What’s your current internet speed?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Sometimes my laptop is slow, but I don't think its in regard to internet speed..? So maybe no matter how fast the speed is the computer may have other issues slowing down the process. But in regard to streaming Amazon Fire Stick x4 is a hero component!

Reactions: Deleted member 2457
D

Deleted member 2457

So £67 per month for fibre and line rental? No BT Sport included? Seems like a lot to pay, but it is a very fast speed !
Hi Buzz, my dad did it so I don’t know all the details but my mum got credit for her mobile too and we can make free calls to mobiles from landline. No BT sport £54 broadband. BT fibre 900 it’s called. £13 anytime phone calls £5 credit for my mum mobile so actually £73 roughly. 24 months contract.

Reactions: buzz_lightclick
D

Deleted member 2457

Yeah we needed it to be good my sister and brother in law and my Nieces and moving In for good. My parents are getting old and we thought we would share the bills and they would help out around the house.

Reactions: buzz_lightclick
It’s such a lottery here in the UK. We live in Monmouthshire, and our cottage had a pretty fair 10mbps with a copper BT service. We upgraded to fibre from the cabinet and it sails above 60Mbps download, and similar upload. Reliable too. And nice BT modem router.

Meanwhile, about ten miles away in a new house we struggled to get above 9mbps with Plusnet. OpenReach refused to install fibre from the cabinet quarter of a mile away, despite sixty homes asking. A local telecoms firm set up a fibre service to claim the government voucher scheme. They’ve pulled through fibre cabling in BT’s ducts, and we recently got connected.
Maximum speed promised is 160mbps, but that drops to around 60mbps when wireless, as everything is here except my Linn DS streamer. Still settling in, but seems ok so far. Crude Huawei router though.

Back in Surrey, where I grew up, my dad gets a poxy 0.2mbps with Plusnet and no upgrade option. Just ok for emails and web pages, but no good were he working from home or had a family looking at Netflix and online games. Postcode lottery or what?!

D

Deleted member 2457

It’s such a lottery here in the UK. We live in Monmouthshire, and our cottage had a pretty fair 10mbps with a copper BT service. We upgraded to fibre from the cabinet and it sails above 60Mbps download, and similar upload. Reliable too. And nice BT modem router.

Meanwhile, about ten miles away in a new house we struggled to get above 9mbps with Plusnet. OpenReach refused to install fibre from the cabinet quarter of a mile away, despite sixty homes asking. A local telecoms firm set up a fibre service to claim the government voucher scheme. They’ve pulled through fibre cabling in BT’s ducts, and we recently got connected.
Maximum speed promised is 160mbps, but that drops to around 60mbps when wireless, as everything is here except my Linn DS streamer. Still settling in, but seems ok so far. Crude Huawei router though.

Back in Surrey, where I grew up, my dad gets a poxy 0.2mbps with Plusnet and no upgrade option. Just ok for emails and web pages, but no good were he working from home or had a family looking at Netflix and online games. Postcode lottery or what?!
Blimey, yes.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
normally my download speed is 70 Mbps However sometimes it is as low as 55mbps and as high as 85Mbps uploads again varies best i seen is 20 lowest 10 Mbps Considering i am rural essex not bad. But up the road they get up to 150 Mbps via Gigaclear BT appears will not allow them to come down our road. Why??

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
Full fibre by Gigaclear. Service is 200mbs, up and down.

But regularly get 230mbs up and down.

They also have 500 and 900mbs packages. My mate has the 900, but gets over 1000mbs.

For information, TVs and Streamers are limited to 100mbs, as ever, though, there may be some over this.

DG…

Last edited:

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Full fibre by Gigaclear. Service is 200mbs, up and down.

But regularly get 230mbs up and down.

They also have 500 and 900mbs packages. My mate has the 900, but gets over 1000mbs.

For information, TVs and Streamers are limited to 100mbs, as ever, though, there may be some over this.

Zz
Limited by manufacturers fitting Ethernet ports with 100mbs limit. Hopefully see 1Gb ports fitted to screens soon. In the interim either WiFi or a USB to Ethernet adaptor will both provide speeds in excess of 100mbps (needed when streaming Bravia Core for example).

Limited by manufacturers fitting Ethernet ports with 100mbs limit. Hopefully see 1Gb ports fitted to screens soon. In the interim either WiFi or a USB to Ethernet adaptor will both provide speeds in excess of 100mbps (needed when streaming Bravia Core for example).
I had to look up Bravia Core, but Sony mention 80mbps, so I guess you’d want a bit of headroom. Unless you’ve an iMax screen at home it seems a bit overkill, but bear in mind I’m not a video fan and 4K is plenty for me!

With a local company’s FTTP we now get up to 160mbps download which is heaps, but the router doesn’t adequately reach every corner, so have recently bought a booster which helps avoid buffering on the TV in the kitchen.

Last edited:

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
I had to look up Bravia Core, but Sony mention 80mbps, so I guess you’d want a bit of headroom. Unless you’ve an iMax screen at home it seems a bit overkill, but bear in mind I’m not a video fan and 4K is plenty for me!

With a local company’s FTTP we now get up to 160mbps download which is heaps, but the router doesn’t adequately reach every corner, so have recently bought a booster which helps avoid buffering on the TV in the kitchen.
A bit of headroom (like with a subwoofer) is always good! Think Sony recommend 120mbps download to extract the maximum bit rate from the stream. A lot more than required by Netflix/Prime at between 15-25mbps. I'm on FTTC and connected at 68mbps which is enough for me for now!

The problem having super fast fiber you need a number of connections to make it worthwhile and a vert fast computer too . Yes maybe for gaming perhaps.
In our case, the copper feed was barely 9mbps, so not enough for top stream from Qobuz, nor HD telly to be reliable. Next step was FTTP at 160mbps, as fibre to cabinet was years away, thanks to inconsistent management at Openreach. It’s still a lottery, sadly.

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
The problem having super fast fiber you need a number of connections to make it worthwhile and a vert fast computer too . Yes maybe for gaming perhaps.
The benefit of FTTP isn't just the faster speeds, the reliability is much better given we aren't relying kn a decades old set of copper that was never designed to handle the frequencies high speed broadband uses. Looking forward to having no interruptions with the Internet when it finally lands!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts