What Hifi supertest of musically optimised Bluray machines

hifianorak

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Here's an idea for a What Hifi supertest of musically optimised Bluray machines:-

Arcam BDP 100

Cambridge Audio 751

Oppo 95

Would like to see What Hifi commeting on two channel CD performance and HD audio sound.

One test shoot out I would like to see. So how about it What Hifi?

Regards

Hifi Anorak

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
hifianorak said:
Here's an idea for a What Hifi supertest of musically optimised Bluray machines:-

Arcam BDP 100

Cambridge Audio 751

Oppo 95

Would like to see What Hifi commeting on two channel CD performance and HD audio sound.

One test shoot out I would like to see. So how about it What Hifi?

Regards

Hifi Anorak

Got my vote also.

daveloc

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
I'd also be interested to see universal players tested against some equivalent-total-priced two-box video and audio solutions, e.g., one to play BD/DVD via HDMI and one to play (SA)CD via analogue.

I've had enough bad demo experiences (and seen enough equivalent reviews and posts) of firmware problems with "multi-format" products from mid-market companies in the past few years, to suspect combining a couple of simpler dedicated players from the multinationals may well be better value for money?

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
We'll see what we can do! Still waiting for the new CA to arrive. There has, i believe, been some Oppo activity though :)

Popped in to RS this morning, they tell me orders are being taken for the new BDP 751 (£799.00 whew!) and release is due in a couple of weeks

So................we wait with bated breath

hifianorak

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Clare - I'll hold you to that then!!

I accept that the Arcam won't be able to hold it's own in terms of features (no 3D presently, SACD/DVD A, 2nd HDMI output) but in terms of pure outright performance, I still hold it as a valid contender personally - that is once the various bugs have hopefully been rectified.

The test would be really useful as demoing both the Oppo (online purchase generally) and Cambridge Audio (only at Richer Sounds and not ideal demo facilities) is not exactly straightforward and you can't A-B demo against each other.

Thanks FayeandDavid for the CA update!

Kind regards

Rod

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
hifianorak said:
...I still hold it as a valid contender personally - that is once the various bugs have hopefully been rectified.

They'll have an all new machine out before they've done that- with it's own long list of bugs to fix!

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
daveloc said:
I'd also be interested to see universal players tested against some equivalent-total-priced two-box video and audio solutions, e.g., one to play BD/DVD via HDMI and one to play (SA)CD via analogue.

I've had enough bad demo experiences (and seen enough equivalent reviews and posts) of firmware problems with "multi-format" products from mid-market companies in the past few years, to suspect combining a couple of simpler dedicated players from the multinationals may well be better value for money?
You may be right about two boxes, but I have had no problems with my Oppo 83 so far, firmware or otherwise.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking forward to A/B-ing a 650 against a 751 at the local Richer which has a demo room. Very interested to see what the extra cash will give, and also if relevant if music is already played out through a dedicated stereo set-up. With my existing setup, the 751 would have to have a significantly better CD transport to be any improvement (sound-wise), as the DAC side of things is taken care of by the Cyrus pre-amp?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts