What is your favourite female vocal?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Personally, I find female vocals more emotive and involving than male, in general (of course there are exceptions. Jeff Buckley, anyone?)

Picking one female track is more difficult than the male for me. However, I think it's gonna have to be

Jewel - 'Foolish Games'

A

Anonymous

Great post. I look forward to hearing peoples favourites. Im stuck between two so sorry for cheating!! It would be either

Aretha Franklin on 'The House That Jack Built' or

Liz Frazer with This Mortal Coil on 'Song to the Siren' (Tim Buckley cover)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
bretty:
Personally, I find female vocals more emotive and involving than male, in general (of course there are exceptions. Jeff Buckley, anyone?)

Picking one female track is more difficult than the male for me. However, I think it's gonna have to be

Jewel - 'Foolish Games'

Wow, that's a very difficult one. I will go with Sam Brown, "Stop!", and Amy Winehouse, I've just started getting into Elvis's wife, Diana Krall - amazing voice. I could listen to Alicia Keys all day. Play Dead by Bjork.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:bretty:

Jewel - 'Foolish Games'

Wow, that's a very difficult one. I will go with Sam Brown, "Stop!", and Amy Winehouse, I've just started getting into Elvis's wife, Diana Krall - amazing voice. I could listen to Alicia Keys all day. Play Dead by Bjork.

Some good shouts there, mate.

'Play dead' was on my short list. Alicia keys' 'Butterflies' from 'Songs in A minor' is great too.

matthewpiano

Renee Fleming singing 'Russalka's Song To The Moon' from Dvorak's opera 'Russalka'. Divine singing.

Also, Joni Mitchell's 'Tin Angel' from the album 'Clouds' and Nina Simone singing 'Wild Is The Wind'.

mike aitch

Feb 9, 2008
Visit site
anything karen carpenter ever sang,barbra steisand evergreen,liz fraser is a fantastic shout, any cocteau twins tune,miss aguilera beautiful,,amy lee broken ,haley williams when it rains,oh dear this is hard!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
ooooh, so MANY! Probably my top five are:

Ella Fitzgerald

Nina Simone

Julie London

Aretha Franklin

Dusty Springfield

..and that's without Diana Krall, Eva Cassidy, Dinah Washington, Madeleine Peyroux, Keely Smith, Billie Holiday, Amy Winehouse, Nancy Sinatra, Tori Amos, Carole King, Carly Simon, Mama Cass, Suzanne Vega, Michelle Shocked, KD Lang and more i've probably forgotten!

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
idc:
Duffy and Mercy............................................

personally i'd rather be fired from a cannon into a wall.

karen carpenter for me.

A

Anonymous

bretty:

Jewel - 'Foolish Games'

Now you've done it ! You do realise everyone will now be scouring their record collections
emotion-2.gif

I agree female vocalists are much more emotive and as such it's more difficult to pin down. Two that instantly spring to mind are Aretha Franklin - Say A Little Prayer and Ruby Andrews - Just Loving You.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
ooooh, so MANY! Probably my top five are:

Ella Fitzgerald

Nina Simone

Julie London

Aretha Franklin

Dusty Springfield

..and that's without Diana Krall, Eva Cassidy, Dinah Washington, Madeleine Peyroux, Keely Smith, Billie Holiday, Amy Winehouse, Nancy Sinatra, Tori Amos, Carole King, Carly Simon, Mama Cass, Suzanne Vega, Michelle Shocked, KD Lang and more i've probably forgotten!

Now come on, Mrs(?) Newsome, the threads called 'Favourite female vocal'! You can't just name all the women you like, you've got to narrow it down a wee bit! It's tricky, isn't it?

By the way, did you see Madeleine Peyroux on Jools, last night? First i'd heard of her, but the girl can sing.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Spacehopper:bretty:

Jewel - 'Foolish Games'

Now you've done it ! You do realise everyone will now be scouring their record collections
emotion-2.gif

I agree female vocalists are much more emotive and as such it's more difficult to pin down. Two that instantly spring to mind are Aretha Franklin - Say A Little Prayer and Ruby Andrews - Just Loving You.

I know, Hopefully this thread will unearth some gems. It's good to get the ol' cogs turning every now and again!

A

Anonymous

One I listened to this morning which is quite brilliant is Mama by Esther Marrow.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
idc:Duffy and Mercy............................................
I still harbour a sneaking suspicion that all her tracks are recorded to be played at 33 1/3 and are being run at 45rpm.

And that commercial with her on a bike in Asda must be the most annoying ever. It makes 'I want to do a poo at Paul's house' look like great art...

A

Anonymous

Hmmm, tricky.

Dani Klein of Vaya Con Dios? Alison Moyet? Cleo Lane? Billy Holiday? Suzanne Vega?

No, it has to be the one, the only ... Ella Fitzgerald.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:idc:Duffy and Mercy............................................

I still harbour a sneaking suspicion that all her tracks are recorded to be played at 33 1/3 and are being run at 45rpm.

And that commercial with her on a bike in Asda must be the most annoying ever. It makes 'I want to do a poo at Paul's house' look like great art...

Oh now come on. Dont forget that loans ad - "how much do we wanna borrow?" mouths ostentatiously "T.W.E.N.T.Y. F.I.V.E.?".

Yes, you patronising morons, 25! Remember ad berks - having an ad stick in the mind is not always good. sometimes it can make one avoid a company, possibly to the detriment of all.

some will have realised you regard your public as morons. The others...dare i say it?...no...will have used your comapny.

"Ooh hes such a great, real bloke talking football with me, i simply must do business with him..." Oh, just shut it!

Ahem.

Now, surely its a sad enditement of something/one - possibly me - taht i cant think of enough good female vocal performances. Nothing really "stand-out".

Soul shine by Beth Hart? Alanis has a unique voice, generally great to me but can be grating.

i like son of a preacherman but im not sure its the vocal as such, but the whole package...

Norah Jones' voice - despite the fact i only have one of her songs - does things to me. Sorry, probably too much info.

So, Norah Jones on anything at all, ever, then.

And most things with Sarah Brightman and Memory with Elaine Page.

And Joss Stone and Melissa Etheridge covering Cry Baby and Another Piece O' My Heart. Youtube it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts