What to Upgrade

MV0828

Jan 12, 2022
Visit site
Hey everyone, I was looking for some input on what upgrades I should make to my current setup. I currently have a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ an Ortofon Red, Marantz P5005 and a pair of Klipsch KG4.5 speakers. I was considering grabbing a Schiit Mani but the more research I do into all of this, the less I feel like I have a grasp on it. Budget-wise, I'd like to keep anything in the $500 and below range. Thanks for the help!

Hey everyone, I was looking for some input on what upgrades I should make to my current setup. I currently have a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ an Ortofon Red, Marantz P5005 and a pair of Klipsch KG4.5 speakers. I was considering grabbing a Schiit Mani but the more research I do into all of this, the less I feel like I have a grasp on it. Budget-wise, I'd like to keep anything in the $500 and below range. Thanks for the help!
Welcome to the forum.
If that is your only source the first thing I would upgrade is that cartridge.
Your biggest gains are always going to be from the source or speakers
What do you find lacking with your current set-up?

MV0828

Jan 12, 2022
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.
If that is your only source the first thing I would upgrade is that cartridge.
what do you find lacking with your current set-up?
Thanks, I appreciate it! As far as what my current setup leaves to be desired, I feel like the low end gets a little muddy and is not as pronounced as I would like. But, I guess that is what makes the current place I'm at a little tough. Up to this point, every time I've upgraded a piece of equipment, the improvement was immediate and wholistic. Struggling a bit with identifying those more subtle and specific needs. Cartridge makes sense though. I've heard good things about the AT-VM95ML.

MV0828

Jan 12, 2022
Visit site
Also, for what it's worth, I have a pair of Dali Zensor 1's that aren't in use. They're pretty nice but I figure the Klipsch are the better set of speakers. Could definitely be wrong though.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
When I had my project xpression, it came with a ortofon om10 cart, it was the first thing I improved on the turntable (before upgrading the whole unit)to a 2m blue, the difference was astounding and probably the most pronounced upgrade I've ever had on any piece of equipment I've ever owned, I later went to a audio technica atptg iii on a project xperience tt, I wasn't as impressed with this cart at over twice the price . Maybe as your familiar with the ortofon sound signature a 2m bronze might give you a good lift in performance, although you'll want to start on the amp and speakers after that.lol.

Also, for what it's worth, I have a pair of Dali Zensor 1's that aren't in use. They're pretty nice but I figure the Klipsch are the better set of speakers. Could definitely be wrong though.
I haven't heard your Klipisch so cannot comment there, you know which sounds best to your ears.
the cartridge you mentioned is a very good choice.
The phono stage of the Marantz is pretty good but this cartridge and the Mani should prove an excellent upgrade, especially if you are in the States as they are cheaper there, if unsure of the Mani get a cartridge further up the Audio Technica range of look for a Nagaoka MP110

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts