What are you listening to?

Page 48 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:Lost Angeles:The line up for tonight is
Eagles “Long road out of Eden”
Jethro Tull “Aqualung” 25th Anniversary Special Edition
Eagles “Hell Freezes Over”
Jethro Tull “Crest of a Knave” Remastered all on CD. No vinyl as I need a phono amp.
Got Joe Bonamassa “Sloe Gin” lined up on the MP3 player for Mondays walk to work Nice listening session that.

You can say that again! And then finishing with `Grendel` and `Les Miserables`. Nice. Talking of Les Miserables have you heard `Miss Saigon` by the same writers? I can highly recommend it if you haven`t.

Do you find your 25th Anniversary Special Edition of `Aqualung` to be rather quiet?

If you keep mentioning `Long road out of Eden` then you`ll keep reminding me that I don`t have this album on vinyl and I would like it and it`s expensive!

matthewpiano

'Les Miserables' and 'Miss Saigon' are both wonderful works. I've seen 'Les Miserables' 3 times (twice in London and once in Manchester) and I'd go again. Its emotionally draining but just packed full of wonderful music.

Its such a shame that 'Martin Guerre' (by the same writers) didn't live up to the same high standards.

lonely boy

Apr 19, 2008
Visit site
Uroboros.jpg

matthewpiano

'Damnation' (Opeth)

An excellent recommendation from Big Chris. Listened to it twice and really enjoying it.

'Love and Other Demons' (Strangelove)

Never understood why this album never got more exposure. The band just seemed to disappear off the edge of a cliff. Extremely good album IMO.

'Falling In Between' (Toto)

A proper return to form for this great band. Bought this when it first came out and it remains a fine album in my mind.

'The Essential Toto' Disc 2 (Toto)

Great tunes and some nice funky rhythms. Really enjoyable. Love this band.

'Tightly Unwound' (The Pineapple Thief)

A new one for me. Some blisteringly beautiful moments contrast with sections of powerful attack. Quite wonderful actually.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
survivor:

matthewpiano:Lost Angeles:The line up for tonight is
Eagles “Long road out of Eden”
Jethro Tull “Aqualung” 25th Anniversary Special Edition
Eagles “Hell Freezes Over”
Jethro Tull “Crest of a Knave” Remastered all on CD. No vinyl as I need a phono amp.
Got Joe Bonamassa “Sloe Gin” lined up on the MP3 player for Mondays walk to work Nice listening session that.

You can say that again! And then finishing with `Grendel` and `Les Miserables`. Nice. Talking of Les Miserables have you heard `Miss Saigon` by the same writers? I can highly recommend it if you haven`t.

Do you find your 25th Anniversary Special Edition of `Aqualung` to be rather quiet?

If you keep mentioning `Long road out of Eden` then you`ll keep reminding me that I don`t have this album on vinyl and I would like it and it`s expensive!

Survivor. Didn't notice that “Aqualung” was quiet but I did have the amp at 11 o'clock. I'll check next time I play it.
I was going to ask on here if the vinyl version of “Long road out of Eden” is worth getting but having played the CD I think I'll stick with that. If I like Sloe Gin I'll get that on vinyl

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:'Les Miserables' and 'Miss Saigon' are both wonderful works. I've seen 'Les Miserables' 3 times (twice in London and once in Manchester) and I'd go again. Its emotionally draining but just packed full of wonderful music. Its such a shame that 'Martin Guerre' (by the same writers) didn't live up to the same high standards.

Matthewpiano. We have also seen Les Mis 3 times all in London and it's definitely our favourite musical. The last time we sat in row E in the stalls and the power of the singing was awesome. We usually sit in the Lower Circle but I think next time we go we'll sit in the stalls again.
My son is playing Enjolras in this in a few weeks time in a youth production in our town.

No music tonight watching all 3 wildlife progs
Sorry this has took 2 posts I need to work out how to get 2 lots of quotes on one post.

A

Anonymous

Stonecutters made them from stones

Specially chosen for you and I

Who will live inside

The mountaineers gathered tender

Piled high

In which to take along

Driving many miles, knowing they'd get here.

(great lyrics too )

A

Anonymous

Spacehopper:momo72:

f03208m2htv.jpg

"Honeymoon. Selected by CAM" (DJ CAM) compilation on Chronowax, which I forgot I even had.

Track #1 "Loran's Dance" by Grover Washington Jr is an amazing jazz piece with a great sax solo in the middle, brilliant brilliant piece of music!!!!

I wonder if this is a different version. It is a Grover Washington Jr tune but I have it on the 1974 Idris Muhammad album Power Of Soul which was his first album as lead. This is also an amazing album great line up of musicians on it. Also the sax solo from it was sampled by DJ Shadow on his seminal Entroducing album, have a listen to that as there are some very surprising samples on it (Stratosfear by Tangerine Dream) !

I have no idea Spacehopper. I will certainly try to look him up and listen to some other tunes as (at least that one - "Loran's Dance") it sounds really good (IMO).

What album(s) would you recommend, if any?

A

Anonymous

Now you've done it !

Power of Soul is a very good album - worth checking out. If you like stuff in a similar vein albeit with a huge dose of funk added then check out Headhunters & Fat Albert Rotunda both by Herbie Hancock, Headhunters especially is truly amazing.

Attica Blues by Archie Shepp is more along the lines of Loran's Dance but with a twist (Archie Shepp was one of the main men in the avant garde jazz scene) don't be put off tho' it has an all time classic track on it, Blues For Brother George Jackson.

For more contemporary stuff check out the Future Sound Of Jazz compilations from Compost Records, absoutely brilliant. One of the best artist albums on Compost Records is Exercise De Styles by Les Gammas - another cracker.

A British band worth checking out is Two Banks Of Four lead by Rob Gallagher ex-Galliano superb albums and an excellent remix album of their stuff by other artists.

Old school stuff try The Stylistics self titled first album which been remastered contains People Make The World Go Round, one of my all time favourties.

Some other essential artists I would recommend are Gil Scott Heron, David Axelrod, Curtis Mayfield, Terry Callier, Jon Lucien, Betty Davis (one of Miles Davis' exes), Jimmy Smith (check out The Cat used for the Panorama theme music !).

I'm probably being presumptious with these - it's just my enthusiasm for the music
emotion-2.gif

I need to stop now as I could be here all night. Enjoy (hopefully).

A

Anonymous

momo72:

21dRtqSWPaL._SS400_.jpg

Blow Up - Michel Portal (clarinet, sax soprano, jazzophone) and Richard Galliano (accordeon, piano) / live recording

I heartily recommend this album. Jazz as I like it! This is simply brilliant.

Spacehopper, that one is for you. Worth checking out, in my view.

Thanks for the list of names above!!

emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

momo72:momo72:

21dRtqSWPaL._SS400_.jpg

Blow Up - Michel Portal (clarinet, sax soprano, jazzophone) and Richard Galliano (accordeon, piano) / live recording

I heartily recommend this album. Jazz as I like it! This is simply brilliant.

Spacehopper, that one is for you. Worth checking out, in my view.

Thanks for the list of names above!!

emotion-2.gif

Cheers Momo72 - that's now added to my list.

If you've not came across it before you should check out the emusic website an amazing amount of non-mainstream music (and no I don't work for them
emotion-1.gif
)

matthewpiano

Crawling Through The USA (Michael Weston King)

America (America)

Hourglass (America)

Here & Now CD2 - Live (America)

Bad Moon Rising - The Very Best of Creedence Clearwater Revival

Lots of America today after the gig last night. Michael Weston King was the support act. First time I'd come across him, but an excellent performer and songwriter. 'Crawling...' is a live album which I bought from the man himself last night.

matthewpiano

Beethoven Piano Sonata No.4 (Andras Schiff), ECM

Mr Love & Justice (Billy Bragg) - The full band version

People Get Ready (Russell Watson) - Can't stand this guy when he is trying to be an operatic singer but I love this album of soul standards. Some really good performances and exactly what he should be focusing on IMO.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts