What is the proof that different food tastes different?

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Just kidding....

Although, an analogy can be made that people say that different cooking surfaces (teflon versus cast iron for instance) will result in the same food tasting different. Rather hard to prove this as well...

A

Anonymous

In fact its easy to tell with different cooking surfaces - try a good steak on a cast iron and a teflon - you'll see! Heat dissipates differently resulting in more/less moisture & taste loss!

emotion-2.gif

(How is that for a 'serious' answer!)

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
If you blindfold yourself and put Q-Tips up your nose (thus avoiding any extraneous sensory input), all food tastes the same. Any fule kno that.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Surely everyone knows that the universe is effectively made up of the basic element of chicken (which is still to be recognised on the periodic table). Hence why everything tastes of chicken.

Except pork, of course.

A

Anonymous

professorhat:
Surely everyone knows that the universe is effectively made up of the basic element of chicken (which is still to be recognised on the periodic table). Hence why everything tastes of chicken.

Except pork, of course.

Whale meat again, don't know where, don't know when.........
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

ok.
So most of taste is smell, right (hence why you taste less with a cold).

Well, for a while they've been able to smell with synthetic noses (things like plastic explosives at airports and they even hunt for truffles with them). This proves that all things smell the same in reality.

So really we are all tasting the same thing.

Colour is harder to prove.

A

Anonymous

Who are they? Are they from this planet? Are dogs and pigs actually super-intelligent beings conning us lesser mortals into playing with hifis while they snuffle and snaffle our truffles?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
ashworth_rich:ok.

Well, for a while they've been able to smell with synthetic noses (things like plastic explosives at airports and they even hunt for truffles with them). This proves that all things smell the same in reality.

I don't think that goes at all, all that proves is that molecular samplers (which is what the sniffers are actually) register molecules in the same way, which isn't that surprising as the devices are probably all made by the same company. That certainly doesn't mean that humans all react in the same way to any given molecule that enters the nose. I mean personally speaking I know that I can barely smell, errr, human effluence, at all; we had to open up one of our drains a few years back because it was blocked, everyone else recoiled in horror, I never even noticed anything, and yet in general I have an excellent sense of smell, just not where that particular smell is concerned.

We can't even be sure that everyone's olfactory organs can detect the same molecules, let alone work out whether the brain interprets the signals coming from that organ in the same way.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:Well Coca Cola tastes different out of a glass than it does from a plastic bottle

No, thats the Jack Daniels you put in first!!

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:

Except pork, of course.

And chicken pot noodles, not sure what they taste of, any takers??

A

Anonymous

jaxwired:
Just kidding....

Although, an analogy can be made that people say that different cooking surfaces (teflon versus cast iron for instance) will result in the same food tasting different. Rather hard to prove this as well...

Actually it's very easy. Set up a Sensory Analysis session, in a controlled lab environment, take a set of calibrated tasters (calibrated so that they reflect the thresholds of the general population - not Super-tasters), run the tests, crunch the numbers et voil…, you can statistically prove what level of the general population will be able to tell a difference.

You can do the same with colour, texture and sound.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:
ashworth_rich:ok.

I don't think that goes at all, all that proves is that molecular samplers (which is what the sniffers are actually) register molecules in the same way, which isn't that surprising as the devices are probably all made by the same company. That certainly doesn't mean that humans all react in the same way to any given molecule that enters the nose. I mean personally speaking I know that I can barely smell, errr, human effluence, at all; we had to open up one of our drains a few years back because it was blocked, everyone else recoiled in horror, I never even noticed anything, and yet in general I have an excellent sense of smell, just not where that particular smell is concerned.

We can't even be sure that everyone's olfactory organs can detect the same molecules, let alone work out whether the brain interprets the signals coming from that organ in the same way.

The human nose has receptors which are activated when a corresponding molecule plugs into it. After a short period of time, once these receptors are fully populated the net result is you can't smell the smell.

I gave up smoking for a bit and I was surprised just how smelly smokers are. When I was smoking, I can't smell the smoke on me at all.

So, if you are unable to smell faeces, I can only assume.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts