Wharfedale E20

Well...

Had to go up to the attic earlier to get my daughters case down, as she's going to Devon in a couple of weeks time. Underneath the case are my old E20s. I thought shall I or shan't I?

It's been absolutely years since I last tried them, back to my old RS6 days - only tried them once since buying the Leema. I succumbed....

Once wired up and sitting on proper height stands - these are taller and wider than I remember.

What do they sound like?

Well, okay. Sitting down, because of the tweeter position, the high frequencies sounded a little recessed. Clarity is quite good and the bass, although lack some definition compared to the PMCs and Dalis, sounded pleasingly deep - deep enough to satisfy many tastes.

Standing up and the HFs improve, better detail and they just open up a little more. And because the bass/midrange driver is big compared to modern monitors, you don't lose any depth.

Two things: they are 96db and are an easy load for low powered amps, but they distort easier than expected.

The rear terminals are very small and fiddly to connect modern cables.

Not technically great but quite fun to listen to. I'll keep them connected until tomorrow - can't be doing with climbing a ladder again today.

I've had a lot of vintage stuff most people who have listened to my setups have been surprised how good it sounds.
Yeah, for a speaker designed in the late 70s, they are good. They seem flexible with amplification. I purchased them in 82 when I had my old Pioneer amp.

This pic was taken around 82/83 in my bedroom at the time.

Attachments

• Pioneer amp.jpg
    Pioneer amp.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 17

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Well...

Had to go up to the attic earlier to get my daughters case down, as she's going to Devon in a couple of weeks time. Underneath the case are my old E20s. I thought shall I or shan't I?

It's been absolutely years since I last tried them, back to my old RS6 days - only tried them once since buying the Leema. I succumbed....

Once wired up and sitting on proper height stands - these are taller and wider than I remember.

What do they sound like?

Well, okay. Sitting down, because of the tweeter position, the high frequencies sounded a little recessed. Clarity is quite good and the bass, although lack some definition compared to the PMCs and Dalis, sounded pleasingly deep - deep enough to satisfy many tastes.

Standing up and the HFs improve, better detail and they just open up a little more. And because the bass/midrange driver is big compared to modern monitors, you don't lose any depth.

Two things: they are 96db and are an easy load for low powered amps, but they distort easier than expected.

The rear terminals are very small and fiddly to connect modern cables.

Not technically great but quite fun to listen to. I'll keep them connected until tomorrow - can't be doing with climbing a ladder again today.
I remember a mate's dad a pair in the E series. I believe the E stood for efficiency. His pair had controls to trim the treble.

I remember a mate's dad a pair in the E series. I believe the E stood for efficiency. His pair had controls to trim the treble.
Correct, sir. They are very efficient, ideal, I guess, for low powered tube or SS amps. They were good in their day and fun to listen to now.

Originally, the E90s, they were developed for small cinemas and then, Rank, the parent company, broke into the domestic market and produced smaller E70, E50, E30 and E20. All of them had tone a control on the front.

TRENDING THREADS