what amplifier- help please

Xtyr

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I am a new member and a complete newbie when it comes to HI FI,

I just aquired a pair of TANNOY Eyris C Sycamore speakers, which I understand should be used a centre speaker but happens to be I have a pair and want to use them as a stereo speakers.

Cable I am using is: Van Damme 268-515-060 blue series classic pro loudspeaker cable 2x1.5 mm TWIN AXIAL

I am sitting 3m from the speakers,

even though I like metal music I am after a crystal clear sound over a loudness and bass

is there a amplifier you could recomend for no more than £250- £350

thank you kindly

P.S

should I consider seperate equalizer?

Xtyr said:
Hello,

I just aquired a pair of TANNOY Eyris C Sycamore speakers, which I understand should be used a centre speaker but happens to be I have a pair and want to use them as a stereo speakers.

Cable I am using is: Van Damme 268-515-060 blue series classic pro loudspeaker cable 2x1.5 mm TWIN AXIAL

even though I like metal music I am after a crystal clear sound over a loudness and bass

thank you kindly

P.S

should I consider seperate equalizer?

Forget equalizer. What's your source of music?

Note: Being centre speakers you are unlikely to get much bass out of them as these are usually 'voiced' for speach.

Also welcome to the forum. Are you UK based?

Xtyr

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Hello!

thank you for such a promt resposne!

I am UK based yes (Manchester)

source of music would be laptop/telephone possibly a bluetooth devise connected to AMP so I can stream music from my phone anywhere

thank you!

rainsoothe

Al ears said:
Xtyr said:
Hello,

?

thank you kindly

P.S

should I consider seperate equalizer??

Forget equalizer. What's your source of music?

Note: Being centre speakers you are unlikely to get much bass out of them as these are usually 'voiced' for speach.

Also welcome to the forum. Are you UK based?

If the"no bass" bit applies, an amp with pre out for a sub is needed. Ofc they might have enough bass. Depending on budget, I'd look at Nad C326 BEE, or Cambridge Audio / Rotel.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
As above they are for AV use only and will not give you a good sound . I would go to richer sounds and ask if they have a all in box that does the things you want and some proper speakers or get your self some really good PC hi fi speakers as they will sound better then your laptops speakers plus they have there own amp built inside.

MickyBlue

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
lindsayt said:
Richer Sounds is the last place I'd go for an amp and speaker combination for £350.

Try ebay instead. UK and German.

Though might be the right first place for a complete beginner. What use is ebay if you don't know what to buy?

He's got a good point there!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Or if you can't discern a ripped driver cone, pushed dome, deteriorated surrounds, blown tweeter, unoriginal drivers, scams, bloated prices etc. If there ever was 100% accurate hi-fi analogy for walking barefoot and blindfolded in a dense mine field, it would be buying hi-fi second hand on ebay, internationally, as a newb.

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
going brand new the marantz is a good budget amp, but after hearing a onkyo 9010UK it can give the marantz a run for its money and £100 less, I guess you are not paying for a dac in there , its a very basic amp , no dac, no a,b speaker switching, but its sounds really good

Xtyr

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Thank you very much for all your help guys, from what I am hearing the speakrs I got will never give me a crystal clear sound I am after even with a decent amp. It's a shame as I got these free for some time and was hoping to get just an amp for now.

I trust your opinion and will think about getting some more cash first and get a decent speakers as well.

Is there a combination anyone has in mind (stereo speakers+ AMP) which gives crystal clear sound and both are not more than £600?

I really dont care about loudness just a intense rich and clear sound

thank you very much once again guys and I am waiting for some ideas for a my set :)

cheers

rainsoothe

Xtyr said:
Thank you very much for all your help guys, from what I am hearing the speakrs I got will never give me a crystal clear sound I am after even with a decent amp. It's a shame as I got these free for some time and was hoping to get just an amp for now.

I trust your opinion and will think about getting some more cash first and get a decent speakers as well.

Is there a combination anyone has in mind (stereo speakers+ AMP) which gives crystal clear sound and both are not more than £600?

thank you very much once again guys and I am waiting for some ideas for a my set :)

cheers

What will you be playing from? PC? CD player? Turntable? Also, would the looks of professional studio monitors bother you? Or you want hi-fi stuff for the eye-candy factor as well? :)

gasolin

Xtyr said:

cheers

Yes again the marantz PM6005 and a pair of the best budget speakers, boston a 25-26,monitor audio bx 1/2,Q acoustics 2010/2020, wharfdale 220 diamond, dali zensor 1, lektor1/2 or mabye a pair of the small B&W 685

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Xtyr said:

The best 'crystal clear sound, rich and intense' for a limited budget... That screams: ACTIVE SPEAKERS. Think Presonus, Yamaha, Adam, Genelec. Or even a pair of KEF X300A: include digital inputs, and even wifi (and they look a lot better than your average active speaker too!).

Do you have a pro- or DJ-shop within reach?

EDIT: I'm talking about the X300A Wireless obviously. Look here. And here.

rainsoothe

DocG said:
The best 'crystal clear sound, rich and intense' for a limited budget... That screams: ACTIVE SPEAKERS. Think Presonus, Yamaha, Adam, Genelec.

Indeed. I would look at Adam A5X bundle (which means pair + isolation pads) + Behringer UCA202 on thomann and control volume from laptop.

Xtyr

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi and thank you,

I am not bothered by the look, mostly it will be music from telephone, laptop I want to connect bluetooth device so can stream it from my phone wireless

Xtyr

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
hi,

I didn't consider active speakers as was always told passive+APM is the best sound quality- I was hoping to acheive this with my £600 budget for both, it sounds from what you are saying it may be difficult and I should consider a active units

intersting - I shal look into it

thanks

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Xtyr said:
hi,

I didn't consider active speakers as was always told passive+APM is the best sound quality- I was hoping to acheive this with my £600 budget for both, it sounds from what you are saying it may be difficult and I should consider a active units

intersting - I shal look into it

thanks

You may find the KEFs in a 'regular' hifi-shop, while the other suggestions are to be found in pro-shops only. The KEFs let you stream music right off your 'phone, using AirPlay or wifi.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Xtyr said:
thanks - you mean: KEF X300A or other models of KEF

I mean the KEF X300A Wireless, as I think this might be just what you're after, and you have a good chance to see and hear the speakers (at a dealer's) before pulling the trigger.

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I have not listened to the above amp but thought I would suggest you research it based on your system requirements and the amp's digital inputs. There are plenty of reviews online. Sevenoaks are the uk distributers. They cost £400 which would leave £200 for the speakers. Power wise might might struggle in a big room?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts