What is the best headphone below €400?

vilscon

Apr 13, 2016
Visit site
I'm looking for some new headphones that can transport me to another dimension. I'm currently using Bowers & Wilkins P3 and I've tried my dads Bose QuietComfort 3 that made me jump to a next level pair of headphones.

I'm surprised that the premium headphones by Bowers & Wilkins aren't reviewed that great and I found a few reviews stating that the current Bose QuietComfort 25 aren't the best headphones around, purely based upon sound quality. So which is?

My gear
A little side info: All my music comes from Spotify Premium and Apple Music, which are 320KBs Mp3 and 256KBs AAC, directly from my Macbook Pro 15" 2012 & iPhone 6+, which will both by upgraded to the new maxed-out Macbook Pro 2016 and iPhone 7 later this year. No additional DAC in between.

My music taste
I prefer a wide range of music. I love warm music, such as Country and Acoustic/rock music (Gavin James/Adele-like), but also the more powerfull range of music, such as Queen, Metallica or perhaps even worse: (death-)metal, ranging from Slipknot to Dead by April to August burns Red to any kind of music of which you can't recall any of the words of the vocalist. But in the end: The best music there is, is music that can let you sit back, relax and let you dream of another world while your eyes are closed.

What's the best one?
I know sound quality is subjective and thus different per person, but what could be stated as 'the best headphones' currently available below €400,- ? Perhaps make a top 3.

A little side note: I think Noise cancelling matters, since this really helps forget everything around you.. So perhaps consider that making your best bet.

K

keeper of the quays

vilscon said:
I'm looking for some new headphones that can transport me to another dimension. I'm currently using Bowers & Wilkins P3 and I've tried my dads Bose QuietComfort 3 that made me jump to a next level pair of headphones.

I'm surprised that the premium headphones by Bowers & Wilkins aren't reviewed that great and I found a few reviews stating that the current Bose QuietComfort 25 aren't the best headphones around, purely based upon sound quality. So which is?

My gearA little side info: All my music comes from Spotify Premium and Apple Music, which are 320KBs Mp3 and 256KBs AAC, directly from my Macbook Pro 15" 2012 & iPhone 6+, which will both by upgraded to the new maxed-out Macbook Pro 2016 and iPhone 7 later this year. No additional DAC in between.

My music tasteI prefer a wide range of music. I love warm music, such as Country and Acoustic/rock music (Gavin James/Adele-like), but also the more powerfull range of music, such as Queen, Metallica or perhaps even worse: (death-)metal, ranging from Slipknot to Dead by April to August burns Red to any kind of music of which you can't recall any of the words of the vocalist. But in the end: The best music there is, is music that can let you sit back, relax and let you dream of another world while your eyes are closed.

What's the best one?I know sound quality is subjective and thus different per person, but what could be stated as 'the best headphones' currently available below €400,- ? Perhaps make a top 3. 

A little side note: I think Noise cancelling matters, since this really helps forget everything around you.. So perhaps consider that making your best bet.
My AKG 550 sound good..bout £120 new.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
vilscon said:

My gearA little side info: All my music comes from Spotify Premium and Apple Music, which are 320KBs Mp3 and 256KBs AAC, directly from my Macbook Pro 15" 2012 & iPhone 6+, which will both by upgraded to the new maxed-out Macbook Pro 2016 and iPhone 7 later this year. No additional DAC in between.

My music tasteI prefer a wide range of music. I love warm music, such as Country and Acoustic/rock music (Gavin James/Adele-like), but also the more powerfull range of music, such as Queen, Metallica or perhaps even worse: (death-)metal, ranging from Slipknot to Dead by April to August burns Red to any kind of music of which you can't recall any of the words of the vocalist. But in the end: The best music there is, is music that can let you sit back, relax and let you dream of another world while your eyes are closed.

What's the best one?I know sound quality is subjective and thus different per person, but what could be stated as 'the best headphones' currently available below €400,- ? Perhaps make a top 3.

AKG K553.

AKG K712.

Sennheiser HD800.

I've reviewed 150 headphones, and all have flaws that can irritate their users. These are 3 of the least flawed when not using EQ.

vilscon

Apr 13, 2016
Visit site
dalethorn said:
AKG K553.

AKG K712.

Sennheiser HD800.

I've reviewed 150 headphones, and all have flaws that can irritate their users. These are 3 of the least flawed when not using EQ.

On a scale of 1-10, could you give a number for both AKG's and the Bose QuietComfort 25 (assuming you also reviewed that one?)? Just to get me an impression how well they perform against eachother.

I got a set of AKG K845BT here. I love the treble on that one, but overall I prefer my cheaper B&W P3.. Therefor I'm a bit carefull (not really the correct word..) with AKG.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
vilscon said:
dalethorn said:
AKG K553.

AKG K712.

Sennheiser HD800.

On a scale of 1-10, could you give a number for both AKG's and the Bose QuietComfort 25 (assuming you also reviewed that one?)? Just to get me an impression how well they perform against eachother.

I got a set of AKG K845BT here. I love the treble on that one, but overall I prefer my cheaper B&W P3.. Therefor I'm a bit carefull (not really the correct word..) with AKG.

The two AKG's are 8/10 for quality sound. Most people would prefer the 553 as it's closed-back and less bright. The QC-25 is fairly neutral and excellent for situations where high noise canceling is a must, but compared to the AKG's it lacks some musical detail for quality listening on a home hi-fi, plus it has a mild hiss. The hiss will be essentially inaudible in portable use, but could be intrusive for home listening. BTW, if you like the recessed treble of the P3, you might find the AKG's to be too bright. Note Vladimir's suggestion of the MK3 Fostex above. I've been interested in it for sometime, but haven't tried it yet. It might be a winner.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
dalethorn said:
vilscon said:

AKG K553.

AKG K712.

Sennheiser HD800.

HD600? Can you get the 800s for that price? They seemed quite power hungry too so straight from a MacBook seems like a challenge.

I'd forget about noise cancelling, but a closed back headphone might work well. The best Fostex you can get in your budget. The B&W P7 works well straight into a MacBook. Maybe not the best for the money because you pay for the leather and nice construction, but they do a good job blocking out sound without the sacrifice to sound quality that noise cancelling usually entails.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
ID. said:
dalethorn said:
vilscon said:

AKG K553.

AKG K712.

Sennheiser HD800.

HD600? Can you get the 800s for that price? They seemed quite power hungry too so straight from a MacBook seems like a challenge.

I'd forget about noise cancelling, but a closed back headphone might work well. The best Fostex you can get in your budget. The B&W P7 works well straight into a MacBook. Maybe not the best for the money because you pay for the leather and nice construction, but they do a good job blocking out sound without the sacrifice to sound quality that noise cancelling usually entails.

The HD 600 are still on offer at Amazon, but they were offering them at £20 cheaper only a week ago - but no ANC, and they are open back.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-HD-600-Monitoring-Headphones/dp/B00004SY4H/

The HD 800 are much dearer, and haven't dropped in price even though the HD 800S has been released.

The PSB M4U2 seem to be liked by a lot of people as combining good musical reproduction, with reasonably good ANC.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PSB-M4U2-Noise-Cancelling-Headphones-Diamond-Black/dp/B007TTD7VO/

If you can do without the ANC, the PSB M4U1 are still on offer.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PSB-M4U1-Headphones-Monza-Red/dp/B00BX04Z48/

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
vilscon said:

But in the end: The best music there is, is music that can let you sit back, relax and let you dream of another world while your eyes are closed.

HD 800 are way over your budget and probably not warm and lush enough for what you're seeking. I would recommend the HD650's, although they are open back and not noise cancelling - but then noise cancelling headphones are not the best for sound quality so it's a case of which is more important to you. For the money, in a quiet environment, the 650's will let you do exactly what you say above and is the reason I bought them instead of one of the several others that I listened to.

They are 300 ohms impedance but go more than loud enough plugged into my laptop; don't know about an iphone, you might need to get a little amp.

Edit: £233 at pro audio shop gear4music or £400 RRP at John Lewis!

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
If you're in a really noisy environment then noise cancelling makes sense. If it's not that bad then I'd agree with the HD650. I certainly don't find an issue with noise and they being open backed.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
pauln said:
Edit: £233 at pro audio shop gear4music or £400 RRP at John Lewis!

£233 at amazon as well https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00018MSNI

The PSB M4U2 are stll on offer for £189, if you need closed back, and ANC https://www.amazon.co.uk/PSB-M4U2-Noise-Cancelling-Headphones-Diamond-Black/dp/B007TTD7VO

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts