What HI FI How to....Projector

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
Just watched the video and enjoyed it [:p]

But Keystone was advised to be used if the picture wasn't straight etc!!!??? Are you mad? This distorts and lowers the resloution being displayed especially HD, decreasing individual pixels on the image!!!

tut tut [^o)]

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Full-time projector user reporting in
emotion-2.gif

Lens shift can deal with basic up/down left/right positioning, but not cope with common domestic situations where you have to put a projector in a less than optimal position (on a coffee table, say, or, conversely mounted higher than your screen).

Yes, keystone correction is a compromise, but it's only a last-minute tweak to get your picture right where you need it; site your projector in the perfect place and you'll hardly need it (if at all).
emotion-21.gif

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Have to agree with Clare. Taking into account that guide is for both PJ owners, prospective PJ owners and the curious alike it makes sense to cover keystone as a way of accomodating a PJ into you're living space. Lens shift is important and was perhaps worth mentioning but basics were there. Drilling home calibration was appreciated with variable amounts of light in viewing rooms it has to be high priority.

Thanks for looking at projectors, often missed in this world of LCD,Led and 3D. Heres hoping a reasonably priced 3D option will arrive soon, or even a 1080p version of my current projector .. even a Panasonic PT-AX300 if it exists!

Regards,

Cookie Monster

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
Full-time projector user reporting in
emotion-2.gif

Lens shift can deal with basic up/down left/right positioning, but not cope with common domestic situations where you have to put a projector in a less than optimal position (on a coffee table, say, or, conversely mounted higher than your screen).

Yes, keystone correction is a compromise, but it's only a last-minute tweak to get your picture right where you need it; site your projector in the perfect place and you'll hardly need it (if at all).
emotion-21.gif

I understand, but I took ages to set-up my projector properly so that I didn't have to use the keystone feature, which was worth the effort so that I didn't have to compromise on the picture. My Lens shift on my projector is pretty good, I used mine on a table first of all with the lens shift in tow which was OK, then I mounted it for optimum effect

I just think that looking into a projector with a Lens Shift should of been mentioned and that if you were to use a Keystone the picture would be compromised especially HD. So if it had to be used, it should be because you have no choice and are restricted in setting up the projector

Come on Claire being a Projector user, you know using keystone is a big no no, especially if you have just spent hundreds or a couple of thousands on one!!! And your not getting the best from it
emotion-2.gif

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I believe that lens shift can cope with a projector being lower or higher than the screen, or at least it certainly does in my setup. Obviously you have to check the limits and how much lower or higher you're wanting to move the image but the range seems pretty big on mine, (I think up to about twice the image size).

In setting up my projector I tried to get it pretty much level on the stand, and pointing forward, though used no proper callibration for that than a visual check, and the image is fine. In fact my projector doesn't even have keystone correction.

If it needed to go in a corner, again it would face parrallel to the wall, and I'd just shift the image. I think keystone is more for if you have to tilt the projector to get the image where you want it because you have no lens shift.

As Garth Man writes, it's a good guide, but it makes it sound like using keystone is standard practice whereas it's to be avoided, and I think there should be something in there about the option of getting a projector with lens shift.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts