Listening to music for the first time on your Hi-Fi

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Recently I've been listening to quite a bit of stuff for the very first time on my Hi-Fi. When I say the first time I mean I've never heard it before ever.

It's a real joy to hear something for the very first time on a good set up even if my system is modest by some people's standards. A lot of the time the very first time I hear something is on the radio at work, or in the car or perhaps on TV. These experinces kind of set some form of expectation when you finally get to hear it 'properly'. You have a rough idea of what to expect. Though sometimes production quality can be a dissapointment.

I'm currently discovering 'The Who Hits 50!' for the first time on my system. I only know a select handful of these 42 tracks, I'm experiencing the vast majority of The Who's hits for the very first time and there is no other way I'd rather be doing it than sat on my sofa with those silver discs spinning away.

The variation in production quality between the hits of different years on this album is very aparent. It doesn't all sound the same at all, some of it is rough, some of it a bit dull, but it all sounds raw and involving. I can't believe I've let this band slip by my musical radar all of this time. I don't know what's coming up next or what to expect, it's great!

A slightly less cool artist I listened to recently was Taylor Swift's latest album from start to finish. Never heard it before and I loved every minute of it. I'm so glad I heard it first on my Hi-Fi, it really added to the first listen.

Anyone else had fun lately hearing music for the very first time on their systems?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site

Yes of course "discovering" new music is one of the joys of it. I recommend you hear some albums rather than greatest hits, Who's Next by the Who is a classic album. Many 70s groups music were about albums rather than singles.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:

Yes of course "discovering" new music is one of the joys of it. I recommend you hear some albums rather than greatest hits, Who's Next by the Who is a classic album. Many 70s groups music were about albums rather than singles.

For me, new music is everything.

I simply can not stand to listen to the same music over and over again, certainly not the dame recoding. Listening to the same thing, played in exactly the same way every time jusy drives me potty.

Doesn't mean I do not have favourites, even play some much loved material from time to time, but when i want to listen, I am always on the lookout for something new.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
BigH said:

I simply can not stand to listen to the same music over and over again, certainly not the dame recoding. Listening to the same thing, played in exactly the same way every time jusy drives me potty.

Doesn't mean I do not have favourites, even play some much loved material from time to time, but when i want to listen, I am always on the lookout for something new.

Yes I agree thats why I like services like Spotify, then you don't get bored playing same music and can discovery new material all the time.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
davedotco said:
BigH said:

Yes I agree thats why I like services like Spotify, then you don't get bored playing same music and can discovery new material all the time.

Absolutely, I get into things that I stay with for a while, maybe a few days maybe a few months, Recently I have been investigating the music of Miles Davis, an education in it's own right. The recordings of the mid 60s. his 'second' quintet is some of the greatest music ever played, E.S.P is as far beyond Kind of Blue as Sergeant Pepper is from Please Please Me, the invention and progression in this period is stunning.

Before that i looked into Texas Country, Acadian folk music and exausted just about every known recording of Joy Division.

Oh, and after a prompt from Matt49, some serious Jamaican 'Dancehall'.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Every time I have an upgrade I revisit my music collection and I am always amazed at the differences the tone of instruments the bass notes etc

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
toyota man said:
Every time I have an upgrade I revisit my music collection and I am always amazed at the differences the tone of instruments the bass notes etc

Yeah, I know, I have this argument with lots of people.

Despite what you say it is still the same musicians playing the same music in the same way, I find it rapidly becomes tedious, particularly when listening with any intensity.

Some people reckon that different, better systems bring out different aspecs of the music in different ways, i understand that though it really does not work for me. It's just like listening to the same performance over and over again, jusu from a different seat in the concert hall.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Vladimir said:
Humble Pie - Humble Pie

Good album. Can't help thinking it's just an extension of The Small Faces, had they stayed together. IMO, Marriott had one of the finest voices/frontmen around.

We are the mods, we are the mods.... (Musical chaos, distortion, feedback. Brilliant)

I'm a fan of the Humble Pie 'Humble Pie' record too: their most consistent lp. As for Steve Marriott, yes, one of a handful of truly great British voices; I can only think of Terry Reid and John Lennon who come close. If pushed, I'd argue that the Small Faces 'Tin Soldier' has the greatest vocal performance ever recorded; not that I'd ever post such a controversial and dogmatic statement.

Jim-W said:
plastic penguin said:
Vladimir said:
Humble Pie - Humble Pie

Good album. Can't help thinking it's just an extension of The Small Faces, had they stayed together. IMO, Marriott had one of the finest voices/frontmen around.

We are the mods, we are the mods.... (Musical chaos, distortion, feedback. Brilliant)

I'm a fan of the Humble Pie 'Humble Pie' record too: their most consistent lp. As for Steve Marriott, yes, one of a handful of truly great British voices; I can only think of Terry Reid and John Lennon who come close. If pushed, I'd argue that the Small Faces 'Tin Soldier' has the greatest vocal performance ever recorded.

And listen to Weller's 'Stanley Road' LP and the old Woking wonder owes a huge debt of gratitude to Marriott, Lane and co.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Humble Pie - Humble Pie

How did I miss this one *unknw*

Just bought a copy of the Cd , can't wait to play it on my system .

Playing new music on my system is one of the highlights of my existence *biggrin*

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
one LP I never tire of is side B of Marillions - Script of a Jesters Tear

Also love discovering new music, currently got Jungle LP on

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Humble Pie on a pair of transmission line PMCs should sound epic in the rhythm section and those sweet blasting drums.
gitarrenmann.gif
drumset-3.gif

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
When I first heard this song I was 20 y/o lounging in my student dorm room, had slightly too much THC that day (week (month (year))), and heard it through a pair of 1960's KEF K2 Celestes powered by a Marantz PM80 mkII, CDP was Philips CD650. Now that WAS awesome!

Holger_Czukay,_Jah_Wobble,_Jaki_Liebezeit_-_Full_Circle.jpeg

Afbeelding056.jpg

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Vladimir said:
Humble Pie - Humble Pie

Humble pie what agreat band Steve Marriot Peter Frampton Rockin the Fillmore

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:

Indeed! However hits albums are a great way to sample an artist. If you don't like their hits collections, generally you aren't going to enjoy the albums either. Sence I'm happy with this album I'll probably try some of their other stuff too, thanks for the recommendation of 'who's Next'! :)

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:
davedotco said:
BigH said:

I also think you tube is great for sampling new music, you get to see the video as well. I have the audio going through my system, it's always really enjoyable.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
All this talk about great British vocalists from the 60's and no mention of Eric Burdon. Shame on you. He's still releasing highly listenable albums well into his 70's.

For all you fellow Steve Marriott fans out there, I can thoroughly recommend his biography All Too Beautiful... written by Paolo Hewitt and John Hellier. It's a great read, and his later years are particularly sad to read about.

DIB said:
All this talk about great British vocalists from the 60's and no mention of Eric Burdon. Shame on you. He's still releasing highly listenable albums well into his 70's.

For all you fellow Steve Marriott fans out there, I can thoroughly recommend his biography All Too Beautiful... written by Paolo Hewitt and John Hellier. It's a great read, and his later years are particularly sad to read about.

Paolo Hewitt wrote 'The Jam: A Beat Concerto'. That's a very interesting book

(Note to self: Must dig that one out)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts