Question What projector and screen do I need

Eolla

Dec 2, 2022
Visit site
I am interested in going projector route to replace my 50” tv.
I am looking for a projector that fits the following criteria:
Ultra short throw ceiling mounted
Projecting a 90” image
4K?
Earc or hdmi arc to link up to Sonos arc and surrounds
Room can be light restricted but not totally blacked out

and a suitable screen (ceiling mounted pull down)

Arron

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
Ultra-short throws aren't quite as good as trad projectors yet. They're close and getting closer but it's still a few years away. So go with trad if you can. AFAIK, all of them can be ceiling mounted. You definitely want 4K. However...

90" image? Buy an 85" TV instead. The only reason to go with a projector for a screen that small is if you can't fit a TV in the room.

If you do need to go with a projector, screen size is everything. I started out with an 86" and over the years worked my way up to 106" which is as big as my room will take. It was a lot of money spent on smaller screens that could have been spent elsewhere. Measure your space and get the biggest screen that will fit.

abacus

An ALR screen is best for a UST projector, however it must be perfectly flat or it will show up ripples easily, most UST projectors are as good (If not better) than traditional projectors of a similar price, (They are also mainly laser based which if done correctly is superior to lamp based projectors) the downside is that very few are designed to be ceiling mounted so your choice will be limited.
Go to a dealer and try some out (Traditional and UST) to see which suits best, as everyone is different.
UST projectors are really designed as a TV replacement so unless you are using them for this, a traditional system may be better.
You will also get a more cinematic experience with a projector (No matter the size) as like the real world it uses reflected light, unlike a TV)

Bill

Arron

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
most UST projectors are as good (If not better) than traditional projectors of a similar price,
Hmmm, are you sure about that? The Epson LS800 is their newest laser UST and has a measured contrast ratio under 5000:1. My older, cheaper trad Epson TW9400 measures at over 28000:1. And mine is a long way behind the Sony or JVC true 4K trad projectors. (Note: measured, i.e. not the manufacturer's made-up specs.)

(They are also mainly laser based which if done correctly is superior to lamp based projectors)
Lasers are OK if you want a paperweight after 20,000 hours. Which is OK for most people but not for heavy users. They'll beat lamps one day but are aren't really there yet.

the downside is that very few are designed to be ceiling mounted so your choice will be limited.
Oh? Has that changed? Most used to be fine either way up. Checked and you're right at least in the case of the LS800.

You will also get a more cinematic experience with a projector (No matter the size) as like the real world it uses reflected light, unlike a TV)
Maybe and I used to think the same but since getting the TW9400 I'm less convinced. It was certainly true of older projectors with lower brightness/contract. The TW9400's picture in a light-controlled room is much less like projectors of yore and far more like a well-calibrated HDR TV.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts