what are the yamaha wxc-50, and wxa50?

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi people,

just curious as to what these two products are as regularly mentioned here, and whether they might improve the sound quality of my system.

During the audition I had last week of the ATC speakers and Kef's, it was clearly demonstrated that the sound quality through bluetooth was not as clear as through a streamer using the same DAC. (ie the Kef speakers have both built in).

So I'm thinking, is this Yamaha product something that might be useful for me? Also, I don't know what pre or power amps do exactly and what the differences are. So there are two products here, and one says that it is a pre amp, and the other just an amp. So which one would be compatible with my K3, and will the ampplifier on board the yamaha boost the power of my system and also increase the sound quality this way?

Many thanks,

Roger.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
radiorog said:
Hi people,

just curious as to what these two products are as regularly mentioned here, and whether they might improve the sound quality of my system.

During the audition I had last week of the ATC speakers and Kef's, it was clearly demonstrated that the sound quality through bluetooth was not as clear as through a streamer using the same DAC. (ie the Kef speakers have both built in).

So I'm thinking, is this Yamaha product something that might be useful for me? Also, I don't know what pre or power amps do exactly and what the differences are. So there are two products here, and one says that it is a pre amp, and the other just an amp. So which one would be compatible with my K3, and will the ampplifier on board the yamaha boost the power of my system and also increase the sound quality this way?

Many thanks,

Roger.

Your K3 amplifier is an 'integrated' amplifier. This means that the one box integrates or combines both pre-amplifier and power amplifier functions.

A pre-amplifier provides control of switching between line inputs and a volume control. A power amplifier amplifies the signal and powers the speakers.

The WXC-50 is a streamer and pre-amp, so contains a number of inputs and a volume control. But you would need a separate power amplifier between that and your speakers. As you already have an integrated amplifier, if you used the WXC-50, you would use its RCA outputs, set it to a fixed output and use the volume control in your K3. I would think the pre-amp section of your K3 is superior to the Yamaha, so really you're just using the streamer and DAC elements of the Yamaha.

The WXA-50 is a streamer and integrated amp so would be a pointless purchase considering you already have a perfectly respectable integrated amplifier.

As you have an integrated amp, you may be better off looking at the Yamaha WX-AD10 which is a streamer with RCA outputs that you could plug straight into the Roksan or Yamaha NP-S303 which has a more conventional hifi component look and a display.

The WXC-50 and WXA-50 is paying for components you don't need. So no, you can't combine the power amp of the Yamaha with your Roksan. As your K3 has a home cinema bypass/AV input, you could in theory use the pre-amp of the Yamaha WXC-50 and use your K3 purely as a power amp, using the Yammy to control volume for that input, but I would imagine that would decrease the sound quality overall. Your K3's pre-amp should be superior.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
radiorog said:
Hi people,

Many thanks,

Roger.
one is a pre-amp and the other is a amplifier but both of them do streaming and both have Dac’s the pre-amp is cheapest to buy I think its £299 still I am not sure . Most people buy the Pre-amp if your already got a amplifier .

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Leeps said:
radiorog said:
Hi people,

Many thanks,

Roger.

Your K3 amplifier is an 'integrated' amplifier. This means that the one box integrates or combines both pre-amplifier and power amplifier functions.

A pre-amplifier provides control of switching between line inputs and a volume control. A power amplifier amplifies the signal and powers the speakers.

The WXC-50 is a streamer and pre-amp, so contains a number of inputs and a volume control. But you would need a separate power amplifier between that and your speakers. As you already have an integrated amplifier, if you used the WXC-50, you would use its RCA outputs, set it to a fixed output and use the volume control in your K3. I would think the pre-amp section of your K3 is superior to the Yamaha, so really you're just using the streamer and DAC elements of the Yamaha.

The WXA-50 is a streamer and integrated amp so would be a pointless purchase considering you already have a perfectly respectable integrated amplifier.

As you have an integrated amp, you may be better off looking at the Yamaha WX-AD10 which is a streamer with RCA outputs that you could plug straight into the Roksan or Yamaha NP-S303 which has a more conventional hifi component look and a display.

The WXC-50 and WXA-50 is paying for components you don't need. So no, you can't combine the power amp of the Yamaha with your Roksan. As your K3 has a home cinema bypass/AV input, you could in theory use the pre-amp of the Yamaha WXC-50 and use your K3 purely as a power amp, using the Yammy to control volume for that input, but I would imagine that would decrease the sound quality overall. Your K3's pre-amp should be superior.

Fantastic, thanks leeps, really appreciate the response. Tried to figure it out quickly through Wikipedia but it didn't help. I'll have a look into the AD10 then. *i-m_so_happy*

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
radiorog said:
Hi people,

Many thanks,

Roger.
one is a pre-amp and the other is a amplifier but both of them do streaming and both have Dac’s the pre-amp is cheapest to buy I think its £299 still I am not sure . Most people buy the Pre-amp if your already got a amplifier .

Thanks BS *good*

insider9

I wrote a long reply on my phone but it got eaten by the website.

WXC-50 is a decent streamer with a very decent sounding DAC. If functionality is too much for you then WXAD10 could be an option however your K3 has aptX Bluetooth so you could simply use that before you spend any money. From my demo of K3 which sadly I didn't like (dealers fault) I like Roksan gear. Music via Bluetooth sounded very good indeed. Another thing to consider is that WXAD10 can only output via analogue so can't connect it to an external DAC. In which scenario I'm not sure I'd not recomment a different solution entirely to future proof a little.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:

WXC-50 is a decent streamer with a very decent sounding DAC. If functionality is too much for you then WXAD10 could be an option however your K3 has aptX Bluetooth so you could simply use that before you spend any money. From my demo of K3 which sadly I didn't like (dealers fault) I like Roksan gear. Music via Bluetooth sounded very good indeed. Another thing to consider is that WXAD10 can only output via analogue so can't connect it to an external DAC. In which scenario I'm not sure I'd not recomment a different solution entirely to future proof a little.
I’ve got mine running through my Yamaha CD player connected by co-axe so I can use my CD player Dac it sounds great

insider9

Blacksabbath25 said:
insider9 said:

I’ve got mine running through my Yamaha CD player connected by co-axe so I can use my CD player Dac it sounds great 
You mean WXC-50? Yes, I run mine via Coax to Minidsp for DAC and room correction duties.

Sorry, meant WXAD10 doesn't seem to have digital outputs so OP couldn't upgrade it in future.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
insider9 said:

You mean WXC-50? Yes, I run mine via Coax to Minidsp for DAC and room correction duties.

Sorry, meant WXAD10 doesn't seem to have digital outputs so OP couldn't upgrade it in future.
yes sorry I meant the Yamaha WXC-50 .

That Minidisp that you use I am interested in buying one I do not want to de- rail the thread but I take it it’s the same as Dirac live ? And what kind of money are the mini dap and how do you implement that into a 2 channel stereo to cover cd playback and streaming of the WXC-50

insider9

Blacksabbath25 said:
insider9 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
insider9 said:

yes sorry I meant the Yamaha WXC-50  . 

That Minidisp that you use I am interested in buying one I do not want to de- rail the thread but I take it it’s the same as Dirac live  ? And what kind of money are the mini dap and how do you implement that into a 2 channel stereo to cover cd playback and streaming of the WXC-50 
Ok, I'll try to keep it short not to derail.

There are Minidsp boxes with Dirac Live. The one I'm using really is a 8 channel dac, active crossover plus room correction etc. Fully manual without Dirac Live. It's more than I need at the minute as only using 2 channels out of 8.

The one I started with is called 2x4HD it's 4 channels. So you can use 2 for stereo and another 2 for a subwoofer or two. Unit is circa £240 and can be upgraded to Dirac Live. But both of these work as DACs so will be or at least should be last in the chain before amplification. That means you wouldn't be able to use your Yamaha CD player DAC. And if you did you'd do an unnecessary ADC.

There are fully digital boxes that can do correction and pass on digital signal to DAC this way you could keep it between WXC-50 and CD player. However your CD playback would not have a good correction. These units are best suited for use with external DAC.

One thing worth considering is how much time and effort are you willing to put into this. If your time is limited buy one with Dirac Live it'll cost you more but you'll have decent results the first day and definitely within could of days. Fully manual units like mine can takes months to master. You will need to know exact what you're after and how if looks like. Don't get me wrong it's a lot of fun and rewarding but I know not everyone would want to do it. Even I l had days thinking I should really not bother with correction as there's always something you can improve :)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I think it might be easier if you think about what you are trying to achieve in the context of your system.

It would help if we knew what you wanted to stream and from where, a WAX10 might be all that you need as it covers most of the bases and is relatively inexpensive. The WXC50 is more capable but offers far more than you probably need at this point, it does however give you much greater scope for improvement down the line.

Either unit will stream from a network drive, with the WXC50 having the option of a USB plug in too, both offer access to a fair few online services including Spotify, Tidal and internet radio. Both use the excellent MusicCast control app.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking to stream Google play music (I feel it sounds better than Spotify) as currently I use the Bluetooth on my amp, which is fine, bit when I heard the Kef speakers Bluetooth compared to its own streamer, the Bluetooth definitely had less clarity and detail. It seems like an obvious immediate increase in sound quality to try to switch from my Bluetooth to streaming somehow. Currently, this is all I will use it for, oh, and radio apps. I'm presuming I could use my mobile and tablet to cast the apps and the streamer would retrieve the information directly from my WiFi?
Thanks for the help.

insider9

If it's Google Play Music (GPM) you could do better using Chromecast Audio and an external DAC if the sound quality is not to your liking.

You could cast GPM to Yamaha via an app like BubbleUPnp but it would definitely be easier to use with Chromecast Audio.

Finally is internet radio in the Yamaha but for majority of the things you use Yamaha Musiccast app. It's decent but I've seen better.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Hope iam excused for derailing this post a bit. If you want Dirac room correction, in the digital realm between the wxc-50 and the dac in your cd player. Then you will need a DDRC-22D, also sold on the same website as mini-dsp :)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Hope iam excused for derailing this post a bit. If you want Dirac room correction, in the digital realm between the wxc-50 and the dac in your cd player. Then you will need a DDRC-22D, also sold on the same website as mini-dsp :)
ok thanks

i am looking into this as it’s something I want to do it’s just choosing the right thing for me and my needs .

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
newlash09 said:

dont worry about derailing....it all seems relevant.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
If it's Google Play Music (GPM) you could do better using Chromecast Audio and an external DAC if the sound quality is not to your liking.

You could cast GPM to Yamaha via an app like BubbleUPnp but it would definitely be easier to use with Chromecast Audio.

Finally is internet radio in the Yamaha but for majority of the things you use Yamaha Musiccast app. It's decent but I've seen better.

ok, sounds like a decent solution, I'll have a look into chromecast audio. regarding the radio apps, could I not simply cast the apps from my tablet then? I'm not bothered with second man interface apps if you know what I mean?

insider9

I believe something like TuneIn radio can be cast to Chromecast Audio so that shouldn't be a problem.

Yamaha is very good as long as you need all the functionality. Recently I even found out that due to it having Airplay it can serve as a Roon endpoint. It works really well like that also.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I had tried something similar recently. I streamed the same track via Bluetooth on the wxc-50 to my external dac. And then through the Chromecast audio digital out into the same dac. And even I felt the Chrome cast did a much better job than Bluetooth.

So my present setup with the Yamaha wxc-50 is as under mentioned :

Chromecast audio > mini toslink optical out > optical-in on yamaha wxc-50 > co-axial out from Yamaha wxc-50 > chord 2qute dac > integrated amp.

Since my dac doesn't come with a remote to switch inputs, I connected the Chromecast into the WXC-50 instead of the dac. Now I switch between streaming from wxc-50 or Chromecast audio via the app on my tablet, without having to get up to change inputs manaully on the dac. And I have stopped using Bluetooth completely .

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
newlash09 said:
I had tried something similar recently. I streamed the same track via Bluetooth on the wxc-50 to my external dac. And then through the Chromecast audio digital out into the same dac. And even I felt the Chrome cast did a much better job than Bluetooth.

So my present setup with the Yamaha wxc-50 is as under mentioned :

Chromecast audio > mini toslink optical out > optical-in on yamaha wxc-50 > co-axial out from Yamaha wxc-50 > chord 2qute dac > integrated amp.

Since my dac doesn't come with a remote to switch inputs, I connected the Chromecast into the WXC-50 instead of the dac. Now I switch between streaming from wxc-50 or Chromecast audio via the app on my tablet, without having to get up to change inputs manaully on the dac. And I have stopped using Bluetooth completely .

sounds interesting newlash. Why do you go from the chromecast to the yamaha then dac, couldnt you just go from chromecast straight to dac? Just thinking on cost terms, this would be cheaper for me.

regarding sound quality between bluetooth and streaming, I could noticeably pick out words on the streaming that I couldnt through bluetooth.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
My chord 2 qute dac comes only with a manual switch at the back to toggle between the different digital inputs. So if I plugged the Chromecast directly into the dac. Then i'd have to manually switch between the wxc-50 and the Chromecast. In order to be able to switch between both via the app, I have plugged the Chromecast into the WXC-50. And the wxc-50 passes this digital signal with out any interference to the chord dac :)

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I can hear much difference between the Chromecast and the wxc-50 as a digital streamer going into an external dac in my setup to my ears. I bought the Chromecast recently, and the wxc-50 much earlier. Since you don't need the pre-amp functionality of the wxc-50, and only want a digital streamer, maybe the Chromecast will be adequate for your needs of your integrated amp has a built in dac :)

insider9

You're right Newlash09 to a point. Very much think Chromecast Audio is appropriate here. However K3 only has a DAC for Bluetooth. It's one of the bizarre choices Roksan made. But should Chromecast Audio not sound good enough it can be connected to an external DAC.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
newlash09 said:
I can hear much difference between the Chromecast and the wxc-50 as a digital streamer going into an external dac in my setup to my ears. I bought the Chromecast recently, and the wxc-50 much earlier. Since you don't need the pre-amp functionality of the wxc-50, and only want a digital streamer, maybe the Chromecast will be adequate for your needs of your integrated amp has a built in dac :)

you can, or cant hear much difference? If you can, which is better?

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
You're right Newlash09 to a point. Very much think Chromecast Audio is appropriate here. However K3 only has a DAC for Bluetooth. It's one of the bizarre choices Roksan made. But should Chromecast Audio not sound good enough it can be connected to an external DAC.

I dont mind not having a dac in the amp, although i would much rather have a dac than a phono stage. Putting a phono stage in I think is not the best idea this day and age. Id rather just pay for what I need hey!

Do you think I could get a decent enough dac to improve on the SQ of the bluetooth for £200 or less?

TRENDING THREADS