Question What makes you reach for the records?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
My listening habits seem to ebb and flow with the weather, and countless other influences, but I rarely find myself in the mood to spin a few records instead of CDs.
I don’t stream, but I watch live music via YouTube. It’s quite good for watching pro-shot gigs of favourite bands.
Today became a day to put a record on, because the album I wanted to listen to is one I only have on the black stuff. So, it’s given me an appetite to listen to a few more this evening.
What makes you reach for the records?
Mood? Preference? Choice?
I’ve certainly got to be in the right mood too, which this evening, I definitely am.

Oxfordian

I listen A LOT on Spotify, but I feel the music experience "complete" on vinyl.
With LPs I stop other activities and dedicate myself to all the steps of the experience, from the packaging, the booklets (if there are any), to the music itself, of course.

As someone mentioned before, LPs are not cheap, so I buy only the ones I really like and want to enjoy. I noticed I am more likely to avoid skipping songs, which I do a lot with CDs and liquid music.

And that's it

Are you sure you're not me, missing out the Spotify bit I feel exactly the same :)

I totally agree vinyl is expensive and like you I buy only the music I really really like, anything that I am unsure about is first listened to on Spotify or Apple Music then if it is very good but not great I will seek out a CD, if it is great or excellent I will track down a good copy on vinyl. As a result my LP collection is rather lacking in variety but why spend money on what you don't like.

And as you mention when vinyl is played, everything stops, the experience is so much better.

Reactions: AlbertListens

AlbertListens

Apr 22, 2023
Visit site
Are you sure you're not me, missing out the Spotify bit I feel exactly the same :)

I totally agree vinyl is expensive and like you I buy only the music I really really like, anything that I am unsure about is first listened to on Spotify or Apple Music then if it is very good but not great I will seek out a CD, if it is great or excellent I will track down a good copy on vinyl. As a result my LP collection is rather lacking in variety but why spend money on what you don't like.

And as you mention when vinyl is played, everything stops, the experience is so much better.

Ahah! Absolutely.

For example, today I listened to the recent Hans Zimmer Live LP with my father. It was so fun :D A well made box, despite being all paper.
The joy of cranking up the amp when Time arrived :love:

Reactions: Oxfordian

matthewpianist

I had a challenging weekend, and this made me reach for the vinyl last night. I played two albums - 'A Scottish Songbook' by Karine Polwart, and 'From The Witchwood' by Strawbs (one of my favourites of all time). There was something very comforting about the whole experience, and it sounded wonderful - not just because it was vinyl but because of how involving my system is now.

AJM1981

I have been playing records when I was a child on my Philips set. I had its set of loudspeakers hanging directly hanging on a screw at the bedroom wall. Guess that's a way ot positioning which will never be revived.

My father had a Thorens player connected to a Quad amp and B&W DM602 Mark 2's. So had my decade of vinyl and hifi. But I moved on to CD's, digital file formats and now to spotify premium and have never looked back.

I know vinyl sleeves are art and a record can sound "wonderfully warm and coloured" which is actually kind of dictated by the shortcomings of the medium and challenges in mastering. Especially low bass frequencies are not the best to put on viny. So, what's on there is more of a lucky accident.

And yes, I like that. But I have been there. I have not missed it. Also, if I pass away one day in the (hopefully far) future, I would not like to pass a library of stuff on to someone else to deal with. I like to stay a bit on time with things.

Last edited:

Oxfordian

Also, if I pass away one day in the (hopefully far) future, I would not like to pass a library of stuff on to someone else to deal with. I like to stay a bit on time with things.

My son has already asked if he can have my LP's at some point and when I mentioned that I might be upgrading my TT within the next 12 months he looked at my existing one and said what are you doing with that. I know that streaming is the right way to go and its the future but I just get no pleasure from listening to it, I find it very un-involving.

We are all different and that none of us are wrong is what is so good about this hobby.

matthewpianist

My son has already asked if he can have my LP's at some point and when I mentioned that I might be upgrading my TT within the next 12 months he looked at my existing one and said what are you doing with that. I know that streaming is the right way to go and its the future but I just get no pleasure from listening to it, I find it very un-involving.

We are all different and that none of us are wrong is what is so good about this hobby.

I used to get my Dad's kit when he upgraded. My first turntable was his PL12D.

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
Concerning SQ, I agree it is subjective; I wouldn't say it is better than digital, but different, yes. Whatever this difference is, some like it, others don't...
There often is a difference, as vinyl sometimes has higher dynamic range than the corresponding CD. Oddly enough new masterings on CD of old recordings often have worse sound quality.

https://dr.loudness-war.info/

One has to be careful not to shout someone down when they claim vinyl is better, as many factors are at work.

Reactions: WayneKerr

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Innocent question and by no means a criticism... Why preserve the sound of an LP by not playing it? Surely that removes the whole point of owning the LP?
Apologies for not responding earlier, matthewpianist. My main reason for preserving my LPs is to minimise access of dust, or damage caused by careless handling. While playing my (then) new MoFi Ultradisc copy of Abraxas, while turning it over it managed to slip from my fingers and damaged one of the tracks on the t spindle. I have turned countless records in the same way over the last 50 -odd years, and this was the second time this happened.
It hasn't stopped me playing my records, but has made me more careful since, especially with the price of records now. Most of the time I prefer the sound and experience of playing records, to CDs. And, there are some records I listen to because I love what they sound like, and am also still discovering old musicians, e.g. Buddy Rich, Just In Time.
And I love the pleasure of handling them and looking at them. Long live music.

Reactions: Al ears

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
I don't see the point of buying vinyl and not using it, in the same way why people garage their classic cars for 20 years. Doesn't make any real logic to me.
I‘m not sure anyone garages a classic car unless it is an investment. Many will only drive them in the summer, when there is no salt on the roads, and the weather is dry.

I can understand keeping vinyl on the shelf. I can’t understand playing it. :)

I‘m not sure anyone garages a classic car unless it is an investment. Many will only drive them in the summer, when there is no salt on the roads, and the weather is dry.

I can understand keeping vinyl on the shelf. I can’t understand playing it. :)
Some people just purchase records as an investment, probably a crazy notion that prices will continue to rise. Like classic cars the prices will eventually plateau out and a new fad will take it's place.

Admittedly, there are some records I haven't played in years, not for investment purposes, just my collection is quite substantial it's impossible to play all of them in a given time frame.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
As I have upgraded my equipment I have noticed improvements in sound quality, i.e. More detail,etc., as you'd expect, so am now more selective about (potenrial/expected) sound quality of records, so am trying to search out the best pressings, while I can afford them. However, I've come to the conclusion that I can't always tell the difference, so am buying fewer new records, but still enjoy older records, many of which never sounded very good on my previous equipment, but now sound better than I remember. Even my old 45s sound better. Well, mostly.
And, it depends how I feel, some days only records will do, other days CDs.
As has been said, some recent purchases may be investments for the children, or whoever ends up with them.

I still tend to buy albums on cd first (if it’s a new artist or an album I’m not familiar with) I then generally buy a copy on vinyl when I find a deal, or some interesting colour or limited edition etc.
that was till I bought the luxman amp and cd player. I’m finding myself buying more CDs and less records. Maybe it’s a newness thing, but I’ve definitely got excited about CD again.

Gray

I last reached for a record and a turntable - purely as part of the full checks on a Cyrus XR-i7 amp.
(No good first discovering something doesn't work when out of warranty).

Thorens TD-160S / Rega RB300 / AT-VM95E. The Cyrus phono stage worked very well.
Then I stashed the record and TT away again.

Oxfordian

It’s interesting to hear of people buying but not playing, my son has done this - he bought some vinyl from the U.S.A. by some DJ as they weren’t released in the UK, he has nothing to play them on and won’t bring them when he visits, they just sit all wrapped up waiting for………. I have no idea.

He wants my music collection when I pass away, news for him - I’m gonna live forever :ROFLMAO:, and wants my current kit when (if) I upgrade, probably more likely.

I do find it strange that people buy to collect and never use what it is they collect but who am I to say what is right or wrong.

It’s interesting to hear of people buying but not playing, my son has done this - he bought some vinyl from the U.S.A. by some DJ as they weren’t released in the UK, he has nothing to play them on and won’t bring them when he visits, they just sit all wrapped up waiting for………. I have no idea.

He wants my music collection when I pass away, news for him - I’m gonna live forever :ROFLMAO:, and wants my current kit when (if) I upgrade, probably more likely.

I do find it strange that people buy to collect and never use what it is they collect but who am I to say what is right or wrong.
Think there are some records that are worth keeping at arms length - I can be quite ham fisted. I have a Style Councils 'Cafe Bleu', but the Canadian version re-titled 'My Ever Changing Moods', brought back as a prezzie from a mate back in the 80s. Sentimental reasons....

Also have a Jazz album released on a BP label.

There are exceptions, otherwise play and enjoy the spinning things.

Reactions: Oxfordian

Oxfordian

Think there are some records that are worth keeping at arms length - I can be quite ham fisted. I have a Style Councils 'Cafe Bleu', but the Canadian version re-titled 'My Ever Changing Moods', brought back as a prezzie from a mate back in the 80s. Sentimental reasons....

Also have a Jazz album released on a BP label.

There are exceptions, otherwise play and enjoy the spinning things.
Fair point, I have a 10" orange vinyl Eagles LP that is numbered and has only been played once, and I have ELO's Out of the Blue on picture disc which I ordered in error that I have never played, I reordered the correct version, I also have a copy of Crosby Stills Nash and Young's Deja Vu anniversary edition unopened, but that was because I received two copies so one was opened and the other kept sealed.

But I don't buy anything just to keep, if I buy it then it will be played at least once.

Fair point, I have a 10" orange vinyl Eagles LP that is numbered and has only been played once, and I have ELO's Out of the Blue on picture disc which I ordered in error that I have never played, I reordered the correct version, I also have a copy of Crosby Stills Nash and Young's Deja Vu anniversary edition unopened, but that was because I received two copies so one was opened and the other kept sealed.

But I don't buy anything just to keep, if I buy it then it will be played at least once.
Yeah, I have ELOs 'Out Of The Blue' on blue vinyl and the first pressing of Led Zeppelin's album 'In Through The Out Door', which is played sparingly.

There's a story behind those albums I've mentioned. About 15-18 years ago walked into a record shop and picked up the Led Zepp album. At the counter this bloke was trying to sell his record collection, he was immigrating. The record shop owner didn't seem too interested.

Anyway, went around his house and he had boxes of albums and 12" singles, some artists I knew and some I didn't. The upshot was I blagged about 3 boxes for about £50 IIRC, incl was the ELO album and the Jazz album on the BP label.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
All my records are bought to be played. I'm lucky I have a large collection as have been buying since early 80s.

I now either stream or listen to vinyl. I buy CDs and rip them, my CDP finally having died. but all stood on a NAS.

Also buy vinyl if I love the album.

tend to stream from my NAS or Qobuz when it is background listening when reading or working. Music is on as soon as I am awake for the day and evening unless I'm watching TV (about an hour a day). Helps to drown out the voices...

In reality the sound of streaming and vinyl are virtually the same, some are better from my NAS and some on vinyl. Why still vinyl then? It's about the feel of it all, the old rituals, taking the album out, a quick brush as it starts spinning, seeing it move around. This all adds to the experience, enriches it and brings a smile to my face. So vinyl is used for listening sessions unless there is an album that I really want to hear that I don't have on vinyl. (I have about 500 on vinyl and 2500 CDs/ripped to NAS).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts