What is happening with some makers?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
pauln said:
Jota180 said:
Your evidence of an alleged increase in problems with HIFI gear is a handful of posts on a forum which you then use to cynically slight manufacturers? "so-called great manufacturers"?

Where is your empirical evidence that HIFI separates were more reliable 20 or 30 years ago? The real difference back then was no WWW for people up and down the country and abroad to post their thoughts so any problems they had would be dealt with by dealers and not broadcast to the nation.

For all you know reliablity could have increased in the last generation it's just that with the internet you now have access to a far greater number of people and their experiences than you did 20 or 30 years ago.

Some folk need to engage their brain before posting.

5 posts hey? Would you walk into a room full of strangers and come out with comments like that? You'd probably get a well deserved smack in the mouth if you did. But then you're anonymous at home aren't you.

What makes you think 384 posts gives you the right to talk to people like that, hmm?

Jota180 at least had a point, it just didn't need the last line of his post. Other than that it's a perfectly valid observation.

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
respe said:
You can buy british, even if components are sourced from elsewhere, if the design and build is here, its british. To my mind, Rega, Naim, Jaguar are british, quad, wharfedale, ford, not really.

Ford were never British. Vauxhall were and, despite the American ownership, it could be said they are still more British than many car manufacturers given the amount of manufacturing they still do here.

So would you class Cambridge Audio as British then? All R&D and design is done in the UK....

No I would not. Ford may not have been british, but they where built here.

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
pauln said:
Jota180 said:
Your evidence of an alleged increase in problems with HIFI gear is a handful of posts on a forum which you then use to cynically slight manufacturers? "so-called great manufacturers"?

Where is your empirical evidence that HIFI separates were more reliable 20 or 30 years ago? The real difference back then was no WWW for people up and down the country and abroad to post their thoughts so any problems they had would be dealt with by dealers and not broadcast to the nation.

For all you know reliablity could have increased in the last generation it's just that with the internet you now have access to a far greater number of people and their experiences than you did 20 or 30 years ago.

Some folk need to engage their brain before posting.

5 posts hey? Would you walk into a room full of strangers and come out with comments like that? You'd probably get a well deserved smack in the mouth if you did. But then you're anonymous at home aren't you.

Its a public forum, first post, or 5000th is imaterial. If you have a view, make it known. People can judge how to take your posts over time.

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Bristol. Mini. MG. Morgan.. Really?

Bristol stopped producing new cars in 2011 but are supposedly currently developping a new model and are still involved in restoration.

Minis (apart from Countrymans, which are built in Austria, India, Malaysia and Thailand) are built in Cowley, Oxfordshire.

MG is currently building MG 3s and MG 6s in Birmingham (out of kits sent from China by SAIC)

Morgan is doing VERY well these days, out of Malvern.

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
paul darwin said:
We pride ourselves on the quality of our dealers and the levels of support that they, and we as a manufacturer, offer and provide as a matter of course, and would therefore seek the opportunity to show that on the odd occasion that problems may occur.

Hello Paul,

I really appreciated your detailed and insightful correspondance on Steve's thread previously...

I would love it if you could if possible give an insight into how you choose your dealers/distributors internationally. Is there a minimum criteria that they should meet to sell Rega products?

The reason I ask is, I have found a lot of dealers of other HiFi companies (Of course this doesn't constitute all or the majority at all) who don't really have much knowledge of what they're selling, the company, in some cases even the basic operation of the equipment...

Now I can understand getting more International distributors as to enabling accessibility of your products internationally, they become the first point of contact between the customer and the company, if they are not well trained or are not so service oriented, it makes it difficult for the customer to buy products of that company, because even if the company is service oriented, the distributor is not! In which case the reputation of the company ends up suffering. I had a terrible experience a few months ago, and I realized that the company I was dealing with through my dealer didn't communicate with the distributor at all.

I'm sure this must be a matter you take seriously... I would just love to know if you'd like to share, what your views are on this topic?

Thanks

Hone

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
BigH said:
ifor said:
RobinKidderminster said:
What does 'buy british' mean today? In all but a very few product areas most products source components from all over the world. My argument & examples could go on for pages but unfortunately the concept is largely dead. Dyson. Honda. Wharfdale. Aldi. .......????

http://www.buybritish.com/

But that only has 1 hifi manufacturer listed, 1 have never heard of before, so I will check out. Unfortunately many have gone abroad because of the costs here. To be honest I think that site is pretty poor at promoting British products.

Rega was there, as was Spendor and others. Graham Slee was, but doesn't appear to be now.

paul darwin

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi Hone_u2,

Our policy with regards the appoitment of International Distributors is especially thorough.

After initial approach we would convene a meet where all aspects of the potential distributors business would be thoroughly analysed. We would expect a detailed and structured business plan including proposed dealers, products, promotional materials and planning, in territory training etc etc.

We would never appoint an International Distribuor unless they and their team had visited Rega Research for them to see the company, meet the people at every level and absolutely understand and support the companies ethos, direction and culture. We would also ensure that they are all trained in every aspect of Rega from a product, servicing and support level. This would be repeated every year or so and for every new member of their personnel.

We consider our distributors as key partners in all that we do, the majority of them have been with us for upto 40 years and without being soppy or sentimental are very much part of the Rega family.

I hope that this goes some way to answer what was a complex question !!

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
paul darwin said:
Hi Hone_u2,

Our policy with regards the appoitment of International Distributors is especially thorough.

After initial approach we would convene a meet where all aspects of the potential distributors business would be thoroughly analysed. We would expect a detailed and structured business plan including proposed dealers, products, promotional materials and planning, in territory training etc etc.

We would never appoint an International Distribuor unless they and their team had visited Rega Research for them to see the company, meet the people at every level and absolutely understand and support the companies ethos, direction and culture. We would also ensure that they are all trained in every aspect of Rega from a product, servicing and support level. This would be repeated every year or so and for every new member of their personnel.

We consider our distributors as key partners in all that we do, the majority of them have been with us for upto 40 years and without being soppy or sentimental are very much part of the Rega family.

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

Excellent Paul !! I love all my Rega products and of all the UK dealers I have dealt with have lots of praise for Rega and are enthisiatic about the product line from an RP1 up to am Elicit R in my experience.

For the record I have no beef with Rega or the after sales service, I could not of expected anything more in my case and Paul has communicated with me in an exemplary manner.

Right Im off the play some music on my Rega set-up!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Just for the record Paul, is Rega ever going to have a Streamer...? ;)

I'm on the market for one and LOVE to have a rega streamer!!! :dance:

Or a upgrade from Rega DAC, in the same league as the Saturn line but without the CD player...? :?

Hi Paul,

Did you saw this post...? ;)

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
paul darwin said:
Hi Hone_u2,

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

I can confirm this policy "impose" by Rega, the Portuguese dealer represent Rega since the early days of the brand, and have been in Rega HQ many times, he represents other brands in Portugal but Rega has a especial place in his heart! :grin:

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
drummerman said:
I feel sorry for any manufacturer that has the courage to appear on here ... :grin:

regards

I must admit respect to Paul in doing so - if ti was my company I would be gutted about it and try to find root cause and sort the problems before customers get them!

I dont want to be critical, but all manufacturers face complaints, hell Ive just taken a job with Nestle - they are no stranger to complaint but by god they have 12% of the market ans that is no easy feat.

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
stevebrock said:
I must admit respect to Paul in doing so - if ti was my company I would be gutted about it and try to find root cause and sort the problems before customers get them!

I think that's Paul's problem - the first he's hearing about the problems are on the internet being broadcast to potential customers. He's defensive (overly so it seems) but at least he cares and jumps to defend his employer/colleagues.

Personally nothing I've seen here has put me off Rega. There's enough happy customers out there to tell me that these problems aren't commonplace and it's reassuring to know that - if something did go wrong with a purchase - I'm dealing with a company that's an hour away.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
MakkaPakka said:
stevebrock said:

I think that's Paul's problem - the first he's hearing about the problems are on the internet being broadcast to potential customers. He's defensive (overly so it seems) but at least he cares and jumps to defend his employer/colleagues.

Personally nothing I've seen here has put me off Rega. There's enough happy customers out there to tell me that these problems aren't commonplace and it's reassuring to know that - if something did go wrong with a purchase - I'm dealing with a company that's an hour away.

But for many it's half world away, the most important this is having a good network of dealers with Rega know how to resolve problems like Paul have high light!

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Well, I won't pretend to understand fully all the issues raised here, but I must say I'm very impressed that a 'rep' from Rega takes the time to post on here and tries to put his/Rega's side. I might even change my considerations when I set up my new Hi-Fi ;)

Can we get a Denon rep on here? My CDP went kaput after little over a year of ownership....

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Well, I won't pretend to understand fully all the issues raised here, but I must say I'm very impressed that a 'rep' from Rega takes the time to post on here and tries to put his/Rega's side. I might even change my considerations when I set up my new Hi-Fi ;)

Can we get a Denon rep on here? My CDP went kaput after little over a year of ownership....

Good luck with that. But if you are in the UK you have upto 6 years to claim for faulty products but you will have togo through the retailer as thats who your contract is with. So contact your dealer and see what he says.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BigH said:
Freddy58 said:

Good luck with that. But if you are in the UK you have upto 6 years to claim for faulty products but you will have togo through the retailer as thats who your contract is with. So contact your dealer and see what he says.

I'm sorry, it was a rhetorical question, as I had that unit some 20 years ago. My point was that I can't imagine someone from Denon taking the time to come on here on put their position, and that all manufacturers produce duff units.

jjbomber

Great post. Where else can we find out about manufacturer reliability? Have WhatApple ever done any surveys on reliability? No, they are concerrned with magazine sales and pushing new products. The only 'guide' we have is second hand values, where reliable brands hold their value better than unreliable ones. I am all for forums posting about problems, as long as it is balanced by reports of good service. For example, Naim had huge problems with their displays on the n-Vi and it seems every one has been replaced by a new, better and more reliable display. This was all done free of charge, Good for Naim. They currently have a problem with the unitiLite playing cd-rs, which they refuse to do anything about. bad for Naim. Either way, we the general public need to know.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts