Adding hi-fi to home cinema

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Just watched the 'adding hi-fi to home cinema' video - interesting, especially as I am musing on how to get better two-channel replay in my lounge where my home cinema set-up currently lives. I have a Sony STR-DA2400ES AV receiver driving a 5.1 Quad L-ite but have swapped the fronts out for my Quad 11L2s precisely with stereo replay in mind. I am now thinking of replacing my c1992 Marantz CD52MkII (a once-upon-a-time What Hi-fi Product of the Year!) with a Marantz SA-KI Pearl Lite (now under £700 and I find the SACD possibilities - I listen to a lot of classical, which is the one genre it seems where new SACDs are regularly being issued - as well as the iPod connection and other digital imputs particularly appealing). The question is - how to make sure its abilities are not totally wasted?

The video shows how to incorporate a stereo integrated amplifier, but I was wondering whether connecting a two-channel power amplifier to the Sony's front left-right pre-outs would be a better idea (and using the Sony's pre-amp stage when listening in stereo) and if so, what models I should be looking at.

Secondly, given that an amplifier purchase would have to wait, should I in the mean-time use the extra two channels of amplification (the Sony is 7.1-capable) to bi-amp my front speakers?

Any thoughts?

Messiah

Personally I would get the Amp first and not the CD player. Going for this option would also remove the need for the power amp.

I think this would offer the greater increase in performance.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
You could attach a power amp to the Sony but the Pre-amp in the Sony will be the weak link in the chain. Integrated would be with an AV bypass would sound better.

A

Anonymous

Hi guys,

I think stereo power amp is better as it is what "pre-output" was meant to be used for.

When an integrated amp is connected, there will be 2 volume controls, while different amplification between them will result unbalanced 5.1 channel at certain volume, unless if we know how to set volume exactly at the point during callibration setup, and surely it would be quite loud.

However, I find it difficult to find budget power amp or maybe not available. They usually produced by expensive hifi brands.

Or maybe need to setup hifi system separately.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Using the method in the video i wonder if you can still Bi-amp and Bi-wire the fronts. has anyone had experience of this?

It does sound like its a headache to keep switching back and forth.

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the thoughts so far.

I can see that an integrated amplifier would mean being able to by-pass the AV amp totally when listening in stereo, which should mean superior sound.

On the other hand it would mean passing the signal through two pre-amp stages/ volume controls when listening in 5.1, which must be detrimental. And of course the bother of having to try and set the volume control on the 2-channel amp to the exact same position, etc.

Which is why I was considering a two-channel power amp fed from the pre-outs.

I am not sure what options there are though - prices seem to start at around £650 for the Roksan Kandy K2 and models from companies like Rotel.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
James7 said:
On the other hand it would mean passing the signal through two pre-amp stages/ volume controls when listening in 5.1, which must be detrimental. And of course the bother of having to try and set the volume control on the 2-channel amp to the exact same position, etc.

When I use my system for AV my Onk 875 front pre-outs feed my Caspian integrated which in turn feeds my Caspian power amp and I can assure you this is not detrimental to the sound. We have the integrated set at 10 o'clock with a pencil mark on the dial and front cover and my wife and son have never had a problem with this.

A

Anonymous

James7 said:
I am not sure what options there are though - prices seem to start at around £650 for the Roksan Kandy K2 and models from companies like Rotel.
Several Marantz stereo models (7003, 6004, maybe more) have a Power-Amp input. These amps are well below the 650-pound mark, and give you the best of both worlds: an integrated amp for stereo listening, and a power-stage only for HT.

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I will look into those. I guess an integrated with a power-amp input would be the best of both worlds as you say.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts