What Next? - New AV Processor or Audiolab 8000Q

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
My System as it currently Stands Marantz CD6000ki Signature > Marantz SR5300 Surround Processor in Source Direct For Stereo Feeding > a Pair of Marantz MA6100 Monoblock Amplifiers Driving > B&W 805s. I also have a B&W ASW675 Sub, this is crossed over at around 40Hz to just fill in a little at the bottom end. There is more but for the purpose of this question it is not important.

The speakers are a new addition and still running in, I am in the process of trying to borrow a pre-amp to see if there are any significant stereo gains to be had bypassing the SR5300. I like the setup as it is easy to control when switching in and out of surround and stereo but can not help wondering if there is anything more to be had out of the system without spending a lot of cash. Music tastes are Varied but Love acoustic/vocal stuff, Jazz, and some rock, anything well recorded really, I like the tonal balance of the current system (Warm) was after even more detail and imaging if that is possible.

Anyone got experience with the Audiolab? I can not see another pre-amp any where near this price range, would it be much better than a £7-800 AV amp set to source direct given the seperate amplifiers I am using, I am thinking along the lines of the Marantz SR6003 or equivalent Dennon, If the SQ is going to be similar these would give me extra AV feature over my current setup.

Any other options would be welcome for consideration :)

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Well I have just done back to back my receiver vs a stand alone preamp (Technics su-c1000) which I borrowed from a friend, now it is probably not the best pre in the world but my friend said he had to spend a lot of money to better it by any margin.

I leveled the volume on both my AV and the pre using a dB meter so no difference between the two, and it was a difficult call, I have come away preferring my AV amp which was a surprise, I don't think there was anything in the staging I thought the AV had an very slight edge on detail, and funnily despite the leveling actually sounded a little louder there seemed to be just a touch more there.

OK I can probably better the technics by spending a lot of money but at the moment that is not an option, I am really liking the sound I am getting now so it may be time to pop over to the AV section to look at a processor upgrade.

A

Anonymous

A decent pre like the Audiolab 8000Q would blow an AV amp out of the water, even when set to stereo direct.

You don't mention the rest of your kit, but I assume you have a 5.1 system (else why the Denon), so you could consider an AV processor, which would retain the convenience and also give you a substantial performance bump. Arcam's AV9 and the Audiolab 8000AP both have excellent stereo reproduction. I suppose this might mean you need some more amplification, assuming you use the Denon to drive the centre and rears.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts