What is happening with some makers?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Going back to the original thread question, I think that experience suggests that if a product doesn't work right brand new, you are better taking it back and getting your money back/switching to a different product. I think often that if something doesn't work on a new purchase then the whole batch is likely to be wrong. I had a new amplifier that hummed, the replacement did as well. I had a tuner that had periodic signal drop out, found on the internet it was a persistent problem with that model, got my money back. A replacement cd player on a warranty has a periodic grating sound when loading and is slow to load, this is a common theme for the model on internet reviews. I guess the approach of just killing the deal straight away is a bit brutal, but I think I've come to the view it saves a lot of hassle in the long run.

iamthegruffalo

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
iamthegruffalo said:
What is happening with some makers?
Interesting that you have used the word "Maker" and not manufacturer, any reason?

Nope. Do think you are being pedantic, though. The point has come across with sufficient clarity. :)

Sorry, clumsy use of phraseology there, I just wondered why you chose maker, Inquisitive thats all?

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
I will no doubt buy another Rega product, I like the miniamlism and bang for buck!

Give me a Brio R over a Naim 5si any day! I have heard both side by side and IMO the Rega suited me better!

Yes I listened to the Naim last week side by side with the Brio - no contest
That's great. I am genuinely pleased you like the Brio-R so much. No question Rega produce quality gear, and it suits your taste so much. Just that when I had the Apollo CDP the toploading mechanism was a pain and the SQ didn't have enough midrange depth for the Leema and MAs. Whether that's improved by the PMCs, I couldn't say. The only thing I know is my current combo is staggering. And the amp and CDP was less than your old Elicit-R.

The fact that you did not like the top loader, or the voicing is hardly a manufacturing fault, more user error.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
respe said:
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
I will no doubt buy another Rega product, I like the miniamlism and bang for buck!

Give me a Brio R over a Naim 5si any day! I have heard both side by side and IMO the Rega suited me better!

That's great. I am genuinely pleased you like the Brio-R so much. No question Rega produce quality gear, and it suits your taste so much. Just that when I had the Apollo CDP the toploading mechanism was a pain and the SQ didn't have enough midrange depth for the Leema and MAs. Whether that's improved by the PMCs, I couldn't say. The only thing I know is my current combo is staggering. And the amp and CDP was less than your old Elicit-R.

The fact that you did not like the top loader, or the voicing is hardly a manufacturing fault, more user error.

How can that be user error?

I would not have a top loading CDP either as it would not fit into my set up. As for voicing that is taste not user error?

matthewpiano

I've always thought top loading was a strange choice for Rega. Given that most owners of Rega systems are probably highly likely to have a turntable as well, taking up the top shelf of the rack, it makes accomodating the CD player quite difficult.

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
paul darwin said:

At risk of sticking me head above an unwelcoming parapet, it seems that people are very quick to post their opinions and "problems" on line prior to giving a dealer and or a manufacturer the opportunity to investigate aforementioned "problems"

For example, the Elicit R problems that Steve claimed, we have been unable to replicate in at least two of the units, we have not even had the opportunity to comment privately about the Saturn R, let alone address the "problems"

It seems at every turn there are people who are very happy to criticise and the www gives them the platform to vent their spleen however inaccurate or biased that may be. I would absolutely defend peoples rights to comment about their experiences but with this freedom comes a responsibility that increasingly appears to being ignored with a preference for the Warholian 15 minutes of fame that the world wide web and various forums grants.

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

Having read, and re read this post a few times, I can understand why most manufactuers stay off the forums.

I have nothing but praise for rega, their products and customer service are second to none, albeit they seem to have a few problems at the moment. I am sure that given the chance, Rega would solve them to the customers satisfaction.

From my own experience with rega, which goes back to a early P2, through 3,25 and now a 9, brko, planet, saturn, cursa, exon, apheta and ios, when ever I have needed rega's help, it has been given, usually well above what would be expected or considered normal.

I really do not think Mr Darwin has done himself , or Rega, any favours with this response.

respe said:
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:

Never said it was. Only stating a very pertinent point that my rack, with a TT on top, allied to a very lean midrange, meant the Apollo was off the radar. But in terms of detail and clarity it did have the upper hand over the Arcam CDP. That said, the Naim CDP eclipsed the Apollo in pretty much every aspect, especially with the type of amp and speakers I had then.

paul darwin

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Morning Respe,

I would like to apologise unreservedly, to you and anybody else if my comments were mis-interpreted and deemed either offensive or ill-considered, that was certainly not the intention. I was merely trying, albeit perhaps clumsily, to encourage the use of dealers and manufacturers to sort out any problems or issues that may happen rather than posting on forums as the first point of call.

We pride ourselves on the quality of our dealers and the levels of support that they, and we as a manufacturer, offer and provide as a matter of course, and would therefore seek the opportunity to show that on the odd occasion that problems may occur.

I note and thank you for your comments about Regas customer support being above what could be expected or normal, we constantly strive to better serve our customers and I am happy that most of the time we suceed.

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
What does 'buy british' mean today? In all but a very few product areas most products source components from all over the world. My argument & examples could go on for pages but unfortunately the concept is largely dead. Dyson. Honda. Wharfdale. Aldi. .......????

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
You can buy british, even if components are sourced from elsewhere, if the design and build is here, its british. To my mind, Rega, Naim, Jaguar are british, quad, wharfedale, ford, not really.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
paul darwin said:
Morning Respe,

I would like to apologise unreservedly, to you and anybody else if my comments were mis-interpreted and deemed either offensive or ill-considered, that was certainly not the intention. I was merely trying, albeit perhaps clumsily, to encourage the use of dealers and manufacturers to sort out any problems or issues that may happen rather than posting on forums as the first point of call.

We pride ourselves on the quality of our dealers and the levels of support that they, and we as a manufacturer, offer and provide as a matter of course, and would therefore seek the opportunity to show that on the odd occasion that problems may occur.

I note and thank you for your comments about Regas customer support being above what could be expected or normal, we constantly strive to better serve our customers and I am happy that most of the time we suceed.

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

The problem Paul is that many dealers/shops/manufacturers are not very good at the customer service side of things, and a post on a forum such as this can very quickly generate responses from other customers who may have had similar issues. Issues that a single dealer may not have personally encountered.

My own recent experience with a faulty iphone showed this. Posting on the forum saved me perhaps weeks of unnecessary repair delay via Vodafone (who even denied the fault was covered under warranty), when a simple visit to an Apple store (recommended by a WHFSV poster) got me a new phone in 2 minutes.

Hopefully users of WHFSV forum will have the maturity to give manufacturers/dealers sufficient time and explanation to sort problems efficiently, but then highlight any issues to us all if they don't.

(ps. I love my Rega!)

matthewpiano

respe said:
You can buy british, even if components are sourced from elsewhere, if the design and build is here, its british. To my mind, Rega, Naim, Jaguar are british, quad, wharfedale, ford, not really.

Ford were never British. Vauxhall were and, despite the American ownership, it could be said they are still more British than many car manufacturers given the amount of manufacturing they still do here.

So would you class Cambridge Audio as British then? All R&D and design is done in the UK....

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ifor said:
RobinKidderminster said:
What does 'buy british' mean today? In all but a very few product areas most products source components from all over the world. My argument & examples could go on for pages but unfortunately the concept is largely dead. Dyson. Honda. Wharfdale. Aldi. .......????

http://www.buybritish.com/

But that only has 1 hifi manufacturer listed, 1 have never heard of before, so I will check out. Unfortunately many have gone abroad because of the costs here. To be honest I think that site is pretty poor at promoting British products.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
ifor said:
RobinKidderminster said:

Thanks ifor. I dont know how old the site is and I o ly looked at the cars it. Bristol. Mini. MG. Morgan.. Really? QED.

And Dyson & Panasonic !!!!

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
ifor said:
RobinKidderminster said:

But that only has 1 hifi manufacturer listed, 1 have never heard of before, so I will check out. Unfortunately many have gone abroad because of the costs here. To be honest I think that site is pretty poor at promoting British products.

I just counted about 20? You looking in the right place?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
pauln said:
BigH said:
ifor said:
RobinKidderminster said:

Probably not what are they listed under?

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
After reading through this, I have some sympathy with Rega here.

Steve says in an early post that he has nothing to gain from post this thread.

I think he has everything to gain, It assures the attention of the manufacurer and dealer to try and deal with the problem asap,and if I remember correctly not for the first time.

Why not contact the dealer first and try to get the sorted first, and then if he has no joy post on here.............

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
pauln said:
BigH said:
ifor said:
RobinKidderminster said:

Probably not what are they listed under?

There are several subsections in the TV, DVD, Video category.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Your evidence of an alleged increase in problems with HIFI gear is a handful of posts on a forum which you then use to cynically slight manufacturers? "so-called great manufacturers"?

Where is your empirical evidence that HIFI separates were more reliable 20 or 30 years ago? The real difference back then was no WWW for people up and down the country and abroad to post their thoughts so any problems they had would be dealt with by dealers and not broadcast to the nation.

For all you know reliablity could have increased in the last generation it's just that with the internet you now have access to a far greater number of people and their experiences than you did 20 or 30 years ago.

Some folk need to engage their brain before posting.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Jota180 said:
Your evidence of an alleged increase in problems with HIFI gear is a handful of posts on a forum which you then use to cynically slight manufacturers? "so-called great manufacturers"?

Where is your empirical evidence that HIFI separates were more reliable 20 or 30 years ago? The real difference back then was no WWW for people up and down the country and abroad to post their thoughts so any problems they had would be dealt with by dealers and not broadcast to the nation.

For all you know reliablity could have increased in the last generation it's just that with the internet you now have access to a far greater number of people and their experiences than you did 20 or 30 years ago.

Some folk need to engage their brain before posting.

5 posts hey? Would you walk into a room full of strangers and come out with comments like that? You'd probably get a well deserved smack in the mouth if you did. But then you're anonymous at home aren't you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts