What turntable for the Leema?

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
I've decided. Crikey that was long few days. I'm ordering the Classic, to be picked up on Saturday 27th. This'll give me enough time to search for a replacement cartridge. Not enticed by a Ortofon Silver, which, strangely, doesn't appear on UK websites as a separate entity (minus a table). But given they [Henleys] suggest a £425 Ortofon Black as an upgrade for this particular table, this gives me extra flexibility with a replacement.

Can feel the weight lifted from my shoulders now. *blush*

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Make sure the dealer sets everything up at your home. (Especially the cartridge alignment.)

Then if anything gets 'bricked' in transit (or set-up) he has to fix the situation for you at HIS expense.

I spent my younger years setting up all my own cartridges and TTs (luckily without accident or incident) until my last one in 2009, but at our age we have earnt the right to have some other schmuck do it for us and save us the hassle and worry :)

He won't be able to set up the table at my gaff - he's closer to Hertfordshire than Surrey. That's one of the reasons I decided on the Pro-ject or ClearAudio - minimal set-up. Couldn't be doing with following intricate diagrams, assembling a whole TT from scratch.

No idea what cartridge, although Goldring looks favourite at the moment.

iceman16

Pp.. The Quintet black is a very good cart and easy to install (done it myself) thanks to its straight body and aligning it just took me a few mins. Btw I bought a cart alignment protractor from ebay which is made specifically for the Project 9cc evo arm compared to those cardboard strips. It made a huge diff. in sound. The ebay seller is from Hungary if you want to check.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

I had a Goldring 1042 for 11 years from 1996 until 2007 (with two replacement styli during that period) and it was superb. I'd get another like a shot if I still had any LPs and enough time/money to indulge myself.

Slightly on the 'dark' side but detailed and vivid and a huge soundscape for an MM. Sometimes i'd just spend hours playing nothing but 12" singles which were a blast!!

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

I had a Goldring 1042 for 11 years from 1996 until 2007 (with two replacement styli during that period) and it was superb. I'd get another like a shot if I still had any LPs and enough time/money to indulge myself.

Slightly on the 'dark' side but detailed and vivid and a huge soundscape for an MM. Sometimes i'd just spend hours playing nothing but 12" singles which were a blast!!

Certainly you've mentioned many times how impressive the 1042 is, and it comes with a good reputation. As I've owned older Goldrings from the past and used on the Garrard decks (G800 and 800E), I am quite tempted by another Goldring.

iceman16 said:
Pp.. The Quintet black is a very good cart and easy to install (done it myself) thanks to its straight body and aligning it just took me a few mins. Btw I bought a cart alignment protractor from ebay which is made specifically for the Project 9cc evo arm compared to those cardboard strips. It made a huge diff. in sound. The ebay seller is from Hungary if you want to check.

Now, now, don't confuse the man. The Quintet is a moving coil...... ;-)

I've not heard it either. Unlike other components it's a pain to even think about demoing more than one cart. As I like Goldring generally, and Pro-ject (Henleys) reckon you can use a £425 cart (Ortofon Black), the £450 Goldring doen't seem like an overkill.

The only real objective is achieve a fairly significant upgrade on my current spinney thing.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
I've decided. Crikey that was long few days. I'm ordering the Classic, to be picked up on Saturday 27th. This'll give me enough time to search for a replacement cartridge. Not enticed by a Ortofon Silver, which, strangely, doesn't appear on UK websites as a separate entity (minus a table). But given they [Henleys] suggest a £425 Ortofon Black as an upgrade for this particular table, this gives me extra flexibility with a replacement.

Was this version available with the Ortofon Quintet red ?

alchemist 1 said:
plastic penguin said:

Was this version available with the Ortofon Quintet red ?

The standard fitment is the Ortofon 2M Silver

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
The 2M Silver isn't available as a seperate entity as It's designed as a "fitted by OEM" cart. Replacement stylus are, but carts not.

As mentioned standard Classic comes with the 2M Silver, and the Classic SB Superpack comes with speed control, clamp-it, Quintet Red, leather-it mat and better RCA cables.

I'd be quite tempted to listen to it with a 2M Bronze to be honest.

plastic penguin said:
Yup, the Super Pack version has the MC cartridge, while the basic model has the Silver.

I see. Still think its a good idea to avoid MCs purely down to cost of replacement if damaged and their low output voltage that usually means more outlay on a phono preamp or step-up transformer.

Al ears said:
plastic penguin said:
Yup, the Super Pack version has the MC cartridge, while the basic model has the Silver.

I see. Still think its a good idea to avoid MCs purely down to cost of replacement if damaged and their low output voltage that usually means more outlay on a phono preamp or step-up transformer.

Indeed. I think a good quality MM or MI (in my case) is a safer bet.

First time in ages I am genuinely excited by hearing my new table with a Goldring cart. Roll on Saturday. *good*

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
To a relative layman like myself, a cartridge not available individually seems bonkers. Where does it sit in the family of Ortofon MM cartridges?

It's common practice, offering something OEMs can buy in bulk and pre-fit.

https://www.ortofon.com/stylus-2m-silver-p-396

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
To a relative layman like myself, a cartridge not available individually seems bonkers. Where does it sit in the family of Ortofon MM cartridges?

It's common practice, offering something OEMs can buy in bulk and pre-fit.

https://www.ortofon.com/stylus-2m-silver-p-396

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
According to your link, the Silver cart is average, as it sits between the RED and BLUE.

That's the problem I have with this Ortofon: It doesn't indicate much beyond guess work... there's no direct comparison with any like-for-like cartridge.

As the article states :
- 2M Silver phono cartridge is an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) model that takes most of the characteristics of the 2M Red.
- 2M Silver's special feature is silver plated copper coils, the same coil wire material as in the 2M Bronze and Black models, with a reduced number of windings.
- 2M Silver will be an upgrade compared to 2M Red due to a special suspension and silver plated copper wire material.

This indicates that the range goes Red, Silver, Blue, Bronze, Black.

Above and beyond that it's really up to the end user to research through articles, reviews, forums, websites, visits to dealers to listen to the range etc

2M Silver - Personally, I'm not a fan of it, doesn't suit my ears at all - when I bought my 2XPSB it was the first thing to be fired off in to the realm of eBay. The Blue people rave over - and it's an easy upgrade for Red/Silver owner - just swapping the sylus. The 2M Black I also find a little to analytical and bit too detailed for my listening tastes. The only stand out cart for me in that range is the Bronze. But again - peoples ears differ - so your mileage may vary !! As you well know there are an absolute plethora of carts to choose from in the wonderful world of hifi, it would be nice to have the one dealer 10 miles from the house that serves strong coffee, a proper full english, offers free massages, and has every brand option under the sun you want to listen to. This utopia unfortunately isn't within grasp, which is why we hang out here ;-)

D

Deleted member 108165

Lovely response as usual brownz *good* Fully agree with your thoughts on the 2M range, the Bronze was my favourite too. Everyones ears are different hence why I've settled on Nagaoka as my cart of choice. Would love to try other carts but trial and error is an expensive pastime hence the need for info such as yours and others on this forum.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
*acute*
plastic penguin said:

Pssst ! Is it here yet ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts