What is happening with some makers?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
paul darwin said:
At risk of sticking me head above an unwelcoming parapet, it seems that people are very quick to post their opinions and "problems" on line prior to giving a dealer and or a manufacturer the opportunity to investigate aforementioned "problems"

For example, the Elicit R problems that Steve claimed, we have been unable to replicate in at least two of the units, we have not even had the opportunity to comment privately about the Saturn R, let alone address the "problems"

It seems at every turn there are people who are very happy to criticise and the www gives them the platform to vent their spleen however inaccurate or biased that may be. I would absolutely defend peoples rights to comment about their experiences but with this freedom comes a responsibility that increasingly appears to being ignored with a preference for the Warholian 15 minutes of fame that the world wide web and various forums grants.

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

I like "Warholian", real class.

Chris

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Whilst Paul may have a point in general about the public and the www, my observations of the Elicit saga is that Steve was restrained and behaved impeccably and without sensationalism.

Why should he not report his “issue” with his amps on the forum where he reported the prelude to purchasing it with equal measure.

No wonder Steve you can’t believe what you are reading. I think Paul’s dropped a clanger.

paul darwin said:
Not aimed at you in any way, however if you believe the cap fits then so be it.

I still stand by the premise that in the first instance the dealer or manufacturer should be given an opprtunity to investigate any alleged "fault" before it is discussed on a forum such as this and / or others.

Without appearing paranoid, many large companies (of which we, of course, are not) now have to employ teams of people to defend their brands and reputation against unwarrented online and cyber attacks on them and their integrity. It is very easy, too easy arguably, for people to post opinions and views online that have no truth or veracity which can damage a company and their reputaion.

On another note it is sad to see Leema cease trading after such a relatively short period, perhaps this shows the challenging times ahead for UK manufacturers who face a potentially difficult and uncertain future whilst technology changes so rapidly.

The huge costs of research and development, licensing etc just to enable us just to keep pace and to design, build and launch the world class products we are collectively famous for is a challenge for us all, especially those of us who design, source (as far as we can) and hand build in the UK, as we do.

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

I'm well aware of Rega's reputation. Like many on here I've been buying hi-fis since the late 70s and can remember hearing early turntables (circa 81/82). I have in no agenda, as I try and support British brands, and appreciate what the "Rega brand" means to your followers. With that in mind, it's even more surprising these foibles have crept into your products over (very) recent times. If it was a one-off, that is acceptable - electro/mechanical stuff can and do go wrong on occasions. But 4 times with one client and one product? and these are the ones we know about.

matthewpiano

MakkaPakka said:
altruistic.lemon said:
Yup, leema's gone, did a google, lots of info.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/60766/notices/1985002/single-issue

Not gone but potentially going - 450k in the red.

If you look at the company records of even the reasonably well known companies you realise they're absoutely tiny.

With this in mind I'm not sure it is entirely helpful for there to be too much talk of Leema's 'end'. A quick look at the Companies House website has shown that they have changed their registered address to a business park in Stoke-On-Trent. This suggests there are at least some hopes to save the brand, supported by a total lack of any administration notice on their website.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
MakkaPakka said:
altruistic.lemon said:
Yup, leema's gone, did a google, lots of info.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/60766/notices/1985002/single-issue

Not gone but potentially going - 450k in the red.

If you look at the company records of even the reasonably well known companies you realise they're absoutely tiny.

Maybe time for a Chinese buy-out?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BigH said:
But it works both ways, products get praised when users like them but also when they don't they get knocked. OK I can agree that more come on to complain about when something goes wrong than praise when it goes right but thats the way of the world at the moment. At least it gives you an avenue of response and to be able to sort any problems out.

I can see this from both sides.

The internet can be used as a useful tool to pressure a manufacturer into doing the right thing / and inform others of potential problems, or unfairly as a blunt instrument to hammer a brand on a public forum ,before the issue has had a chance to be resolved less publicly.

IMO. Rega did themselves more good than harm in the fair way they dealt with Steve's problem, and generally get a good press on forums....so overall are more in the black, than in the red.

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
With this in mind I'm not sure it is entirely helpful for there to be too much talk of Leema's 'end'. A quick look at the Companies House website has shown that they have changed their registered address to a business park in Stoke-On-Trent. This suggests there are at least some hopes to save the brand, supported by a total lack of any administration notice on their website.

Yes, it's just a 'meeting of creditors' which, whilst not a good sign, doesn't necessarily mean serious problems.

I really know nothing of Leema but hope that all the British brands (particularly the ones that are actually British) thrive and survive.

Balderdash

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Paul,

Forums are a stage for like minded people to share opinion. The Penguin has started a new topic for discussion. He has at no time done anything other than comment on his own experiences. Rega products are well reviewed in this publication and have a strong following in the forums. I suspect Rega have secured a number of sales through recommendation on this forum alone.

Regards.

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
I've bought a number of different components over the past 7/8 years since I started appreciating all things AV, and I am happy to say that everything thus far has been excellent. With the exception of my previous VT50 series plasma (which suffered from excessive horizontal banding) of course. I still don't hold any ill will towards the brand, as I understand anything can have problems, be it a tv, a hifi, a car, even a home.

It would be interesting to know if fault rates realistically are actually much higher than what they were 20 years ago, or is it more the fact that thanks to the internet, we are better connected and thus word of mouth travels faster and further than ever before.

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
MakkaPakka said:
matthewpiano said:

Yes, it's just a 'meeting of creditors' which, whilst not a good sign, doesn't necessarily mean serious problems.

I really know nothing of Leema but hope that all the British brands (particularly the ones that are actually British) thrive and survive.

the meeting of the creditors is a formality where all the people who are owed money are usually told there is none , although for the most part the creditors never bother to turn up. These days insolvency is often used to escape onerous contracts , leases, debts, and employee liabilities as part of a company restructure so we may see leema re emerge at some time.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
MakkaPakka said:
matthewpiano said:

Yes, it's just a 'meeting of creditors'

At which they're discussing the liquidator's remuneration and disbursements! Sounds pretty bad to me.

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
MakkaPakka said:
matthewpiano said:

At which they're discussing the liquidator's remuneration and disbursements! Sounds pretty bad to me.

it is bad

P00dl3

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
In the consumer space in general, increased demands on incomes as well as increases in the standard of living we expect means the amount we are prepared to spend on items in real terms is lower. This means they have to be cheaper, some of this is met by economies of scale, some by accelerated development process, a cheaper part, a cheaper workforce, better technology, better processes etc. Some of these might mean the product is somehow of lesser quality than you had encountered before, but you would probably need to be selective as to which examples you chose to prove your point. Would you trade your 2014 car that will happily do 120k+ miles for a brand new example from the 80's, I doubt it. Others look back at that massive hulk of a CRT TV they used to own and reminisce as to the fact it lasted 20years, conveniently forgetting that a good TV was a very expensive item built using boring and stable technology. It was so expensive you rented it, todays TV can cost less than a weekend away, and the manufacturer doesn't want it to last 20 years because they didn't make very much money selling it to you in the first place.

But this is a HiFi forum, specifically one populated by people who spend staggering sums of money on what they quite reasonably expect to be quality merchandise. But there is a problem, even HiFi has to move forwards, there are new techologies to implement and expections to meet that can no longer simply be met by electronic wizardy. This is where software steps in, it provides the logic that would otherwise require huge and complicated circuits, it runs your displays, decodes your audio streams, tunes your phase lock loops and runs to 100's or even millions of lines. There is no such thing as a piece of software of any size that is 100% bug free, you can test for every conceivable user or system interaction but there will always be things that are missed or not thought o fand so will not be found in testing. Sometimes these bugs, won't be bugs at all, instead they are features or approaches that do not agree with how the user wishes to use the product. This is why you will find a continuous evolution of these softwares and why many modern products are capable of being updated in the field or even automatically. There is far less room for any excuses for failures at a hardware level, when systems cost as much as many of these do there is no need or reason to cut corners on the quality of parts, they are not the significant cost, R&D, QA and labour are.

I would argue that all discussions in open forums are good and healthy, small software bugs and glitches can go unnoticed or unreported for years. If the software engineer doesn't know they are there, they cannot get fixed. If someone pops on a forum and says "This is a bit odd... does anyone else find xxx?" , that can mean the difference between a fault being identified and fixed versus the issue being ignored as a one off glitch. It is always worth remembering that the internet means we have far greater access to reports of these issues and people can tend to report the bad more often than the good. I don't think thats the case here, you are far more likely to see positive comments than negative ones, if as a product manufacturer you start seeing more of the bad, a proactive approach to solving the public examples cannot be anything other than good publicity. A combative one can only be bad, you won't find many customers who accept they are wrong, least of all ones who are concerned about their expensive kit. It is also worth remembering that increased sales will mean increased faulty units, googling would suggest Rega has done quite well of late....

A company can indeed use bankruptcy as a means to escape debts, just as we can with an IVA. It would be wrong to conisder this some kind of get out of jail free card. Employees, and suppliers will have gotten hurt, those bridges may be burnt, a whole new relationship will need to be built for anything new to come into being. I guess we have to wait and see...

A

Anonymous

paul darwin said:
At risk of sticking me head above an unwelcoming parapet, it seems that people are very quick to post their opinions and "problems" on line prior to giving a dealer and or a manufacturer the opportunity to investigate aforementioned "problems"

For example, the Elicit R problems that Steve claimed, we have been unable to replicate in at least two of the units, we have not even had the opportunity to comment privately about the Saturn R, let alone address the "problems"

It seems at every turn there are people who are very happy to criticise and the www gives them the platform to vent their spleen however inaccurate or biased that may be. I would absolutely defend peoples rights to comment about their experiences but with this freedom comes a responsibility that increasingly appears to being ignored with a preference for the Warholian 15 minutes of fame that the world wide web and various forums grants.

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

Well said. Don't dare to cross the posters mind, they just gang up and troll you. Keyboard warriors.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
20/30 years ago there was not the amount of problems with hifi there is today, thats the way I remember it, I was in the trade. Things seemed to ware out rather than break as soon as they leave the factory? The www obviously has a big part to play, there have always been underprivileged and starving people, we are more aware because of the web. Modern cars seem to break down very quickly, usually electrical and very expensive!!!

We demand cheap, we get what we demand . . . ? Returning to hifi 3 years back, I went for an amplifier which was twice the price of what I wanted to pay. It served me very well, it was hand built, hard wired point to point in the UK by the man who lends his name to the brand. He rarely if ever gets returns, his dealers love the product, no frustrations, happy customers a top well respected name, small fish in a big pond and thats the way he likes it.

But I had to pay . . . CJSF

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately Rega comes across as uneccesarily agressive and defensive from your post.

Yes, there are some people who join up to forums with an axe to grind without having even gone through the normal processes of trying to resolve their issue through the appropriate channels, but others such as Steve and plastic penguin are long time posters who are just letting people know their experiences, and on the balance of things have probably provided more good marketing for the various brands they own than negative.

As is often the case when brands/their spokespersons leap onto a forum to defend themselves, they often do themselves a disservice through a knee-jerk reaction to a single thread.

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
kmlav said:
BenLaw said:
MakkaPakka said:
matthewpiano said:

it is bad

You're all taking a big dump on my attempt to be positive :help:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have been buying hi-fi since 1981 when I left sixth form college and got my first full-time job.

In that whole time I have only had one 'bleeding' LCD display (Naim CD5i) and one dead tweeter (first set of Rega R3s). Both problems were fixed swiftly by dealer and manufacturer under their respective guarantees (5 years and 3 years) at no cost to me.

The vast majority of the kit in those 3 decades was sold on (or given to) various customers / colleagues / friends / family and (as far as I know) continued to give trouble free service afterwards. (Some of it I know to still be in use even now.)

As for Rega in particular, I have enjoyed three of their turntables at different times between 1983 - 2009, an amplifier and matching tuner for almost 11 years between 1996 and 2007 (Rega Brio + Rega Radio) and two sets of their R3 loudspeakers between 2008 and now.

Apart from the previously mentioned tweeter (sorted out with no subsequent re-occurrance), my Rega experiences have all been trouble-free and most enjoyable.

If Rega ever make their own version of something like the NaimUniti then I might even be their customer yet again. (But I have given up on seperates and turntables so i'll just have to wish them well for now.)

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I would have to say, I mostly agree with Paul @ Rega.

People (in general) post on forums without much thought for the effect it might have.

What anyone posts, is then publicly searchable. So if I had an ongoing issue with a component, and posted in the middle of it being sorted out by the manufacturer, I would have a different opinion compared to the result (could be positive or negative).

The very few times I have had a faulty item, the last thing I would have done is go on a public forum and talk about it, especially so if it was in the process of being resolved with a dealer/manufacturer.

Online forums and 'personal reviews' tend to lean towards either people who are very enthusiastic about a product, or very negative. You never really see many posts of the people in between who are happy but dont feel the need to post, I.E. the vast majority of customers.

In response to the OP, I dont think at all that products are not as reliable, its just we know more about the ones that are. So in the past, before the wide use of online forums, your experience and knowlege of products was mainly down to your local dealer, friends/clubs or magazines, so a very small (relatively) cross section of the buying public.

So when you have a very isolated issue with a product, it becomes available to a wide audience, weather good or bad.

Hifi is SO reliable these days, I can have a Tripath based amp that consumes barely any power and gives of no heat, left on 24/7 and left in a cupboard, a cheap Blu-ray source for £50 that plays any format I would wish to play, even streaming.

And on a personal note, I wont hide my admiration for Rega as a company, always had first class service with them and one of the few companies that have a ethos and stick to it. I very much adore their speakers having had a fair number of them now!

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:
I would have to say, I mostly agree with Paul @ Rega.

People (in general) post on forums without much thought for the effect it might have.

What anyone posts, is then publicly searchable. So if I had an ongoing issue with a component, and posted in the middle of it being sorted out by the manufacturer, I would have a different opinion compared to the result (could be positive or negative).

The very few times I have had a faulty item, the last thing I would have done is go on a public forum and talk about it, especially so if it was in the process of being resolved with a dealer/manufacturer.

Online forums and 'personal reviews' tend to lean towards either people who are very enthusiastic about a product, or very negative. You never really see many posts of the people in between who are happy but dont feel the need to post, I.E. the vast majority of customers.

In response to the OP, I dont think at all that products are not as reliable, its just we know more about the ones that are. So in the past, before the wide use of online forums, your experience and knowlege of products was mainly down to your local dealer, friends/clubs or magazines, so a very small (relatively) cross section of the buying public.

So when you have a very isolated issue with a product, it becomes available to a wide audience, weather good or bad.

Hifi is SO reliable these days, I can have a Tripath based amp that consumes barely any power and gives of no heat, left on 24/7 and left in a cupboard, a cheap Blu-ray source for £50 that plays any format I would wish to play, even streaming.

And on a personal note, I wont hide my admiration for Rega as a company, always had first class service with them and one of the few companies that have a ethos and stick to it. I very much adore their speakers having had a fair number of them now!

Well said hoops.

I feel sad as I read this thread. With the exception of companies the likes of Rega and tiddly little concerns the likes of me, there is very little made completely in this country anymore. All been shovelled off to China which I believe will come back to bite us in the bum in the next 5 years. One of my customers actually believed that Wharfedale was a british company and still made here. Hey Ho.

The problem will come when the Chinese standard of living will start to approach our own. Manufacturers will have to look elsewhere for production but won't return home for 2 reasons. 1). Can't make enough profit and 2), No infrastructure. The capital investment would be enormous.

Of course, if these groups had used their brains in the first place the infrastructure would have been preserved but there were inordinate pressures placed on these companies.....By us in our quest to get more for less. It's not that we've been callous in any way but what we've caused by striving for a bargain has become apparent.

With the exception of a small group of us, where does the industry go from here???. B***ered if I know. :cry:

An engineering friend of mine said to me "Richard. Businesses will come and go. Fact of life but when the skills are gone, that's it. end of."

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
You could extend that concern to a lot of industries - most notably food. Quite why people buy, for example, Lurpak, when we have a struggling dairy industry, I don't know.

There are some of us who try and buy British-made where possible. My two most costly possessions - my cooker and my amplifier - were both made in Britain. I get pride of ownership knowing they're made here but a lot of people don't care about things like that.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I have to say that I don't care! If British companies can't make competitive products at competitive prices then they deserve to go to the wall. It's nothing to do with being patriotic though. We live in a competitve world and as a country we have to build businesses that can survive in it.

Chris

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I think the fact that these things now get discussed in public can probably contribute to a perception that there are more quality assurance/fault issues than there used to be. Humans aren't very good at grasping the bigger picture and tend to be heavily influenced by their own experiences and the experiences of those immediately around them. And, in the internet age, that includes any online communities such as forums, but I don't think they give anything like an accurate representation of the actual statistics. Which can be very unfair on manufacturers.

Mentally I try to implement a scoring system like in the Olympics where the very top scores and bottom scores are discarded to eliminate the possibility of bias. I tend to take negative and positive reviews/views/comments of acertain kind with a grain of salt, but it isn't easy to read between the lines and work out any potential ulterior motives (concious or subconscious).

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
Modern cars seem to break down very quickly, usually electrical and very expensive!!!

Sorry but this is cobblers, I'm 40, I remember the amount of problems my dad had with his cars (brand new company cars replaced every 18 months) when I was growing up, no end of problems (including watching our luggage bouncing down the road in the Dartford tunnel after the boot on our Triumph 2000 flew open as it was always doing).

Compared to that I've had one brand new car, 57 plate Astra, the heater didn't work when I got it but that was replaced, free of charge of course, in about an hour, other than that it gave me no problems. I've since owned 2 1 year old Saab 9-3s, one of them failed with an expensive electrical issue but not until I'd put 175,000 miles on it in 3 years, which I don't think is a bad exchange. Other than that no issues.

I do get pissed off with misty eyed "enthusiasts" who insist old cars were far more reliable. They aren't. I left the Practical Classics forum after one idiot tried to claim, in all seriousness, that that winter (which hadn't been particularly cold) his old banger was the only car on his street that would start without a jumpstart and that every "modern" owner had had to call the AA out to get them going. I like old cars but that kind of pathetic hyperbole is just ridiculous.

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Covenanter said:
I have to say that I don't care! If British companies can't make competitive products at competitive prices then they deserve to go to the wall. It's nothing to do with being patriotic though. We live in a competitve world and as a country we have to build businesses that can survive in it.

Chris

If your employer told you they'd found someone in China who could do your job for 50% of the salary would you and your family deserve to go to the wall or would you just decide to be competitive and take a salary cut of half?

I'm not interested in supporting British companies as such but I see the importance of British jobs. If we sit back and shrug our shoulders then there will be no jobs left and no one to pay into the pot.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts