What is your favourite female vocal?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matthewpiano

Some extras:

Sandy Denny - 'Who Knows Where The Time Goes' (the earlier version she recorded with Strawbs)

Sandy Denny - 'White Dress'

Sandy Denny - 'Crazy Man Michael' (one of RT's best songs, sung beautifully on Fairport's seminal 'Liege & Lief' album.)

Mary Black - 'The Shadow' (from the album 'No Frontiers')

Claire Hammill - 'Where Are Your Smiles At' (saw her live recently and she is still wonderful)

Pretty much anything recorded by Linda Thompson.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
There are some great choices coming out.

Remember, though, boys and girls, that the thread is 'Favourite Female Vocal', So please nominate a track as well as the performer, so People know what to look for if they want to check out your suggestion.

Cheers,

Carry On!

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Olivia Sparnenn - `I`ve Been Thinking` Taken from the album `Breathing Space` by Iain Jennings/Breathing Space.

Breathing Space is a group/project put together by Mostly Autumn`s keyboard player Iain Jennings. Lead vocalist for this band and also backing vocalist for Mostly Autumn is the lovely Olivia Sparnenn. I highly recommend you give this track a listen on My Space or Spotify. The vocal on this track is stunning and if you ever get a chance to see Mostly Autumn live please do so and discover why this band has been favourite over the last ten years. I `ve also had the pleasure of meeting Olivia and she is really, really lovely! To think that Mostly Autumn currently feature three great vocalists (Heather Findlay, Olivia Sparnenn and ex-lead singer of Karnataka Anne-Marie Helder) is astonishing.

Knew I`d missed one!
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

nads:

I am liking Tarja with out the rest of Nightwish currently have My Winter storm on.

Looking to get the seer as well.

The Seer is a great companion of My Winter Storm, lots of nice remixes and a few live tracks. Best track on The Seer is the Tagtgren Lost Northern Star remix imho.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Tonestar1:
Four standouts that I'm thinking of atm.

Mama Cass dream a little dream

Tracy C Fastcar

Stevie N just like a woman

Martina Topely Bird I'd do anything for you

I loved the stuff Martina did with Tricky on 'Maxinquaye'. That's one sexy voice!

Actually, they're all great choices, mate. Good work. You've made me want to pull out Tracy Chapman. Haven't listened to that album in ages.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Probably Joni Mitchell's Both Sides Now, the one she re-recorded in about 1980.But it might be Paula Cole's Nietzsche's Eyes.

Paula Cole?

That's ringing a bell. Is she the girl that did 'Where have all the cowboys gone?' years ago. I bloody loved that song.

John Duncan

bretty:
JohnDuncan:Probably Joni Mitchell's Both Sides Now, the one she re-recorded in about 1980.But it might be Paula Cole's Nietzsche's Eyes.

Paula Cole?

That's ringing a bell. Is she the girl that did 'Where have all the cowboys gone?' years ago. I bloody loved that song.

Yup, from 'This Fire'. Has 'I Don't Want to Wait' on it as well, which has been ruined by some American teen angst show like The OC or Beverley Hills 90210 or something.

Her best work is on Peter Gabriel's Secret World Live though, where she out-Bushes Kate on Don't Give Up. The DVD is also improved by her presence, if you know what I mean.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:bretty:

Paula Cole?

Yup, from 'This Fire'. Has 'I Don't Want to Wait' on it as well, which has been ruined by some American teen angst show like The OC or Beverley Hills 90210 or something.Her best work is on Peter Gabriel's Secret World Live though, where she out-Bushes Kate on Don't Give Up. The DVD is also improved by her presence, if you know what I mean.

Cheers, John, for reminding me of that great track. Just bought 'This Fire' off Amazon. 17p. Can't be bad.

Trefor Patten

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Just about anything by Patricia Barber and Love is Blindness (U2 cover) by Cassandra Wilson. My all-time favourite artist is Joni Mitchell, but more for her writing than performance.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
stevee1966:Dolores O'Riorden (Cranberries) - No Need To Argue

She's a proper 'Marmite' artist, isn't she? That Irish inflection of her voice, you either love or hate.

Personally, love it and 'No need to argue' is a great track and album.

strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Wow, there are just a few already selected. I see the same few names cropping up though. Dusty (Spooky is my favourite), Aretha (Say A Little Prayer), Martina Topley-Bird (the whole first album), Debbie Harry (Union City Blue), Jewel (everything she's ever done) agreed. And I can't believe nobody's mentioned Betty Boo (that's not entirely a joke as she is/was actually a very capable singer - just a shame she chose to be a bit shouty), but top of the pile for me is easily Sarah Nixey - http://www.myspace.com/sarahnixey - the best diction of any singer I've ever heard if not a perfect voice (thought damn well close), and a breathiness (if such a word exists) that makes my ears perk up and just grabs my attention.

Stand out track - probably When I'm Here With You. The version on Myspace I believe is a kind of unplugged version (and no doubt loses a lot due to compression). The album version is fantastic.

A

Anonymous

Lot's of very nice sounding ladies in the thread sofar.

Let my throw a surprise in here, I'm guessing you won't know this one: Verena von strenge.

She did a briliant job on the cd "Dune and the london session orchestra - Forever".

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts