What amp with Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6 speakers

doeboy

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I bought these speakers in 2010 along with my second Teac Reference 380. (had the mk 1 before) It's always bugged me that i was running £700 speakers on a £170 amp and it didn't help when i read a review on here about how the amp lets it down. Now i'm looking to increase the sound quality hopefully. I Listen to 95% of my music through a 3.5mm to phono from my Ipad @ 256-320kbps mp3. So currently the weak link as i see it is the amp and lack of DAC.

I called 2 Richersounds shops and they were pretty hopeless for advice to be honest. A far cry from 4 years ago when the people i spoke to knew their stuff.

So what amp should i use? i had eyed up a pioneer A50 on special offer and was intending to pair it with a Cambridge Audio dacmagic 100. However that's £150 and the doc for ipad is £100 and it won't even work with a lightning connector so i'd need an 30 pin adaptor and it wouldn't even sit in the cradle....

Richersounds just said come down and try some amps.... sounds like a cop-out to me.#

Any help?

hooflungdung

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
i bought my mezzos back in 2009 to liven up my ca540 amp.it certainly did the trick.

They now sit on the end of Rocksan Caspian M1 pre/power set up worth 3 grand & are not totally out of their depth.

I reckon as long as you are carefull with the tweeter, ie keep it away from bright amps possibly audiolab/cyrus, you won't go far wrong. Roksan Kandy could be a good shout or the Marantz Pearl lite. Or something with a built in dac to kill two birds with one stone.

It's mostly down to budget, but i think your speakers will cross a few price catagories & sing well

As ever get out & listen. Richer sounds is a good first stop

Cheers

doeboy

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
hooflungdung said:
I reckon as long as you are carefull with the tweeter, ie keep it away from bright amps possibly audiolab/cyrus, you won't go far wrong.

Thanks for the input, can you just clarifty, are you suggesting these two or saying stay away from them?

doeboy

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Some, including richer sounds are still selling this for £1100. Would i need a cradle for my ipad or can i connect it another way?

http://www.audio-express.co.uk/product.php?_CYR_6DAC_&CAT=STAMP&id=8437&t=gs&gclid=CJGBxPWWp8ACFQrjwgodGT0AHA

hooflungdung

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
The tweeter can get a bit too lively with brighter amps. the audiolab & cyrus are only examples which err on the brightside.

I wouldn't say avoid anything ,you may find they work well for you. But i would imagine the mezzo's gelling with more full bodied amps. Same old story go & listen,

doeboy

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Well given my spending these past 3 weeks it's have to wait a month or two. One thing is for sure, given that music is so important to me i'll soon restart the quest for better sound. Hopefully soon.

hooflungdung

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Good man

Take your time & ask yourself what you want from your music, do you want to analyse or enjoy & escape, which is what all music should do for us.

have fun

doeboy said:
I bought these speakers in 2010 along with my second Teac Reference 380. (had the mk 1 before) It's always bugged me that i was running £700 speakers on a £170 amp and it didn't help when i read a review on here about how the amp lets it down. Now i'm looking to increase the sound quality hopefully. I Listen to 95% of my music through a 3.5mm to phono from my Ipad @ 256-320kbps mp3. So currently the weak link as i see it is the amp and lack of DAC.

I called 2 Richersounds shops and they were pretty hopeless for advice to be honest. A far cry from 4 years ago when the people i spoke to knew their stuff.

So what amp should i use? i had eyed up a pioneer A50 on special offer and was intending to pair it with a Cambridge Audio dacmagic 100. However that's £150 and the doc for ipad is £100 and it won't even work with a lightning connector so i'd need an 30 pin adaptor and it wouldn't even sit in the cradle....

Richersounds just said come down and try some amps.... sounds like a cop-out to me.#

Any help?

So to your ears is there anything fundamentally wrong with the set-up?

No, I don't think it is a cop out when RS says come and try some different amps. Rather decide the sound I like than have a salesman tell me what to buy.

doeboy

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
It lacks definition in the mids. Bass is fine. But then i am comparing them to good headphones, i find myself wondering if you can get the same clarity out of a hifi that you can hear in cans or is it just that it's alot more expensive. I've just received my soundmagic 150's and true to the reviews they're punching above their weight as far as headphones go for the price point. And it got me thinking again that i'm not getting the mezzos' full potential as it stands.

I also read somewhere that apple removed the ability to bypass their inbuilt dac on the iphone 5 /ipad 4 and above.. if this is true then i'm going to need to find another medium for digital delivery am i not?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts