Weak Link in my System

Leehallam

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I am looking for some help to determine what I buy next.

Where would you say the weak link is in my stereo system I have the following set up.

Roksan Caspian M2

B&W PM1

Qed revalation speaker cable

Sonos ZP90

Rega Dac

Rega RP3 with Elys2

Rega PSU

Rega Phono Stage

Chord Cobra interconnects

I have money saved and don't know if to do anymore, I was thinking do I add a CD Player or upgrade my turntable or do nothing and start upgrading my second room.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Leehallam said:
I have money saved and don't know if to do anymore, I was thinking do I add a CD Player or upgrade my turntable or do nothing and start upgrading my second room.

sorry man. those questions you should best be able to answer yourself. if not what is the reason you're collecting all those boxes? for showing off in the sig?

and if you've got some pocket change you don't know how to liquidate how about going for a trip to somewhere you've never been before and never thought/ hoped you'd go there? I'd recommend a trip on the trans siberian express. I'm sure you'd not regret money and time spent on this trip.

T

the record spot

I think it was the travel writer Simon Calder who said that the Siberian line was impressive for duration, but for a more breathtaking trip Britons need go no further than the Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh line. One of the great railway journeys of the world.

As to the OP's question, I agree with the above. Book a holiday!

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Leehallam said:

A holiday sounds like a fab idea, but that could be because I had to cancel mine cos my dad was in hospital!

On the stereo front, is there any aspect of your system that you aren't happy with. Is the bass extension sufficient, for eg?

What proportion of your listening is via vinyl, lossless files through the sonos, and spotify/napster, as this makes a difference as to where I would suggest spending your money.

Personally I wouldnt buy a cd player, I would go for something like a Linn Majik DS as its hard to get to this level with a CD player (IMO).

Leehallam

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Just come back from a three week holiday from Greece and I a going to Cuba in August so I am ok for holidays.

I have done lots of listening today and I think I am just going to be wasting money for the hell of it because I am very happy with the sound. If anything I might just upgrade my cartridge from the elys2 to the exact. Is the exact a worth while upgrade ? Can you listen to cartridges at dealers or is this one item you need to buy without listening, I felt rude asking.

I am going to spend some money on my other room where I have some B&W 685s connected to a zp 120. So I have listened to the Marantz pm6004 and it sounded good with the 685s I was impressed. So I am ordering pm6004 and cd6004 a zp90 and the arcam Rdac.

Does anyone else have the pm6004 with the b&w 685 what do you think of the pairing?

woodster

Jun 24, 2007
Visit site
Leehallam said:
Just come back from a three week holiday from Greece and I a going to Cuba in August so I am ok for holidays.

I have done lots of listening today and I think I am just going to be wasting money for the hell of it because I am very happy with the sound. If anything I might just upgrade my cartridge from the elys2 to the exact. Is the exact a worth while upgrade ? Can you listen to cartridges at dealers or is this one item you need to buy without listening, I felt rude asking.

I am going to spend some money on my other room where I have some B&W 685s connected to a zp 120. So I have listened to the Marantz pm6004 and it sounded good with the 685s I was impressed. So I am ordering pm6004 and cd6004 a zp90 and the arcam Rdac.

Does anyone else have the pm6004 with the b&w 685 what do you think of the pairing?

So does that mean you have ordered without any audition of the equipment together, or are you relying on other peoples ears. That aside, it does seem like willy nilly box collecting. I really thought that part of the fun was always the audition of equipment and deciding for yourself.
As a parting statement, Is it me or do some in the forums here, collect boxes as snobbery badges?

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Leehallam said:
I am looking for some help to determine what I buy next.

Where would you say the weak link is in my stereo system I have the following set up.

Roksan Caspian M2

B&W PM1

Qed revalation speaker cable

Sonos ZP90

Rega Dac

Rega RP3 with Elys2

Rega PSU

Rega Phono Stage

Chord Cobra interconnects

If you really just want to spend the money on HiFi, then you should consider building a third system with totally different technology/brands from what you have. Maybe a pair of active speakers like the AVI ADM9s or an all-in-one streamer system like the NaimUniti2.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
woodster said:
As a parting statement, Is it me or do some in the forums here, collect boxes as snobbery badges?

Of course they do. But that is true of any HiFi forum and any hobby. Persons buy sportscars that they never drive, own vacation homes they never visit, collect wines they never drink and own watches they never wear.

All that said; I would suggest being careful with the snobbery label. You list 5 different systems in your signature - some persons will see that as healthy pride in your HiFi, others as signs of showing off/snobbery.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts