are your favourite Fall albums? Always good to have another MES fan on here.

My favourite Fall albums are the ones where MES is/was at his most verbose. I love Hex (although I never really got on with the last track "And This Day"), TNSG, Grotesque, The Wonderful and Frightening World Of.... It's hard to pick my absolute favourite, but one album I think is criminally underrated is "Perverted By Language". I just love the long tracks on this album, like "Garden", "Smile" and, of course, "Eat Y'self Fitter". Rather bizarrely (but totally true), The Fall played at my wedding a few years ago (it's a long story). And the missus and I got marriage advice from MES afterwards! So it's hard not to remain a Fall fan, even if the quality of their output never again scales the heights of the 80s.

I also agree with you about New Order/Joy Division on vinyl - the CDs are vastly inferior. My wife bought all of the albums on vinyl at or around the time they were released, only to rebuy them later on CD. It's only now that we're listening to more vinyl again that it's become apparent how poor many of our CDs are by comparison.

Cheers

Bogester

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Bogester said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Bogester said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

A-sides - The Fall

B-sides - The Fall

Next up:

My favourite Fall albums are the ones where MES is/was at his most verbose. I love Hex (although I never really got on with the last track "And This Day"), TNSG, Grotesque, The Wonderful and Frightening World Of.... It's hard to pick my absolute favourite, but one album I think is criminally underrated is "Perverted By Language". I just love the long tracks on this album, like "Garden", "Smile" and, of course, "Eat Y'self Fitter". Rather bizarrely (but totally true), The Fall played at my wedding a few years ago (it's a long story). And the missus and I got marriage advice from MES afterwards! So it's hard not to remain a Fall fan, even if the quality of their output never again scales the heights of the 80s.

I also agree with you about New Order/Joy Division on vinyl - the CDs are vastly inferior. My wife bought all of the albums on vinyl at or around the time they were released, only to rebuy them later on CD. It's only now that we're listening to more vinyl again that it's become apparent how poor many of our CDs are by comparison.

Cheers

Bogester

Yep, Perverted is a great LP, for Fitter alone.

It's beyond hip (priest or otherwise) to have The mighty Fall playing at your wedding. Sounds like a great story.

Are you an expat or a (native) of America?

Peace etc.

Bogester

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm a British expat, living in SF and working in Silicon Valley since last year. Who knows when I'll be back in dear old Blighty! Still, there are worse places to be holed up indefinitely, that's for sure :) The Fall thing came about because my best man knows the producer of the John Peel show (Peel died the year before we got married), who contacted them and asked them if they'd do it (they'd cancelled a gig at our wedding venue earlier in the year, so that was used as "leverage", I think) - amazingly, they said yes. And neither my soon-to-be wife nor I knew anything about it till they came on stage at our wedding reception. They proceeded to play an hour-long set in front of a (mostly) bemused audience! And all they wanted in return for the trouble was a few beers, a hotel room and their BFH :) Totally and utterly bonkers...

Ta

Bogester

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Bogester said:
I'm a British expat, living in SF and working in Silicon Valley since last year. Who knows when I'll be back in dear old Blighty! Still, there are worse places to be holed up indefinitely, that's for sure :) The Fall thing came about because my best man knows the producer of the John Peel show (Peel died the year before we got married), who contacted them and asked them if they'd do it (they'd cancelled a gig at our wedding venue earlier in the year, so that was used as "leverage", I think) - amazingly, they said yes. And neither my soon-to-be wife nor I knew anything about it till they came on stage at our wedding reception. They proceeded to play an hour-long set in front of a (mostly) bemused audience! And all they wanted in return for the trouble was a few beers, a hotel room and their BFH :) Totally and utterly bonkers...

Ta

Bogester

Great story, thanks for sharing it.

Did they play "Cary Grant's Wedding" for your first dance though?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
More unpacking:

Heaven In A Wild Flower - Nick Drake ccompilation

The Visitor - Jim O'Rourke

Dusk At Cubist Castle - Olivia Tremor Control

Lipstick Traces - Various based on Greil Marcus' book

Paul's Boutique - The Beastie Boys

Follow Me Down - Vanguard label Psych comp.

Into Battle With The Art Of Noise

In Through The Outdoor - Zep

Really craving my substantial Bob Dylan collection, but it's unobtainable right now. I've had to settle for the CDs. Pah!!!

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
New Order - Technique

Toy & Natasha Khan - The Bride (7", Speedy Underground)

Toy/The Horrors (12" Record Store Day 2013)

Pulp vs Soulwax (12" Record Store Day 2013)

M.I.A. - Kala

Gang Gang Dance - Eye Contact

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
stevebrock said:
The Visitor - Jim O'Rourke

Crikey, i recognise him, think he appeared on a Zero 7 'late night' compilation

think its ghostships in a storm or summat

Yes, he's got quite an illustrious track record (puns intended), as an artist, producer, collaborator and general go-to guy for all things avant-goes-mainstream, if that makes sense.

His solo albums, to my ears, are all worth investigating. The Visitor is a pure instrumental and cuts between modish "background" music and occasional sweeps and surges towards his more left-field sonics.

One of his most famous contributions is to Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot LP, as a sound manipulator-producer, twiddler of knobs. The Kid A of Americana, they dubbed it at the time in 2002. It's not a bad tag line for the album. One of their masterpieces I would say.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts