what amplifier with av bypass to add to existing system

lexloofah

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi folks, I currently run a 7.1 monitor audio rs6av package off an arcam avr600 av amp. Using a Cyrus cd6 se player. I am going to upgrade the fronts to the new silver 10's (keeping things sweet with the cinema setup). The avr600 is getting a bit outdated as far a receivers go, plus the niggles with use ability which are always there. So my plan is to switch out the 600 for like a top yammy for movie's. I recently became aware of amps (int or pre) that have av bypass (seems like the holy grail of home cinema vs HiFi woes I've had for 10 years) my question is what would be a good place to start looking for amps with this feature, bearing in mind it will be sitting between a cd6se and MA silver 10s. The arcam did a good job of not overredging the sparkle of the cd6, while supporting the lower frequency with some heft. Thanks in advance.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I have an AVR600 and provided it isn't giving bother, I wouldn't swap it for anything, other than the current Arcam pre/power, especially if it's sound quality you are after.

For 2 channel, it is truely amazing for an AV amp, provided you use Stereo Direct. Mine was driving Kef Reference 205/2s with ease. Then like you, I wanted to improve stereo performance. I tried some mighty fine amps - MF M6i, Moon i7, Coda CSi - and preferred it to all of them. It wasn't until I tried the MF AMS 35i that I felt I got a significant improvement.

On the AV front, it happily drives a full Kef Reference 5.1 speaker system to stunning effect: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/your-system/and-finally

So I would suggest that the AVR600 is the best part of your system and you should upgrade around it....especially the front 3 speakers, where it could handle the MA Platinum, Kef Refs or PMCs. FWIW. I would try it with the best speakers/sub you can afford and I think you will be impressed.

Have you read this (though it is a little ott): http://www.iar-80.com/page161.html

lexloofah

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Glad to see someone else has tried what I'm thinking. I was thinking as the arcam is an avr I must be missing something on the stereo front, when I get my new front speakers ( that will be first upgrade) that will give me a significant boost i think .

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
lexloofah said:
Thanks for the reply. Glad to see someone else has tried what I'm thinking. I was thinking as the arcam is an avr I must be missing something on the stereo front, when I get my new front speakers ( that will be first upgrade) that will give me a significant boost i think .

Mostly I would agree with that statement, but the Class G AVRs from Arcam are a bit special in that department (imo).

Do keep in touch with how you get on....I have spent a few years trying to maximize its performance, experimenting with Dolby Volume, Bi-amping, Power cords/Speaker cables and isolation products; so if there is anything I can help with, just let me know.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts