What is your favourite female vocal?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Wow this thread could go on for some time (hopefully).

Heard a voice and a song on the radio at the weekend traveling to Stoke, I'd not come across it in years and the song sent shivers down my spine.

Midnight Train To Georgia, Gladys Knight.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
gi14.jpg

Kate Bush

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
If I had to choose one track it would be

Clare Torry on Pink Floyds 'Great Gig In The Sky' off Dark Side Of The Moon.

More generally though

June Tabor,
Linda Thompson,
Joan Baez,
Mimi Farino,
Dusty Springfield,
Etta James,
Mahalia Jackson,

Joni Mitchell - if combined with her song writing talents, vocally alone she just loses out on top marks.

Duffy - why? Is it just me or is Duffy a rip off of what the French singer Carmel was doing 20 years earlier.

Amy Winehouse - Definitely the best current mainstream voice out there.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Right then let`s go -

Edda - vocalist from the `Once Upon A Time In The West` soundtrack by Ennio Morricone. Stunning.

Kate Bush - `This Woman`s Work`

Barbra Streisand - `Evergreen`

Diana Ross - `All Of My Life`, `Touch Me In The Morning`, `When You Tell Me That You Love Me`

Celine Dion - `My Heart Will Go On`

Faith Hill - `There You`ll Be`

Stevie Nicks - `Beauty And The Beast`, `Sara`, `Beautiful Child`, `Gypsy`.

Karen Carpenter - `Goodbye To Love`

Sandy Denny - `Who Knows Where The Time Goes`, `Fotheringay`, `I`ll Keep It With Mine`.

Sarah Brightman - `Only An Ocean Away`, `Scarborough Fair`, `Here With Me`, `La Wally`.

Enya - `Evening Falls`

Elaine Paige - `Memory`, `Windmills Of Your Mind`.

Agnetha Faltskog - `To Love`, `The Winner Takes It All` (with Abba), `Disillusion`,

Lea Salonga/Claire Moore - `I Still Believe` (from `Miss Saigon`)

Frances Ruffelle - `On My Own` (from `Les Miserables`)

Aimee Mann - `Time Stand Still` (guest vocal on Rush track)

Judy Collins - `Both Sides Now`.

Joni Mitchell - `Both Sides Now`

Alessandra Drusian - `Fiumi Di Parole` (with Jalisse performing Italy`s 1997 Eurovision Song Contest Entry)

Julianne Regan - `She Moves Through The Fair`, `December`. (both with All About Eve)

Olivia Newton-John - `Don`t Cut Me Down`, `Pegasus`, `I Honestly Love You`.

Ruby Winters - `I Will`

Sam Brown - `Stop`

Donna Summer - `I Love You`, `There Will Always Be A You`, `All Through The Night`, `Once Upon A Time`.

Bernie Nolan - `Spirit, Body and Soul`.

Randy Crawford - `Almaz`

Christina Aguilera - `Hurt`

Heather Findlay - `Evergreen`, `Shrinking Violet`, `The Gap Is Too Wide`. (all with Mostly Autumn)

Jacqui McShee - `Let No Man Steal Your Thyme` (with the Pentangle)

Doris Day - `Secret Love`

Clare Torry - `The Great Gig In The Sky` (with Pink Floyd)

Tarja Turunen - `Nemo` (with Nightwish)

Annifrid Lyngstad - `Gonna Sing You My Lovesong` (with Abba)

Linda Rondstadt - `Desperado`

Ann Wilson - `Cry To Me`, `Alone`, `What About Love`, `I Want You So Bad`, `Bad Animals`, `Dog And Butterfly`. (all with Heart)

Linda Thompson - `Withered And Died`

Abigail Haness - `Super Heroes` (from the original Roxy cast of the `Rocky Horror Show` soundtrack) Abigail Haness used to be one of Carole Kings backing vocalists.

Nicki Lamborn - `Cry Out`, `Alone` (both with Never The Bride)

Marian Segal - `Fly On Strangewings` (with Jade), `Swallow` (guest vocalist with Circulus)

Mama Cass - `It`s Getting Better` (with the Mamas and the Papas)

Eve Graham - `Alright My Love` (with the New Seekers) underrated vocalist

Elaine Caswell - `It`s All Coming Back To Me Now` (original version of this song with Pandoras Box)

Holly Sherwood - `Good Girls Go To Heaven` (with Pandoras Box), `Tonight Is What It Means To Be Young`(with Fire Inc. from the `Streets Of Fire` soundtrack), also her vocal wail on Bonnie Tyler`s `Faster Than The Speed Of Night`.

Bonnie Tyler - `Lovers Again`, `Take Me Back`.

Whoever does the spookily brilliant vocal wail on Rammsteins `Sonne`. I have the cd but my son`s borrowed it at the moment so I can`t look it up.

Whichever one of the Nolan Sisters who performs a gorgeous vocal wail at the beginning of a Nolans song called `Love Transformation`. This tune was used back in the seventies to advertise Dulux paint. Still one of my all time favourite song intros. Stunning.

Lastly and this one comes very highly recommended is `You Are The Reason` by Air Supply from their `Yours Truly` album. This song is a duet which features a brilliant female vocalist called Mehnaz. I strongly believe that this song will be picked up by someone someday who will have a big hit with it.

A

Anonymous

Spacehopper:

I agree female vocalists are much more emotive and as such it's more difficult to pin down. Two that instantly spring to mind are Aretha Franklin - Say A Little Prayer ...

That's gotta be up near the top. My skin went all tingly just remembering it.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
survivor:Right then let`s go...

It's "What is your favorite female vocal", not "List every female vocal performance ever"

BTW, you left out Florence Foster Jenkins.

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
I could not name a single favourite and track, its mood dependent as much as anything, the most played is probably one few have heard of, the absolutley amazing Christine Collister-the Love album,

other than that, Nina Simone, Dusty, Diana Krall, Melody Gardot, Madelaine Peyroux,

If you are looking for 'unknowns' track down Angie Palmer on the internety, and buy her last 3 albums, but more importantly try and see her live, especially if Richard Curran is on stage with her. Get your Hi-Fi to catch the sound of Richards Mandolin and Fidle playing at home and you are winning.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

It's "What is your favorite female vocal", not "List every female vocal performance ever"

Well, one would.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

That`s my list after a LOT of narrowing down! Sadly Florence didn`t quite make it this time.

One of my favourite performances which I forgot to include is -

Tina Arena - `Live For The One I Love` which is from the Notre Dame musical from about nine years ago. She sings the song well enough on the cd but sang it even better live.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:idc:Duffy and Mercy............................................
I still harbour a sneaking suspicion that all her tracks are recorded to be played at 33 1/3 and are being run at 45rpm.

And that commercial with her on a bike in Asda must be the most annoying ever. It makes 'I want to do a poo at Paul's house' look like great art...

Yes I really dont get it the fuss about Duffy either. She's not very good live, saw her on Jools Holland once and her singing was rather strange to say the least. For example, on that song she had out one of the lines is something like "I wish you well, but you cant tell", but she was singing it like "I wish you we e e e e e e e ll, but you cant te e e e e e ell." Really awful.

idc

OK, so Duffy was not a popular choice. So I will also nominate Adele with 'Hometown Glory' and Sinead O'Connor with 'Nothing Compares 2 U'. And I still like Duffy.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
idc:OK, so Duffy was not a popular choice. So I will also nominate Adele with 'Hometown Glory' and Sinead O'Connor with 'Nothing Compares 2 U'. And I still like Duffy.

Yeh thats more like it
emotion-2.gif
. Hometown Glory is truly brilliant.

A

Anonymous

Andy H:Stevie Nicks. Anything by her really. OOOOH I think i'm in love!!
Good call... I like "Blue Denim" from Street Angel and "Fall From Grace" from Trouble in Shangri-La!

It's about time all her cd's were digitally re-warbled!

scubasteve

Jul 6, 2007
Visit site
Gotta say, Stacey Kent gets a lot of airtime on my system. Collections 3 audiophile recording is simply divine to listen to.

if there had to be only one though it would be Ella

idc

JamesOK:

idc:OK, so Duffy was not a popular choice. So I will also nominate Adele with 'Hometown Glory' and Sinead O'Connor with 'Nothing Compares 2 U'. And I still like Duffy.

Yeh thats more like it
emotion-2.gif
. Hometown Glory is truly brilliant.

Back in the running, excellent. Here are two more;

Debbie Harry with Union City Blues or Heart of Glass...........................

zoe.jpg

TRENDING THREADS