What speaker package to match Onkyo TX-NR905?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I just bought an Onkyo TX-NR905 amp. I am wondering what speaker package can match this amp to fully squeeze the potential out of it. The system is setup in a 290 square feet living room. I would prefer front floor standers and bipolar surrounds. Folks... any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
You don't say a budget but I run a variation of the B&W 685 Theatre package (B&W 685 fronts, HTM62 centre and M1 rears) with my Onkyo 905 (M1 rears as no room for the 686s) and am very happy with it, but you could easily justify the 684 package with this amp which would give you the floor standers as your front speakers. For dipolar surrounds, just switch the 686 rears from the above package and use the DS3 speakers for your rears.

Just an opinion though, there's a lot of choice out there!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'd say the 685 Theatre package would be a minimum to make the most of this receiver. One of the bigger 68- packages would be even better.

But then what I use on the end of my 875 is hardly the world's biggest secret...

A

Anonymous

Does that mean my onkyo tx-nr905 is waisted with a set of mordaunt short alumni on the end. To tell the truth i think these speakers are not an easy load to drive so the amp seems to be happy working with them, i also once tried a pair o them with my old marantz 6010ki amp the volume *** had to go a fair bit up to get them to a good level. Sorry back to the point i would go for a bigger b&w package too if i had the space.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Your best bet is to get a demo at a Sevenoaks store and compare the B&W 683/4 fronts with the DS3 rears against the MA RS6/8 fronts with the RSFX rears. I think there is very little between them it will depend on what you prefer.
Anything less will not do your amp justice.

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Andrew, I was looking at getting the B&W RS6 for my front. Will these freak my wife out, or blow her away??! And if she freaks out, would it be worth it anyway??!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Davo2008:Andrew, I was looking at getting the B&W RS6 for my front. Will these freak my wife out, or blow her away??! And if she freaks out, would it be worth it anyway??!

You mean the MA RS6? No, it will just sound great!! I'm biased of course. With that receiver, you could go a lot worse than the RS6av package. The Tannoy Revolution is supposedly great as well - not sure whether it has bipolar rears though.

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Doh! Sorry, yes, I meant Monitor Audio! (Been looking at so many speakers, my brain is fried!) I see the Tannoy's got best value speakers over £2k, but it also implied that you need to whip them into a frenzy to get the most out of them, whereas the RS6's seem (apparently) to sound brilliant regardless of the level....

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Davo2008:
Doh! Sorry, yes, I meant Monitor Audio! (Been looking at so many speakers, my brain is fried!) I see the Tannoy's got best value speakers over £2k, but it also implied that you need to whip them into a frenzy to get the most out of them, whereas the RS6's seem (apparently) to sound brilliant regardless of the level....

I don't know anything about the Tannoys but you are right about the MA speakers. My RS6s sound great at low volumes and then brilliant again as you step it up too. The sub though, cannot really be touched at the price - it is brilliant.

A

Anonymous

I run the Monitor Audio RS8 AV package with my 875, and it is a very good combination together on both films, TV and music.
Very pleased with them.

Passes the 'wife test' as well, she thinks they look lovely in their walnut real veneer finish. :)

A

Anonymous

In my country, B&W speakers pricing is not that reasonable because of currency exchange lately. (I used to owned English made speakers). I am thinking of some other choices besides B&W alone. Our local dealer have a pair of Definitive Technology BP-10B bipolar floor standers. Heard that sounds quite impressive, but I did not hear from myself (make an audition) yet. And I doubt it would be musical. Folks, any ideas?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Davo2008:Andrew, I was looking at getting the B&W RS6 for my front. Will these freak my wife out, or blow her away??! And if she freaks out, would it be worth it anyway??!

I'm sorry, Dave - I don't know your wife well enough to be able to answer that question.

hal.jpg

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
You have the same AV amp as i do in my main living room; mines paired with the B&W XT surround sound package and the PV1 sub.

Not sure on your budget but these are definitly worth a demo; superb sound and bass weight is phenomenal!

A

Anonymous

I also run a 905 amp and running kef IQ9 fronts , IQ5SE rears and IQ60C centre. i can certainly disturb the neighbours.

as it is ive been asking what sub you guys think is best . as not got one as yet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

42 " TOSHIBA LCD 1080P

ONKYO NR905 AV AMP

KEF IQ9 FRONT SPEAKERS BI-WIRED WITH CHORD RUMOURS 4 CABLE

KEF IQ6C CENTRE - QED SILVER ANNVERSARY XT CABLE

KEF IQ5 SE REAR SPEAKER - QED SILVER ANNVERSARY XT CABLE

PANASONIC DMP-BD30 BLUE RAY

ONKYO DS-ASX DOCK - 80 GIG IPOD CLASSIC

HDMI CABLES - CHORD 1.3 SILVER PLUS

SUBWOOFER ????? MISSING

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts