Warm, musical budget integrated amp. Which?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Tibor said:
Sorry, my budget is up to 400 euro, so Creek is not for me. Marantz 600x series is over my budget. I do not want "the super perfect amp" for this price.

I looking for a budget amp wich has no clinical sound, with "rounded of " treble, so listenable without fatique. My speaker has a weak tendency toward harsh treble sound at moderate/high volume levels.

My Arcam was a good amp with silky treble, but now it has some problems, is not very reliable

I would definitely try the Pioneer A-30 and/or Denon PMA-520AE amps. But please listen to them first if you can...........everyone has different ears ;)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Tibor said:
Sorry, my budget is up to 400 euro, so Creek is not for me. Marantz 600x series is over my budget. I do not want "the super perfect amp" for this price.

I looking for a budget amp wich has no clinical sound, with "rounded of " treble, so listenable without fatique. My speaker has a weak tendency toward harsh treble sound at moderate/high volume levels.

My Arcam was a good amp with silky treble, but now it has some problems, is not very reliable

Marantz is £299 here, so how much is it where you are?

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
Looks like Pioneer will be my choice, the price is very good also.I can not listen the Denon, because there is not dealer around me with Denon amps

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
davedotco said:
Tibor said:

Buy an amplifier with tone controls and use them.

It is most likely that the 'harsh treble sound' is an amplifier issue, this is the classic symptom of an amplifier running out of power or having difficulty driving the speaker for other reasons.

You need to be aware that €400 will not buy you a new modern amplifier that is as good as your old Arcam, even more true if the Arcam style is to your liking.
Yes, the problem is that I have to replace my loved Arcam (became inreliable), I looking for similar amp

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Recently on another thread on the forum a member listened to the new Creek amp and found his old Denon budget amp to sound better, so more expensive doesn't always mean better. Stick with the ones in your original list, I'm sure you will be happy. If your set on getting a pretty identical sound to the one you already have, best bet is to go for a near identical second-hand Arcam.

matthewpiano

Tibor said:
Looks like Pioneer will be my choice, the price is very good also.I can not listen the Denon, because there is not dealer around me with Denon amps

The A30 is a very good amp - much better than its price would suggest. I won't be rushing to part with mine, even if it is currently not in use. It is a subtle and refined amp and seems to have a real sense of ease in the way it deals with dynamic swings.

atef

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Tibor said:
I intend to replace my Arcam Alpha 7 R amplifier.

My system: Arcam CD 72 player, Acoustic Energy Neo 1 speakers.

Can you recomennd a musical, fluid sounding budget amplifier with no harsh treble?

-Denon PMA 720AE

-Pioneer A 30 (the cheapest in my country)

-Nad 326BEE: do not like because of inprecise volume regulation with remonte (I was listening to it, the sound was very good, very musical with strong bass)

-Cambridge Audio Azur 351A

-Nad 316BEE

Sorry, the budget Rega amp and the Arcam A 19 amplifiers are over my budget :cry:

I have no possibility to listen all these amps, so I need your help

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
I sold the Onkyo A 9010 european version (after 3 weeks) because has very unidimensional soundstage (compared with Arcam) and a little bright for me.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
If it helps, I've seen the Yamaha A-S701 in shops for £399. Not sure on the price where you live though sorry. Plenty of functionality with all the controls you could wish for and looking through some reviews seems to be quite good.

nn_in

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
https://www.whathifi.com/users/davedotco Thank you for the reply #17 . Iam evaluating between Rega Brio R 2017,CA851A and conisdering Creek Evo50A or 100A . I dont need ant vinyl inputs ,dac etc. Just quality tone controls and analog classic amp in a small form factor. Guess the Creek fits quite well. 851A has dual transformers so i am sure how good the creek channe seperation is. I cant get access to creek demo .Currenly using 651A.So iam assuming its a step up?

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
nn_in said:
 https://www.whathifi.com/users/davedotco   Thank you for the reply #17 . Iam evaluating between Rega Brio R 2017,CA851A  and conisdering Creek Evo50A or 100A . I dont need ant vinyl inputs ,dac etc. Just quality tone controls and analog classic amp in a small form factor. Guess the Creek fits quite well. 851A has dual transformers so i am sure how good the creek channe seperation is. I cant get access to creek demo .Currenly using 651A.So iam assuming its a step up?
I had a brief audition of the ca851 at richer sounds a couple of years ago, but preferred the sound of the Roksan k3. I found the K3 warmer. But I auditioned the K3 somewhere else so it wasn't a perfect comparison.

nn_in

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Thank you.

I was anticipating that CA851A with seperate transfomers mounted for pre and power and with class XD would be interesting. Actually there are very few integrated amps with this approach.Form factor is also fairly compact.

S

SemiChronic

Yep, having also had the 651a I can say the 851a is a huge upgrade. It’s a very strong but agile amp.

It does get slated at lot but mostly by people who haven’t actually heard it and think it sounds the same as an 840.

I’m using mine with some tannoys, which is a no no according to the bearded men wearing cords.

Audition/borrow/compare other brands at price point . . Be happy.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I also rate these ca intergrated amps when I see them perennially used to demo speakers in richer Sounds, and think them fantastic for the price. I like the detailed nature of these amps, which is probably why they get slated.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
I like the detailed nature of these amps, which is probably why they get slated.

CA amps don't usually get slated, they just have a sound that can be too forward (clinial?) for some, especially if poorly matched...so don't have as big a fan base (much like Cyrus and Audiolab).

IME. It is a myth, that detail only comes with a brighter, more forward sounding amp (and same with speakers).

S

SemiChronic

True, if these myths were correct and that my system is so bright,

im surprised my amp and speakers don’t strip me naked every time I use them

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SemiChronic said:
True, if these myths were correct and that my system is so bright,

im surprised my amp and speakers don’t strip me naked every time I use them

It's about enjoyment....not about someone else's enjoyment. There are 101 ways to skin a cat (or avoid being stripped naked).

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I think because Tannoy are not hugely in your face on treble this is a nice balance with ca, and the reason your clothes stay on. Lol.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I think because Tannoy are not hugely in your face on treble this is a nice balance with ca, and the reason your clothes stay on. Lol. 
Really, I thought it was mostly thought it was the opposite. I've heard a lot of comments saying the tannoy in richer sounds are very bright and shrill. I sure thought so.

insider9

radiorog said:
Really, I thought it was mostly thought it was the opposite. I've heard a lot of comments saying the tannoy in richer sounds are very bright and shrill. I sure thought so.
They can be if incorrectly partnered. Had DC6T and really liked them but with a wrong amp they were unlistenable. Just recommend them to a mate to finish his Primare + Mojo setup and he loves them.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
radiorog said:
They can be if incorrectly partnered. Had DC6T and really liked them but with a wrong amp they were unlistenable. Just recommend them to a mate to finish his Primare + Mojo setup and he loves them.
I have a feeling it was the dct6 I heard, with the Cambridge, and nice sound, but Def on the trebly side of things it seemed.

nn_in

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
SemiChronic said:
Yep, having also had the 651a I can say the 851a is a huge upgrade. It’s a very strong but agile amp.

It does get slated at lot but mostly by people who haven’t actually heard it and think it sounds the same as an 840.

I’m using mine with some tannoys, which is a no no according to the bearded men wearing cords.

Audition/borrow/compare other brands at price point . . Be happy.

Thank you for the compare between 651A and 851A

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts