What turntable for the Leema?

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
On Saturday I drove over to the dealer with Goldring in hand (well, in the box actually).

Fair play to the dealer, he fitted the cartridge which took him around 20 minutes, by the time he aligned and weighted the Goldring. Luckily he had a ClearAudio already set up for dem purposes. Have to say the Goldring has given the Classic (Rosenut finish to closely match the mahogany uprights of the rack) a audible lift over the original Ortofon Silver: More open and transparent and detailed, yet at no time do you get the feeling it was anything other than vinyl.

After close on an hour, the turntable was packed, parted with my money and headed home through the traffic.

Once home, after a nice mug of brown, I decided it would be wise to read the instructions... this was the area I was a little apprehensive. Usually I do the blokey thing of glancing at the cover and then shout "where's the hammer?!" But no, with more than I've ever spent on a table and my sainted Goldring, I took extra time... a lot extra.

Don't laugh but it took me around an hour to assemble: I haven't assembled a turntable since I purchased the Xpression, so I'm not exactly experienced in this area of hi-fi.

Spinning the first piece of black stuff and the effort was worthwhile: The clarity and immediacy of the sound is stunning. Vocals and instruments had so much more transparency... and space. Any warm undertone of the Xpression was replaced purity of the recording. I'm hearing layers not heard from vinyl before. The Xpression is impressive for the money but the Classic takes the vinyl experience up another two or three rungs of the ladder.

And yes, it looks really, really nice. It has a whiff of tables of yesteryear but with modern components.

Due to work commitments I couldn't enjoy the table as much as I would like -- the south coast beckoned. And today (Sunday) we spent the day around the ma-in-laws. It was only this evening I could play much more while getting my daughter's school stuff ready. As yet, I haven't spent any long periods with the latest bundle.

On brief reflection of the Pro-ject/Goldring combo: Fabulous.

Can you get better for the money? Of course. But that was never my aim: My main objective was to maximise my limited budget to the full, and to achieve a substantial upgrade over the Xpression/ClearAudio. Mission accompolished.

plastic penguin said:
On Saturday I drove over to the dealer with Goldring in hand (well, in the box actually).

Fair play to the dealer, he fitted the cartridge which took him around 20 minutes, by the time he aligned and weighted the Goldring. Luckily he had a ClearAudio already set up for dem purposes. Have to say the Goldring has given the Classic (Rosenut finish to closely match the mahogany uprights of the rack) a audible lift over the original Ortofon Silver: More open and transparent and detailed, yet at no time do you get the feeling it was anything other than vinyl.

After close on an hour, the turntable was packed, parted with my money and headed home through the traffic.

Once home, after a nice mug of brown, I decided it would be wise to read the instructions... this was the area I was a little apprehensive. Usually I do the blokey thing of glancing at the cover and then shout "where's the hammer?!" But no, with more than I've ever spent on a table and my sainted Goldring, I took extra time... a lot extra.

Don't laugh but it took me around an hour to assemble: I haven't assembled a turntable since I purchased the Xpression, so I'm not exactly experienced in this area of hi-fi.

Spinning the first piece of black stuff and the effort was worthwhile: The clarity and immediacy of the sound is stunning. Vocals and instruments had so much more transparency... and space. Any warm undertone of the Xpression was replaced purity of the recording. I'm hearing layers not heard from vinyl before. The Xpression is impressive for the money but the Classic takes the vinyl experience up another two or three rungs of the ladder.

And yes, it looks really, really nice. It has a whiff of tables of yesteryear but with modern components.

Due to work commitments I couldn't enjoy the table as much as I would like -- the south coast beckoned. And today (Sunday) we spent the day around the ma-in-laws. It was only this evening I could play much more while getting my daughter's school stuff ready. As yet, I haven't spent any long periods with the latest bundle.

On brief reflection of the Pro-ject/Goldring combo: Fabulous.

Can you get better for the money? Of course. But that was never my aim: My main objective was to maximise my limited budget to the full, and to achieve a substantial upgrade over the Xpression/ClearAudio. Mission accompolished.

Excellent write up. Really glad all your questions and hard work paid off.

I am curious when you mentioned assemble though. With the Classic, after having cartridge fitted at dealers, exactly how much is there to assemble? Only asking because I have never owned a Pro-eject.

Al, he could have left it set-up with just the transport screws tightened, but he advised, because I had a hour and half ride, that safety of the TT would be assured as it left the factory. He only left the cartridge in situ:

Add the turntable, anti-static mat, dust cover and anti-skate device (weight on a piece of thread). Then useing a template I checked alignment and the weight of the cartridge.

plastic penguin said:
Al, he could have left it set-up with just the transport screws tightened, but he advised, because I had a hour and half ride, that safety of the TT would be assured as it left the factory. He only left the cartridge in situ:

Add the turntable, anti-static mat, dust cover and anti-skate device (weight on a piece of thread). Then useing a template I checked alignment and the weight of the cartridge.

I see. He was obviously being very cautious. ;-) But rightly so, the platter could put strain on the bearing if left in situ during transportation.

In hindsight, it wasn't that complicated to assemble. I think the only thing that took a bit of time was the cartridge weighted correctly and making sure the table was level on the rack. Given my diffidence of this type of thing I re-read the instructions a few times ( and kept looking in the box to make sure I hadn't missed anything off). It sounds pathetic to more seasoned assemblers but I was ultra cautious.

I could have waited a few months and saved up for a Gyro, I do believe that would've tipped me over the edge and sent me running for the Prozac. And the other reason for not buying a Gyro was: I would be too protective of the deck, given the price. Every spec of dust I would be cleaning all the time. Then I would tell my family 'don't slam the door; don't sneeze within 5' of the deck'. *wacko* *blush* I would be a ruddy pain in the backside to live with.

So I'm more than happy with the sound, love the looks... and I've a cool Goldring cartridge to boot.

plastic penguin said:
In hindsight, it wasn't that complicated to assemble. I think the only thing that took a bit of time was the cartridge weighted correctly and making sure the table was level on the rack. Given my diffidence of this type of thing I re-read the instructions a few times ( and kept looking in the box to make sure I hadn't missed anything off). It sounds pathetic to more seasoned assemblers but I was ultra cautious.

I could have waited a few months and saved up for a Gyro, I do believe that would've tipped me over the edge and sent me running for the Prozac. And the other reason for not buying a Gyro was: I would be too protective of the deck, given the price. Every spec of dust I would be cleaning all the time. Then I would tell my family 'don't slam the door; don't sneeze within 5' of the deck'. *wacko* *blush* I would be a ruddy pain in the backside to live with.

So I'm more than happy with the sound, love the looks... and I've a cool Goldring cartridge to boot.

Great. Enjoy. You got where you are without selling a kidney and it that suffices then that's happy days. Buy more vinyl! ;-)

Can't see it being a problem. It will have to wait as the housing association have agreed over the last couple of days to modernise the kitchen and add french doors to the living room.

Exact date yet to be confirmed, and the hi-fi will all have to be boxed up before the work commences.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Can't see it being a problem. It will have to wait as the housing association have agreed over the last couple of days to modernise the kitchen and add french doors to the living room.

Exact date yet to be confirmed, and the hi-fi will all have to be boxed up before the work commences.

It’ll take two seconds. (Assuming you haven’t packed it all yet.)

Just move the guns/prostitutes/piles of drugs etc. out of shot if you are shy about them.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
5 months and 315 posts. Finished it in 3 hrs straight. Couldn't put my phone down once :)

Must really commend the civility demonstrated in this thread.

Wish we youngsters could get to 3 pages straight, without half of us fighting, and the other half being evicted :)

Exemplary sirs...what an example to enumerate.

newlash09 said:
5 months and 315 posts. Finished it in 3 hrs straight. Couldn't put my phone down once :)

Must really commend the civility demonstrated in this thread.

Wish we youngsters could get to 3 pages straight, without half of us fighting, and the other half being evicted :)

Exemplary sirs...what an example to enumerate.

+1

Thanks to all for keeping this long thread civilised. Far too often many threads get out of hand, although I don't know why: I 'get' the personal and subjective views but there's never any call for it to be 'personal'.

I pleased to say I love my new TT, and the Goldring cart is a peach. It isn't the best money can buy or - perhaps - in its price bracket, but it ticks all my boxes: Retro looks, build quality and ultimately the uplift in SQ.

Thanks again.

plastic penguin said:
Thanks to all for keeping this long thread civilised. Far too often many threads get out of hand, although I don't know why: I 'get' the personal and subjective views but there's never any call for it to be 'personal'.

I pleased to say I love my new TT, and the Goldring cart is a peach. It isn't the best money can buy or - perhaps - in its price bracket, but it ticks all my boxes: Retro looks, build quality and ultimately the uplift in SQ.

Thanks again.

It is quite a relief to see such an informative and interesting thread go on for so long without the usual as+holes turning it into something that they can happily interfere with.

Well done all.

plastic penguin said:

Thanks again.

Apologies for double post, got a bit excited with the 'Save' button........ ;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts