What turntable for the Leema?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
@ Chebby

"Vinyl lovers enjoy the crackles and pops and groove noise and pre-echos and the danger of wipng out hundreds (or thousands) of pounds of cartridge in one careless moment! They love the work involved, the cleaning and dusting, the technicalities of overhang, effective mass, alignment, tracking force, anti-skate, VTF, azimuth etc. etc."

Oddly, I don't care much for tinkering with turntables, apart from the occasional cart change when the need arises.

Have to say, also, that since 1978 the turntable has been the only constant format, along with the FM tuner, even when CDPs first became fashionable. I've skipped around streaming for reasons I've given in the past.

In the time I've owned turntables I can;t recall killing a stylus because of knackered records or carelessness on my part.

I'm no 'hipster' who wants to impress friends and foe alike. I just love the qualities of vinyl playback.

Given I've owned this Xpression since 2005, and seriously upgraded the amp, think it's about time to put the Pro-ject out to grass.

plastic penguin said:
@ Chebby

"Vinyl lovers enjoy the crackles and pops and groove noise and pre-echos and the danger of wipng out hundreds (or thousands) of pounds of cartridge in one careless moment! They love the work involved, the cleaning and dusting, the technicalities of overhang, effective mass, alignment, tracking force, anti-skate, VTF, azimuth etc. etc."

Oddly, I don't care much for tinkering with turntables, apart from the occasional cart change when the need arises.

Have to say, also, that since 1978 the turntable has been the only constant format, along with the FM tuner, even when CDPs first became fashionable. I've skipped around streaming for reasons I've given in the past.

In the time I've owned turntables I can;t recall killing a stylus because of knackered records or carelessness on my part.

I'm no 'hipster' who wants to impress friends and foe alike. I just love the qualities of vinyl playback.

Given I've owned this Xpression since 2005, and seriously upgraded the amp, think it's about time to put the Pro-ject out to grass.

Would you be keeping the Clearaudio cartridge or selling that along with the Xpression?

That'll depend on the quality of the TT. For example if a Gyro is chosen I would probably look further up the cart ladder. If the ClearAudio TT I would use the one already fitted, unless I can get a discount for a non-cart TT.

If I go for a similar priced Pro-ject I will probably transfer the cart over.

plastic penguin said:
That'll depend on the quality of the TT. For example if a Gyro is chosen I would probably look further up the cart ladder. If the ClearAudio TT I would use the one already fitted, unless I can get a discount for a non-cart TT.

If I go for a similar priced Pro-ject I will probably transfer the cart over.

OK, pretty much what I would do in your situation. PS:- If you do opt for the Gyro I might suggest you get just that and not the Gyro SE as, that way, you get a hinged acrylic cover which can be an expensive optional extra if you go for a 'naked' turntable.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
stevebrock said:
Don't take offence PP but find it surprising your asking on this platform about a TT to match your Amp..... really?

The turntables in your budget are all going to compliment your amp - think it's more important that you match the cartridge & phono stage

If you do get a Gyro - then you can still get the cheaper SE version - then have an acrylic dustcover made - I know a guy who makes them they are superb value for money - he does all the cut outs for cables at the back etc £70

A Rega P6 with Anita wouldn't be a bad choice

Not too sure who Anita is but that turntable and the Ania might not be a bad choice either.... ;-)

PP doesn't want Rega.( post #4 of thread.)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Don't take offence PP but find it surprising your asking on this platform about a TT to match your Amp..... really?

The turntables in your budget are all going to compliment your amp - think it's more important that you match the cartridge & phono stage

If you do get a Gyro - then you can still get the cheaper SE version - then have an acrylic dustcover made - I know a guy who makes them they are superb value for money - he does all the cut outs for cables at the back etc £70

stevebrock said:

Not too sure who Anita is but that turntable and the Ania might not be a bad choice either.... ;-)

For others....

chebby said:
Al ears said:
stevebrock said:

PP doesn't want Rega.( post #4 of thread.)

I know that (see edited post) ... tell stevebrock :)

Midrange Rega and Pro-ject doesn't get the juices flowing. I'm sure they sound fabulous, but another table with a minimalist look? Not really.

Rega P5 or 7 aren't particularly beautiful but they look quirky. If I can't find a table with looks then 'quirk' would be a good alternative.

stevebrock said:

Asked the question because I need to get a handle on how much to spend. I did state in my opening gambit that originally I was looking at a table before I purchased the Tucana. So I'm trying to establish (confirm) if the goal posts have moved because of a 4k amp (when new).

No Steve. 2k max for table. If that means s/hand from a recognised dealer that'd be fine.

Originally - going back about year ago - I had tested Pro-ject Classic (looks fabulous) and a Xperience SB. Both sounded very good but wasn't much of an upgrade over my cheapo Xpression. However, that was with a bog-standard cart (Ortofons), so perhaps they could be improved by a better cart, similar to my current one.

Thank you , Steve for being so helpful

Anyway, I've always had an hankering for Thorens. Heard one back in the 80s at Laskys... and sounded and looked fantastic. However, the modern ones are very odd looking.

The old TD160 looked very similar to the Pro-ject Classic.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts