What speakers for Denon AVR-2310 ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm really looking for some ideas/shortlist of speakers that I should consider running with my Denon AVR-2310.

WHFSV team, what speakers did you use when reviewing the Denon AVR-2310 or might you recommend using ?

I know Rick @ Musicraft suggested he thought the RX6 with the Denon 2310 sounded a bit hard, which is a shame as I was thinking the RX series might be a good match, but I'm hoping this result might just be a Yamaha preference thing.

Anyway, anyone with experience of the Denon 2310 or of speakers they feel would be a good match, please do let me know your thoughts.

Many thanks.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Chiswick

In my case (I can't speak for anyone else), my recommendation of Yamaha comes from my usage of it over the past couple of decades. Yamaha started home cinema back in the mid eighties, about 5 years before anybody else, and have always done things differently to any other manufacturer since. Their DSP sound fields are based on real venues, they're not a case of a varying degrees of echo depending on the type of room it's based on. Yamaha take detailed readings in these famous venues, and apply that to the processing in their AV amps. Yamaha produce their own processing chips, and only sell them on to third parties when it becomes old technolgy. Of all the AV amps I've heard over the past 20 years, I always seem to come back to Yamaha. I've tried other manufacturers, but none of them do it for me. This isn't a bias, this is my preference, based on my experience.

If I were to recommend an AV amp based on the amount of money to be made, Yamaha would be among the last on the list.Please ignore the above section of this post as the whole post was made in response to another subject that was brough up on another thread. This thread has been edited, and the remainder left here, which now makes the above section of this post irrelevant.

Anyway, to answer Chiswicks post:

As for speakers for the amp, other than the RX's (and RS's at their cheaper prices at the moment), you could look at the KEF iQ series, or the B&W 600 series. All will work well with the amp, but speakers are such a personal choice that you really should audition them yourself. One person may love the 2310 with the 600 series, but someone else might hate it.

Regards

David

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm please with the speaker system (see below for details) I have with my Denon 2310, but I'm sure if you pay more you will improve on it.....

A

Anonymous

I have the B&W Mt30 with my Denon 2310 and it sounds amazing, I am running all the M1's on QED micro cable and the Pv1 on Chord Crimson.

A

Anonymous

David (@ FrankHarvey)

Thank you for your comprehensive response. You do however raise an interesting subject. I do hear a lot of positive things about Yamahas 'processing' and appreciate that they may put more effort/resource into creating more realistic 'processing' sound stages than some of the other manufacturers might (or might not) do. However, I am very much a purist and am really not a fan of using additional processing when listening to music or movies. I much prefer to listen to things as they were recorded/intended. If possible I'll listen to everything in the standard/pure-direct mode. With this in mind I'd always choose an amplifier/receiver based on it's pure sound quality and not it's additional processing capabilities. I wonder how many other people are the same ?

Also, I should throw into the equation that I'm actually taking pre-outs for the front main speakers and running these into a seperate Musical Fidelity A3cr power amplifier, so am in effect taking this load off the receiver and really maximising on amplifier quality for the front main speakers.

I think, from your recommendations I will definitely look at the Kefs, B&W and still take a look at the MX RX series. As you say, what might sound good/bad to you might sound bad/good, respectively, to me.

Thanks again for your feedback. Much appreciated.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Chiswick

Obviously there's been a thread that's been chopped and trimmed recently, as my response earlier was to another thread, which brought up the subject of Yamaha 'bias'. Reading it now doesn't really make much sense. This annoys me when it happens.

People will differ, and generally, I'm with you on the 'hear it as it's intended' way of thinking. Yamaha's cinema DSP processing is made to recreate the sound you get in a cinema. Dolby and DTS have allowed Yamaha to re-process the DD or DTS signal to do what they want to it - something they've not allowed any other manufacturer to do. When I want it to sound like a cinem, I choose 'adventure', which accentuates surround effect and ambience. If I don't want that, I'll use 'standard', which is still better than other manufacturers basic processing.

I may edit my post to make it make sense.

A

Anonymous

David

I apologise for editing my original posting. After reading it again, I thought it was perhaps a little antagonistic and thought it better I reword things slightly. However I did still very much appreciate your response and do appreciate your views on Yamaha DSP. To be 110% honest I haven't reviewed the Denon 2310 against the Yamaha 1065 as I really needed to get a new receiver sooner than later and found it nigh on impossible to find anywhere even half locally where I could demo the two together.

My Denon will do me for the immediate future, but I know within 18-24 months I'll be looking at the latest thing and thinking of upgrading to something of a higher quality and I will most definitely have whatever Yamaha's high end receivers at the time on my short list.

Thank you for your feedback. Very much appreciated and apologies if I annoyed you with my post editing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts