Need to upgrade from my Pioneer LX85

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
OK, so from information I have received from people in regarding upgrading my Tannoy Revolution Signature Speakers - It seems it would be more sensible to keep my speakers and upgrade my amp.

My current amp is a Pioneer SC-LX85, and although I have been happy with it for TV, Movies and Muic on Blu Ray - It really wasnt the sensible match for my speakers in terms of Music liustening in Stereo, which is a very important factor. Certain albums sound absolutley fantastic, but others sound appauling!

So I would like to upgrade the amp to something a little more balnaced in terms of being good for movies/TV and good for Stereo music listening. I will list my kit below

Velodybe SPL1000 Ultra Subwoofer.....Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T L+R, DC6 Centre and DC4 rears (5.1)

Another factor - I found the MCCAC room EQ to do a terrible job and for all types of listening the sound was infinatley better when switched off. I experimented with all the advice given for MCCAC but I found it just didnt work for my room. Even my previous Denon 500 quid amp with Auddessey did a far better job

So with all that in mind what should I be looking at - I heard Arcam were very good for music, but didnt get great reviews on WH for my price range (1500 - 2000) So maybe Yamaha, Denon ?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I would recommend Arcam AVR 390 as a good match with Tannoy.

I used to have Kef iQ speakers for AV (with Arcam AV 350 and Velodyne SPL 1200R), which are much closer to Tannoy's sound signature than the current R Series.

IMO. Arcam would be good for both AV and 2 Channel.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Good call tonally by CNO. I have heard reports of the power supply on the AVR390 being a little weedy (compared to the AVR550/750s), so you may wish to consider adding a power amp later on, and this does mean it might lack a little oomph with dynamics. The only other receivers I really rate with music are Anthems, but if my understanding of your Tannoys is correct, their sparkly top-end may not suit as well. And Anthems prices have gone up considerably over the past couple of years.

I know many speak well of the higher-end Marantz receivers for music, although I haven't heard them so can't personally recommend them.

As always, do make sure you demo before handing over your hard-earned.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Leeps said:
Good call tonally by CNO. I have heard reports of the power supply on the AVR390 being a little weedy (compared to the AVR550/750s), so you may wish to consider adding a power amp later on, and this does mean it might lack a little oomph with dynamics.

The upside of the 390, is the quality of the Pre (same as the 850) and DIRAC Live....the downside, is money was saved on the power amps. Only the OP can decide if it has enough oomph....but as you say, down the road, something like a second hand P7 or P777 can be added.

There is a good chance it will be fine. Arcam puts 2 channel performance at the heart of its AV designs, which makes a good difference, if they are also used for this purpose.

abacus

Fine tips above, however, remember that if something sounds awful, it may be that the recording is awful, and your receiver is just delivering it as it is, (Raw) which will be the same for any receiver you replace it with. (With receivers that are top notch with music the awful sounding recordings may sound even worse)

As mentioned above always try before you buy.

Bill

leenorm1

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I would have to concur with the Arcam and Anthem verdict although, to keep within your budget I would look at the Denon AVRX 6400H.

regular_smile.png

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts