Question What makes you reach for the records?

My listening habits seem to ebb and flow with the weather, and countless other influences, but I rarely find myself in the mood to spin a few records instead of CDs.
I don’t stream, but I watch live music via YouTube. It’s quite good for watching pro-shot gigs of favourite bands.
Today became a day to put a record on, because the album I wanted to listen to is one I only have on the black stuff. So, it’s given me an appetite to listen to a few more this evening.
What makes you reach for the records?
Mood? Preference? Choice?
I’ve certainly got to be in the right mood too, which this evening, I definitely am.

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
There are plenty of records I would reach for, if I had them, in order to smash them into pieces, thereby avoiding future pain. However, I don’t have any records myself. Neither do I have a phone on the wall with a wheel to dial the number. Nor does my car have a choke. And Edward Heath has long since departed from office and died.

And the worst piece of news is that Caramac is no more, a sad fact that I learnt today.

I cannot for the life of me understand why any sane person would purchase and play a record. Apart from that, this is an excellent thread, well done. :)

Reactions: podknocker

Gray

I cannot for the life of me understand why any sane person would purchase and play a record.
I can't understand why someone would pay £20+ for one.
But I can see why they'd play ones they already own - especially if they're not available on CD - or amongst the "79 billion tracks available" from the beloved streaming services.

Of course there's the SQ arguement - so much easier (and cheaper) for a CD to sound good.
But how confident are those here, that blindfolded, they could consistently identify CD over top quality vinyl replay*, via the same amp and speakers.

*Not crackle / pop stuff on a mediocre player.

Back to the question and the answer is that I currently don't.....some of my vinyl favourites I digitised at 16/44.1, 25 years ago 😆
But I've still got 3.5 turntables (one in need of repair).

Reactions: Noddy

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
What makes me reach for the records?
These days it's time, which I don't seem to have much of.
I listen to music every day, but normally the radio in the morning, then the radio or Spotify in the car.
I only ever listen to vinyl on my system, except at Christmas when I run my tablet through it to access a Christmas playlist.
I'm not sniffy about streaming, CDs or downloads, I just chose to stick with vinyl as my No 1 source.

matthewpianist

It's definitely mood for me, when I am relaxed and have a good listening session ahead. That doesn't happen as often as it used to.

My turntable and cartridge are every bit as good as I need, and more, and there will be no further investment in vinyl replay for me. I'm also out of the game for purchasing new LPs now, for reasons of expense and some bad experiences with poor pressings. I may still pick up the odd second hand LP if I chance upon something I really want, but it's more about revisiting old favourites. There's certainly a nostalgia element for me; I grew up in the 80s and 90s listening to a lot of vinyl and as much as I've tried to drop the format completely I always end up missing it.

CD is my main format, and my huge collection means I can't envisage having a system without a CD player, though my buying has come to almost a complete halt. I'm streaming most new music now and buying only the odd album that really stands out (my latest is the new Josienne Clarke album, 'Onliness', which I purchased direct through BandCamp, and I will likely buy the new album by The Ducks, 'High Flying', as I'm a big Neil Young fan).

Reactions: mrob

DCarmi

For me it is nostalgia and dedication to the task. Listening to records is something I do as the only thing and I have a fair selection gathered over the years. CDs (and streaming) are often whilst engaged in doing something else. It is not that I don't put a CD on just to listen, though. It is just that for me vinyl demands a different level of attention. CDs can be paused and rewound more easily.

I guess I see vinyl as more of a ritual.

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
Because sometimes things on vinyl actually sound 'better' (very subjective) than some digitally remastered streaming sources. OK, they might not be perfect and crackle free, but the musicality can be appreciated more. Fine example is Grace Jones "Use Me". Sounds way better on my 1981 pressing than it does streaming UHD from Amazon or on the CD copy I have.

Reactions: Al ears and Gray

Gray

Because sometimes things on vinyl actually sound 'better' (very subjective) than some digitally remastered streaming sources. OK, they might not be perfect and crackle free, but the musicality can be appreciated more. Fine example is Grace Jones "Use Me". Sounds way better on my 1981 pressing than it does streaming UHD from Amazon or on the CD copy I have.
The 12" "Slave To The Rythm" is amongst my best sounding vinyl (not least due to the Trevor Horn production).

Reactions: Al ears and Nico69

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org

Ah yes, magical audiophile pixei dust. To be serious, the reason why some records sound better may be the recording, or rather the mixing. Many CDs are horribly compressed, it seems to be worse for recordings from the eighties such as Motorhead. Of course there may be other reasons. I’ve not used records since I was sixteen, over forty years ago. We used to have a bakelite and veneer music player when I was young, I think it was from the thirties or forties.

mrob

Mar 7, 2023
Visit site
For me it is nostalgia and dedication to the task. ...
I guess I see vinyl as more of a ritual.
This.

I mainly listen to hires streams, once in a while CDs (those i can't find anymore and did not extract yet).

But once in a while, I'm in a mood for a vynil ritual 😁

Concerning SQ, I agree it is subjective; I wouldn't say it is better than digital, but different, yes. Whatever this difference is, some like it, others don't...

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
As others have said, some music is only on LP, others only on CD. But I also have some recordings on both, and listen to the CD version, to preserve the sound of vinyl, which I prefer. But not always.
Convenience comes into it, too, so I listen to either CD, or the version ripped to hard drive by my Star, which gives the ability to instantly change track or album.
That said, I'm happy to enjoy the experience of playing LPs, to enjoy the sound experience, quite often better than CD. YMMV.
And I usually listen via my SR 325X phones.

Reactions: Al ears
My listening habits seem to ebb and flow with the weather, and countless other influences, but I rarely find myself in the mood to spin a few records instead of CDs.
I don’t stream, but I watch live music via YouTube. It’s quite good for watching pro-shot gigs of favourite bands.
Today became a day to put a record on, because the album I wanted to listen to is one I only have on the black stuff. So, it’s given me an appetite to listen to a few more this evening.
What makes you reach for the records?
Mood? Preference? Choice?
I’ve certainly got to be in the right mood too, which this evening, I definitely am.
I need my vinyl 'fix' every 3-4 days, any longer I'm almost clawing the walls down

matthewpianist

As others have said, some music is only on LP, others only on CD. But I also have some recordings on both, and listen to the CD version, to preserve the sound of vinyl, which I prefer. But not always.
Convenience comes into it, too, so I listen to either CD, or the version ripped to hard drive by my Star, which gives the ability to instantly change track or album.
That said, I'm happy to enjoy the experience of playing LPs, to enjoy the sound experience, quite often better than CD. YMMV.
And I usually listen via my SR 325X phones.

Innocent question and by no means a criticism... Why preserve the sound of an LP by not playing it? Surely that removes the whole point of owning the LP?

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
This weekend I'm playing purely vinyl as I've just upgraded my cartridge and stylus to a RigB AT95 Paratrace. It's the single best upgrade I've done, even beyond my new amp, cd player and speakers! I'm just spinning LPs just to hear things on them I've not heard before. It's dreamy..It's creamy. It's detailed. It's delicious. Should have done this months ago.

AlbertListens

Apr 22, 2023
Visit site
I listen A LOT on Spotify, but I feel the music experience "complete" on vinyl.
With LPs I stop other activities and dedicate myself to all the steps of the experience, from the packaging, the booklets (if there are any), to the music itself, of course.

As someone mentioned before, LPs are not cheap, so I buy only the ones I really like and want to enjoy. I noticed I am more likely to avoid skipping songs, which I do a lot with CDs and liquid music.

And that's it

Oxfordian

Vinyl, it is just great, that whole process of choosing what you want to listen too, the process of getting everything ready and then the pure joy of listening to your choice being played, and you have something tactile to hold and look at, just awesome.

I grew up when the mediums for music were Vinyl, Cassette and Radio, that was it, I adopted CD's they were so much better than cassettes and had a CD player in the car as soon as they became available but vinyl, well that has stayed with me, and although for many years the HiFi stuff just sat in the loft due to a lack of space in the house to have it up and running, once the kids moved out the stuff came out of the loft and now I have a great little system that gives me just what I want.

Yes I have tried streaming and sadly it does nothing for me, I find it cold and un-involving, I know that many just love streaming and see it as the way forward and it probably is but for me Vinyl will always be king.

Reactions: hifi and Nico69

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts