What should I upgrade first?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

dupree

Oct 12, 2021
Visit site
Yes, you should aim for a higher compliance cartridge that fall into the green zone.

So these are a few examples I think would work according to this chart:

These are the only 3 that seem to fit. I need a MM that can be mounted from the bottom.

D

Deleted member 108165

I've never been anal or exact when selecting cartridges, seldom have I considered compliance in any of my purchases. I see compliance as a dark art which I have no interest in, I just want a nice cartridge that plays records and sounds good to my ears.

If I use the vinylengine resonance calculator table against what I currently have fitted, (MP500 on Marantz TT with ClearAudio Satisfy tonearm), it really isn't the best match and in theory shouldn't work well, but it does to my ears. Maybe compliance is something I should look into in the future but for now I'm more than happy with what I hear.

Of the three cartridges you have found the Grado appears to be a Marmite cart with lovers and haters in equal measures. The Goldring I believe is based on Nagaoka, (I could be mistaken here, I'm sure others will put me right if I am), the ClearAudio is based on Audio Technica. If you wish to get it exact then either the ClearAudio or Goldring would be a sound purchase.

I don't have the intention of trying to steer you away from this forum whatsoever it is only that on here you have a very small nucleus of members who can actually assist you or point you in the right direction. On the vinylengine forum there are hundreds of members all passionate about vinyl reproduction, I even go on there rather than here if I'm searching for answers to a particular problem related to turntables or cartridges. Give vinylengine a try, they are good helpful guys on there.

If you do jump to vinylengine for assistance please do come back and let us know how you you're getting on and what you eventually choose to do.

Reactions: Gray

dupree

Oct 12, 2021
Visit site
I've never been anal or exact when selecting cartridges, seldom have I considered compliance in any of my purchases. I see compliance as a dark art which I have no interest in, I just want a nice cartridge that plays records and sounds good to my ears.

If I use the vinylengine resonance calculator table against what I currently have fitted, (MP500 on Marantz TT with ClearAudio Satisfy tonearm), it really isn't the best match and in theory shouldn't work well, but it does to my ears. Maybe compliance is something I should look into in the future but for now I'm more than happy with what I hear.

Of the three cartridges you have found the Grado appears to be a Marmite cart with lovers and haters in equal measures. The Goldring I believe is based on Nagaoka, (I could be mistaken here, I'm sure others will put me right if I am), the ClearAudio is based on Audio Technica. If you wish to get it exact then either the ClearAudio or Goldring would be a sound purchase.

I don't have the intention of trying to steer you away from this forum whatsoever it is only that on here you have a very small nucleus of members who can actually assist you or point you in the right direction. On the vinylengine forum there are hundreds of members all passionate about vinyl reproduction, I even go on there rather than here if I'm searching for answers to a particular problem related to turntables or cartridges. Give vinylengine a try, they are good helpful guys on there.

If you do jump to vinylengine for assistance please do come back and let us know how you you're getting on and what you eventually choose to do.

So in your opinion would the golding mount in my headshell? I'm not sure if it's threaded or not

D

Deleted member 108165

So in your opinion would the golding mount in my headshell? I'm not sure if it's threaded or not
I have absolutely no idea if it is threaded or not, as I've never owned one or seen one. My best guess would be that it is not threaded and is held in place with the supplied fasteners.

Gray

I've never been anal or exact when selecting cartridges, seldom have I considered compliance in any of my purchases.
Neither have I.
And that must surely apply to the majority of people.
Whether or not your arm/cart is an ideal match on paper Doug, no way did it sound compromised.

My lesson in compliance was when I fitted a couple of high compliance carts on my old mobile disco (they were cheap).....what a disaster :(

Message to OP Dupree would be just to avoid a gross mismatch.

dupree

Oct 12, 2021
Visit site
So I've finally decided to go with the Grado as it seems to be the most compatible with my tonearm. At around $340 it isn't too bad of a price either. There's a hifi store here that carries them and they are going to take care of everything. Fingers crossed this makes a big difference!

D

Deleted member 108165

So I've finally decided to go with the Grado as it seems to be the most compatible with my tonearm. At around $340 it isn't too bad of a price either. There's a hifi store here that carries them and they are going to take care of everything. Fingers crossed this makes a big difference!
Check here just to make sure: Grado hum database

I hope you enjoy it as much as the Prestige Black I had. It was on my Michell as the dealer had used it as a demo model. My plan was to swap it soon after purchase but I liked it so much I kept it for several years. Lovely sound, especially on vocals where it was very natural to my ears.

dupree

Oct 12, 2021
Visit site
I hope you enjoy it as much as the Prestige Black I had. It was on my Michell as the dealer had used it as a demo model. My plan was to swap it soon after purchase but I liked it so much I kept it for several years. Lovely sound, especially on vocals where it was very natural to my ears.

That's great to hear! I get it put on tomorrow. Can't wait to hear how it sounds.

dupree

Oct 12, 2021
Visit site
So I got my cartridge installed on the weekend, and at first I wasn't sure if it was an upgrade. It seemed quieter than the cartridge that was on there previously. Maybe it was just my ears adjusting or something. As I listened to it more though, it definitely grew on me. The music definitely seemed more alive. It can be noisy at the beginning of some records, but that could be possibly my amplifier as well. I have a Cambridge amp coming so that might make it sound even better. Anyways, going to give it more of a listen and see what happens. I've read that cartridges need breaking in as well. There is one issue however, now the record doesn't stop automatically at the end of a record, and the tonearm doesn't lift. The record keeps spinning now until I lift the needle. Is this because of the cartridge?
Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this thread and gave me advice! Much appreciated!

There is one issue however, now the record doesn't stop automatically at the end of a record, and the tonearm doesn't lift. The record keeps spinning now until I lift the needle. Is this because of the cartridge?
If it has auto lift and has now stopped then there are two possibilities :-
1. It’s got upset during transporting and needs looking at.
2. There’s a mechanism to disable it, and you need to switch it back.

I suggest a call to your dealer. The cartridge should make no difference.

Last edited:
Just read the last few posts regarding compliance and, although it certainly matters, I feel it matters less with moving magnet cartridges but becomes quite important if you ever move on to low output moving coil cartridges.

you are correct the cartridge should make no difference.
The Grado possibly sounds slightly quieter because it has a lower output voltage than the ADC (5.0mv as opposed to 6.05mv)

dupree

Oct 12, 2021
Visit site

Ok thanks for letting me know. I plan on calling the dealer who installed the cartridge today to ask about it.

dupree

Oct 12, 2021
Visit site
Just read the last few posts regarding compliance and, although it certainly matters, I feel it matters less with moving magnet cartridges but becomes quite important if you ever move on to low output moving coil cartridges.

The dealer who installed it said he completed a compliancy test on it and it measured at 12 htz, which he said was on the border of where it needs to be (or in that green zone).

dupree

Oct 12, 2021
Visit site
you are correct the cartridge should make no difference.
The Grado possibly sounds slightly quieter because it has a lower output voltage than the ADC (5.0mv as opposed to 6.05mv)

Ah ok that makes sense. It does sound great though. Hopefully the new amp will make it sound even better.

Reactions: Al ears

dupree

Oct 12, 2021
Visit site
Maybe your Sanyo is noisy? but that would apply to all records.
What Cambridge amp are you getting?

This one with the phono preamp. It seems to get great reviews!

Reactions: Gray
PS. I found an instrc
Ok thanks for letting me know. I plan on calling the dealer who installed the cartridge today to ask about it.
I found a manual on vinyl engine, and can’t see any option to disable auto lift. Sometimes, transporting a turntable upsets this mechanism. You may need to move the arm carefully towards the end, obviously with stylus raised, and hope the mechanism catches, then operates normally.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts