What Hi-Fi help!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am in need of some advice concerning which hi-fi system i should get. Basically i have around 400 pounds to spend and i was interested in the marantz cr502 (with the LS502 speakers - cheaper that way). Then i found out that the cr603 came out which is 150 pounds more expensive but it has some nice new features, including the wireless network capability which is something i am really interested in.Unfortunately the cr603 is too expensive and now the cr502 is a less attractive option since i prefer the newer model and i have been patiently waiting for its price to drop, but its not happening! So i was wondering if you have any other recommendations. I have been researching this for a few months but i would gladly listen to any advice you might have.

In general i am interested in a system with 2 speakers, relatively good looking and USB connectivity is a must. Wireless/wired network capability would be nice as well but as long as it is reliable.

Thanks!

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
The impression that I get is that wireless connectivity is something that, as you say, you're "interested" in, rather than something that you actually"need" (I could be wrong!). Are you perhaps just looking a little bit at the improved features list of the 603 and assuming it's the better option?

If wireless connectivity is not a necessity then perhaps I would look at something like the Denon DM38 at around £200. You can then match it up with a fantastic choice of budget speakers, add on some speaker stands, Maplin speaker cable, and all done for 400 quid in time for Christmas.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
h0bbes:
since i prefer the newer model and i have been patiently waiting for its price to drop, but its not happening!

Sadly, the price generally drops when a newer model (with more/better features) is on the horizon. This will then turn your head and you'll want that one. Before you know it, it'll be 20 years from now and you'll still be having this debate

I know, because I've been stuck in this trap for years for various bits of gadgetry!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Worth noting that the M-CR603 doesn't offer wireless network connectivity: extremely good though it is in every other respect, it's Ethernet (wired) only, so will need the addition of an external wireless bridge/adapter.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
h0bbes wrote (in a post that seems to have gone missing):

The Denon DM38 looks quite good but im still stuck to the cr502, maybe because of its looks. Sound wise, will the DM38 be as good as the marantz (assuming that it will be paired with much better speakers).
Initially i was really after wireless connectivity but none of the existing solutions seemed good enough (soundbridge etc - excluding the sonos which is too expensive) so i had to let go of that idea. Wired is not so bad and i would gladly take that over nothing. Im just surprised that the price of cr502 has remained the same since the cr603 is just a better version. I'll wait for the xmas sales and hopefully the price will go down.
any other suggestions? thanks so much

A

Anonymous

Yes my post disappeared and i was confused :) Thanks so much for that

A

Anonymous

I've seen arcam solo mini setups on eBay 2nd hand for as little as £375 and they are amazing bits of kit if you can get over not new

A

Anonymous

I think i would rather get a new setup rather than a used one. Reliability is quite important to me:)

TRENDING THREADS