What Speaker cables?

baza marshall

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Im having to replace my DNM reson speaker cables that I have by-wired to Totem Hawk speakers. I have been very happy with the DNM cables but now need to replace them with something a little neater as im now having to run them on a hardwood floor and not under carpet.

My question is can anyone suggest what cables to consider, budget somewhere around £10 a metre. I was thinking maybe Chord Clearway not by-wired has anyone got any thoughts. Also I know that idealy the cables should be the same length but in my setup that would mean one of the cables being about 5 metres to long and as I also know that you shouldnt coil speaker cables that presents an obvious problem. Can I have one cable 13metres and the other 8 metres without affecting performance.

Any thoughts on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Barry.

Hello, Barry, and welcome to the forum.

For your budget, the Chords are highly recommended by the magazine. It will still be a significant investment as you seem to need very long lengths, and I wonder is there any way to avoid that?

You are unlikely to hear the diference between an 8 and 13 metre cable, but I would always imagine I could. Electrically, the resistance increase is minimal. You can snake the cables to and fro without coiling them up, which as you say, you should avoid.

Many here will suggest something less costly, by van damme, for example, at about half the price. You can try jumpers at the speaker end as you are moving to single wiring.

As a side issue, the hardwood floor will change the sound, so try to be comfortable with that before you change the cables, otherwise you may be unsure what has changed the sound. Ideally, borrow a standard length on trial before committing.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
baza marshall said:
Can I have one cable 13metres and the other 8 metres without affecting performance.

Yes, of course. The difference is insignificant.

I'd advise a classic - single wired - figure-of-eight/dumbell cross section cable with high purity, 4 sq mm copper conductors.

baza marshall

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Thank you nopiano your input is much appreciated. One of the reasons for the difference in length between the two is one of them is going up and over a doorway adding 4 metres to the run, I may reconsider this and run both cables down the same side of the room.

Thanks again.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I would expect a slight change of sound coming from your solid core DNM if you change to stranded cable.

To maintain some of the qualities of your current cable which you like I'd suggest perhaps some Supra Ply 3.4 Wide cable. Tin plated copper has a litz effect, better than simple stranded cable. Looks good and is cheap. EU made too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts