What to replace my Pioneer LX85 with.... Please Help!

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi All

I am in desperate need of some advice please. I bought a Pioneer SC-LX85 receiver about 4 years ago, just after release for 2000 punds. I probably had a bit more extra cahs in them day!! THis week the receiver has finally packed in, it has been tempremental for months now!

Anyway, I need to replace this ASAP and wanted some advice please. I have short listed a few within my budget mainly consiting of the Pioneer SC-LX88 and the Pionerr SC-LX79. So firslt which would be the better option here ? The SC-LX59 is obviously the more recent model and is still cheper, but I arnt really bothered about atmos - I just want very high quality at 5.1 for my Tannoy Signature Revolution set up. In other words Sound quality over features.

Finally to confuse things, I could possibly strech to the Yamaha RX-A3050, I can get this cheap through work for a little more than the pioneers. I have never used Yamaha before, and although they seem to rate very high, I am a fan of Pioneers clear sharp Class D amplification. Finally, if I dropped down to the RX-A205, would this be unadvised with the quality of my speaker set up ?

So to Conclude....Pioneer SC-LX59 vs Pioneer SC-LX88 vs Yamaha RX-3050 vs Yamaha RX-2050

Thanks

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
If you like the slightly more forward snappy punchy sound of the Pioneer AV receivers, and you're not worried about 4K/HDCP2.2/HDMI 2.0, then check out current prices of the Anthem MRX510 or MRX710. The Anthems don't have all the features of modern Pioneer AVR's (like Airplay and the excellent iControlAV5 app), but where Anthem scores is very high quality amplification and a highly developed room-correction system.

I heard the Anthem MRX710 last year running Paradigm speakers and it was magnificent (playing stereo music, not movies in 2.0 and 2.1 configurations). But due to the whole 4k thing, the MRX510 and MRX710 have been very heavily discounted, so if you're not fussed about 4K, they're veritable bargains.

Having said that, I still love my Pioneer AVR, including for music (even though I acknowledge many don't rate it for music), but maybe it just gels really well with my speakers, as it still sounds excellent to me. So if you were to jump ship for Anthem, just be sure it's not missing features you've become accustomed to on the Pioneer that are important to you.

buzz_lightclick

So you can afford the Yamaha 3050 but not the Pioneer SC-LX89? Shouldn't they be a similar price? I've seen the 89 ex demo for £1250. You may be able to get a better price by contacting the various dealers.

D

Deleted member 2457

buzz_lightclick said:
umbucker said:
I can get the 3050B through work for 1125 + VAT, and the Pioneer LX59 for 1050 + VAT. THere are my only 2 options really.

I would go for the Yamaha then.
Agreed, based on previous models.

jjbomber

umbucker said:
Hi All

I am in desperate need of some advice please. I bought a Pioneer SC-LX85 receiver about 4 years ago, just after release for 2000 punds... This week the receiver has finally packed in, it has been tempremental for months now!

I would put a claim in as a £2,000 receiver should last longer than 4 years. If you paid by credit card, you put in a claim against them. You will be entitled to a refund of it's current value. You will need an independent engineer's report to show it is beyond economical repair. The cost of that will be refunded to you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts