what are the yamaha wxc-50, and wxa50?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

insider9

From memory Bluetooth aptX on Roksan didn't sound any better or worse than an Audiolab 8200CD or was it 8300CD... If it did difference were not easily noticed in these conditions. You may remember I wasn't impressed with the amp in that demo. Having a couple of Roksan amps since I believe it was a poor demo as I like Roksan gear.

Have you anyone who could let you try a DAC or a steamer for comparison?

If you get a Chromecast Audio make sure you can return it should you experience issues or simply didn't like it.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Dac was hard wired to their Bluetooth module. Thanks for pointing it out insider9. In which case, maybe the Yamaha wxc-50 is a better bet than going for an external dac + Chromecast , as it opens up a plethora of options. And the inbuilt dac sounds good to my ears.

Good morning radiorog... I had meant that I can't hear much of a difference between the wxc-50 and the Chromecast going digitally into an external dac.

newlash09 said:
Dac was hard wired to their Bluetooth module. Thanks for pointing it out insider9. In which case, maybe the Yamaha wxc-50 is a better bet than going for an external dac + Chromecast , as it opens up a plethora of options. And the inbuilt dac sounds good to my ears.

Good morning radiorog... I had meant that I can't hear much of a difference between the wxc-50 and the Chromecast going digitally into an external dac.
This is of interest to me too. I have always been impressed at the cc sound quality for the money, but tbh I'm often impressed regardless. Yesterday afternoon I listened to a couple of new albums from Qobuz cd quality streaming, and didn't realise it wasn't the CD player (which costs about fifty times as much). I'd vaguely been wondering if the Yamaha might be a worthwhile upgrade if I could stream directly instead of using the cc.

Im not really sure why you need both!

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
From memory Bluetooth aptX on Roksan didn't sound any better or worse than an Audiolab 8200CD or was it 8300CD... If it did difference were not easily noticed in these conditions. You may remember I wasn't impressed with the amp in that demo. Having a couple of Roksan amps since I believe it was a poor demo as I like Roksan gear.

If you get a Chromecast Audio make sure you can return it should you experience issues or simply didn't like it.
Hey insider, no I dont know anyone with dac or streamer. The Bluetooth on the Roksan sounds great, don't get me wrong , but I noticed I could make out words with the streamer that I couldn't via Bluetooth. Sound signature is pretty identical though.
Not sure where I would get a Chromecast from where they would let me return it once box opened?

insider9

radiorog said:
insider9 said:

Hey insider, no I dont know anyone with dac or streamer. The Bluetooth on the Roksan sounds great, don't get me wrong , but I noticed I could make out words with the streamer that I couldn't via Bluetooth. Sound signature is pretty identical though.
Not sure where I would get a Chromecast from where they would let me return it once box opened?
Got mine from Currys. I've returned it after a day. Had dropouts and wasn't happy with sound quality as I wasn't using it with external DAC. They made no issues whatsoever with a full refund. Were you to buy it online you'll have no problems returning it just about anywhere.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
newlash09 said:
I can hear much difference between the Chromecast and the wxc-50 as a digital streamer going into an external dac in my setup to my ears. I bought the Chromecast recently, and the wxc-50 much earlier. Since you don't need the pre-amp functionality of the wxc-50, and only want a digital streamer, maybe the Chromecast will be adequate for your needs of your integrated amp has a built in dac :)
How expensive was the DAC used? Surely this would be the main component controlling streamed music sound quality? I wonder how the cc would sound without going through an expensive DAC, and also how expensive would a DAC need to be to make a decent upgrade to sq.?

radiorog said:
newlash09 said:
I can hear much difference between the Chromecast and the wxc-50 as a digital streamer going into an external dac in my setup to my ears. I bought the Chromecast recently, and the wxc-50 much earlier. Since you don't need the pre-amp functionality of the wxc-50, and only want a digital streamer, maybe the Chromecast will be adequate for your needs of your integrated amp has a built in dac :)
How expensive was the DAC used? Surely this would be the main component controlling streamed music sound quality? I wonder how the cc would sound without going through an expensive DAC, and also how expensive would a DAC need to be to make a decent upgrade to sq.?
The CC uses an AKM4430 DAC chip. They make many types, including the ones in Linn's £18k Klimax streamer, so they presumably know what they are doing., I made some observations on sound quality a few posts above.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
radiorog said:
newlash09 said:
The CC uses an AKM4430 DAC chip.  They make many types, including the ones in Linn's £18k Klimax streamer, so they presumably know what they are doing.,  I made some observations on sound quality a few posts above.  
Noted, I did see you post and interesting to read. So maybe I wouldn't need an external DAC if I got cc? That would be a big saver.

daveh75

radiorog said:

It's 30 quid and often reduced way below that (I paid 13 quid for one of mine) and with Black Friday/Cyber Monday upcoming there's likely to be bargains to be had...

daveh75

radiorog said:
nopiano said:
radiorog said:
newlash09 said:
The CC uses an AKM4430 DAC chip. They make many types, including the ones in Linn's £18k Klimax streamer, so they presumably know what they are doing., I made some observations on sound quality a few posts above.
Noted, I did see you post and interesting to read. So maybe I wouldn't need an external DAC if I got cc? That would be a big saver.

There's nowt wrong with the DAC in the CCA

http://archimago.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/measurements-google-chromecast-audio.html

Frankly I'd ignore the subjective drivel and just buy one...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts