• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

What’s your current internet speed?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Sometimes my laptop is slow, but I don't think its in regard to internet speed..? So maybe no matter how fast the speed is the computer may have other issues slowing down the process. But in regard to streaming Amazon Fire Stick x4 is a hero component!

Reactions: gel

gel

So £67 per month for fibre and line rental? No BT Sport included? Seems like a lot to pay, but it is a very fast speed !
Hi Buzz, my dad did it so I don’t know all the details but my mum got credit for her mobile too and we can make free calls to mobiles from landline. No BT sport £54 broadband. BT fibre 900 it’s called. £13 anytime phone calls £5 credit for my mum mobile so actually £73 roughly. 24 months contract.

Reactions: buzz_lightclick

nopiano

Feb 15, 2009
It’s such a lottery here in the UK. We live in Monmouthshire, and our cottage had a pretty fair 10mbps with a copper BT service. We upgraded to fibre from the cabinet and it sails above 60Mbps download, and similar upload. Reliable too. And nice BT modem router.

Meanwhile, about ten miles away in a new house we struggled to get above 9mbps with Plusnet. OpenReach refused to install fibre from the cabinet quarter of a mile away, despite sixty homes asking. A local telecoms firm set up a fibre service to claim the government voucher scheme. They’ve pulled through fibre cabling in BT’s ducts, and we recently got connected.
Maximum speed promised is 160mbps, but that drops to around 60mbps when wireless, as everything is here except my Linn DS streamer. Still settling in, but seems ok so far. Crude Huawei router though.

Back in Surrey, where I grew up, my dad gets a poxy 0.2mbps with Plusnet and no upgrade option. Just ok for emails and web pages, but no good were he working from home or had a family looking at Netflix and online games. Postcode lottery or what?!

Reactions: gel and Al ears

gel

It’s such a lottery here in the UK. We live in Monmouthshire, and our cottage had a pretty fair 10mbps with a copper BT service. We upgraded to fibre from the cabinet and it sails above 60Mbps download, and similar upload. Reliable too. And nice BT modem router.

Meanwhile, about ten miles away in a new house we struggled to get above 9mbps with Plusnet. OpenReach refused to install fibre from the cabinet quarter of a mile away, despite sixty homes asking. A local telecoms firm set up a fibre service to claim the government voucher scheme. They’ve pulled through fibre cabling in BT’s ducts, and we recently got connected.
Maximum speed promised is 160mbps, but that drops to around 60mbps when wireless, as everything is here except my Linn DS streamer. Still settling in, but seems ok so far. Crude Huawei router though.

Back in Surrey, where I grew up, my dad gets a poxy 0.2mbps with Plusnet and no upgrade option. Just ok for emails and web pages, but no good were he working from home or had a family looking at Netflix and online games. Postcode lottery or what?!
Blimey, yes.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts