What music makes your hi-fi sing?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I read with great interest one of the recent threads regarding why some CDs sound better than others. So what about CDs and vinyl that sound great on your hi-fi? What about a completely arbitrary five current faves, here's mine: 1) Out On The Tiles - Led Zep (Led Zep III) 2) On The Beach - Neil Young (On The Beach) 3) The Way That He Sings - My Morning Jacket (At Dawn) 4) April 4th - Talk Talk (Spirit Of Eden) 5) Atomic - Blondie (Autoamerican)

A

Anonymous

Great idea! In no particular order (but must sound good and I must like the music too!), stuff I've been listening to recently:

1) Eric clapton Unplugged (2) Stevie Wonder, Talking Book (3) Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon, (4) Pavement, Terror Twilight, (5) Nick Drake, Way to Blue (an introduction to...)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I have to say Talk Talk are audiophile genius...but The Beautiful South, Carry on up the charts sounds just lovely. Also The Cranberries, Mary Black, James Lavelle etc

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
As a man who has a serious box swapping addiction I have a test cd with me that I take it for demo at various shops or hifi party and here is my list

1. Love over gold (Dire Straits) - For soundstage, a truly great system can have a surprise sound coming from behide! (yes, using just 2 front speakers)

2. Stepping Stone (Black Label Society) - For bass impact, turn it up and see those cones moving.....and the guitar sound on this cd is ear bleedingly bright on most system!

3. Exodus (Bob Marley) - Timing, bass start and stop.

4. Life's been good (the Eagles, live) - One of the most natural sound recording for live music out there

5. Find me (David Gates) - some hifi have no soul! This emotional song should make your hair stand up....almost everywhere!

A

Anonymous

Pink Floyd dark side of the moon,
Pink floyd Wish you were here,
The Eagles - hell freezes over dvd.
Steve Winwood - Chronicles
James - millionaires

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
Yes a great idea!
1) The Dave Brubeck Quartet:Take five :SACD Columbia/Legacy CS651222
2) Loreena Mckennitt:Elemental:CD :I cant reach the CD at the moment to get the CD info
3) Renaissance:Scheherazade:CD:Reperitoire REP 4490-WY
4)Ralph Vaughan Williams/The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra:SACD:222887-203

There are others but these are the ones that sound special, particularly the Dave Brubeck !

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Some really interesting choices there. It's always good to see eclectic lists. I'll investigate accordingly.

One amendment to my own original list: the Talk Talk track is called April 5th and it's from The Colour Of Spring album. The album, Spirit Of Eden, in its remastered (1999/2000?) edition is another wondrously complex sonic journey worthy of sitting at the top table of audiophilia!

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
have you heard spirit of eden on vinyl,quite sublime, another great album steve mcqueen by prefab sprout.most prog rock gets me going but i am sucker for kate bush.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="gregory"]
have you heard spirit of eden on vinyl,quite sublime, another great album steve mcqueen by prefab sprout.most prog rock gets me going but i am sucker for kate bush.
[/quote]

Yes, I have it somewhere; most probably and shamefully it'll be in the loft with the majority of my vinyl. Steve McQueen is such a great album, redolent of idle and idyllic student days so long ago. From a purely audiophile perspective their Andromeda Heights album is very bright but mostly in a good way.

Completely disregarding my own rule of five another current favourite that sounds fantastic is The Shins' Wincing The Night Away. Great vocals amongst and amidst a weave of shimmering guitars, warm bass and cool surf drumming.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I agree with you totally about April 5th. That is one of my references. I think Talk Talk must have been heavily into hi-fi and music production.

Also LHB track 5 on Dig you may find a friend - track is called Sorry not gonna get me high.

Other goodies include:

That uncertian smile - The The from the album Soul Mining

Song of life - Leftfield from Leftism

Let love speak up itself - The Beautiful South from Carry on up the charts

Ever lovin - Moby from Play

Never goin back again - Fleetwood Mac from Rumours

Deep water or Show me - Seal

Teardrop - Massive Attack from Mezzanine

Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond

8 Ball - Underworld from The Beach soundtrack

Phew! Plenty more if you want them!

A

Anonymous

3 reference tracks used when choosing my new hi-fi.

Electronic-Get the message

Grace Jones-Nightclubbing

THE "mighty" FALL - PEEL BOX SET,DISC 2,TRACK3- WINTER .THE FALL must sound good on whatever I play them on as they account for 15% of my collection.

lately been playing 1st four 10cc disc's(remastered) wonderfull sound.

agree with others about Dire Straits,Pink Floyd.

playing "the kick inside" on new kit was like listening to an entirely new album,beutifully produced.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Yay! A Fall and a hi-fi fan.

The recent two-fer Fall discs have been brilliant, both Fall-wise and sonically.

As for Get The Message, couldn't agree more on the sheer exuberance of that track and the album it comes from. Some tracks on the follow-up, Raise The Pressure are simply stunning, particularly the ones involving Karl Bartos. One or two tracks on that album do, unfortunately sound squashed and less than glorious. As for their third and final album, Twisted Tenderness, please don't get me started. Great title track ruined by demo-like production. The rest is pretty woeful. Hard to write that last sentence: two musical heroes reduced to lumpen plodding.

More about The Fall though ; where to start? Winter is a fine tester, I agree. Last but one album, Fall Heads Roll, has some incredible crunching moments of glory. Three years previous to that, Dr. Buck's Letter usually clears the room as far as the family is concerned. Result!!

The most revealing listening of recent times, however, has been the remastered Steely Dan back-cat. In particular, Katy Lied, Gaucho, Countdown To Ecstacy and Aja. If I had to select one track from all the above that combines musical and hi-fi bliss it would be. . .My Old School by Steely Dan or Doctor Wu or Black Cow or Josie or Peg or Gaucho or. . .damn, can't do it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts