open, dinamic, clear sounding budget stereo amp for my Quad speakers

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
I looking for a budget stereo amlifier (max. 300 pound) for my Quad 11L Classic speakers/Arcam CD 72 system. I should replace my Arcam Alpha 7 amlifier, which has problem with volume knob and it has some humming sound.

I need an open, fast, a little bright sounding amlifier, wich will mach with warm sounding Quad speakers. I mean more open and transparent sound than for examle. Nad 316BEE/326BEE or my Arcam Alpha 7 have.

Thank you for suggestions

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
Thank you for all, sorry my budget (max 300 pound /400 euro) is not enough for modern Arcam, Quad and Creek amps.

So the question is Denon PMA 720 or Pioneer A 30? (no possibility for listening tha amps)

Yamaha S 500 as new is too expensive in my country

I would prefer the clearer, less warm and more hifi one.The point is more detail, and a brighter, but not harsh sound

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Go to a Hi-Fi shop and place your hand on top of these amplifiers, and the one that goes warm the most, will sound warmest of the group.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Try eBay or one of the other internet sellers.

You could get a Arcam 19 or a Rotel ra-12 or a Rotel ra-1520 for about that price. All around the £600 to £750 mark.

The Rotels take an age to settle in (something I have learned) but deliver the sound you discribe.

And will drive the Quads well. But that's the price range your speakers deserve.

Or you can order a Yamaha as-500/501 online from a British store like Richersounds, p&p may have to be added to your budget though.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Tibor said:
  Yes !, used Rotel is a good idea

Lol, forgot to add 'but go for around your budget'

If you get a hardly 'used' Rotel chances are its 'just' breaking in.....impatient owners.

I was surprised by the brand.

matthewpiano

Rotel is a very good call. I once had Rotel RA-01 with Arcam CD73T and Quad 11L and it gave exactly the sort of sound you seem to be looking for. Very clear, very 'hi-fi', excellent seperation and soundstaging, good dynamics, and good timbral accuracy. It was open sounding without veering into screechy upper strings. One of the better of my previous systems, and certainly one of the best outcomes I heard with the Quads.

Either look for a good 2nd hand Rotel, or consider a new RA10. If you can find a 2nd hand Rega Brio-R, that would be even better.

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Rotel is a very good call. I once had Rotel RA-01 with Arcam CD73T and Quad 11L and it gave exactly the sort of sound you seem to be looking for. Very clear, very 'hi-fi', excellent seperation and soundstaging, good dynamics, and good timbral accuracy. It was open sounding without veering into screechy upper strings. One of the better of my previous systems, and certainly one of the best outcomes I heard with the Quads.

Either look for a good 2nd hand Rotel, or consider a new RA10. If you can find a 2nd hand Rega Brio-R, that would be even better.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Unfortunately there are very few Rotel or Rega amps on ebay. ( I live outside of UK)

What is your opinion about Denon PMA 720 AE ?, it has a similar clear and vivid sound like aforementioned Rotel RA-01?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
You can buy a toy amplifier if new or a serious one second hand for the same money. Denon PMA 1500 AE sells for 400 euros second hand in Europe and that is a MUCH better amp than anything we mentioned so far.

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
Vladimir said:
You can buy a toy amplifier if new or a serious one second hand for the same money. Denon PMA 1500 AE sells for 400 euros second hand in Europe and that is a MUCH better amp than anything we mentioned so far.

I am from Hungary, I will take look at used hifi market (online)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:

+1

I owned one for quite some time. Good and sounds powerful but bass can be a little loose/dominant with the wrong speakers. Cyrus was quite a big improvement overall (imo)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
Vladimir said:

+1

I owned one for quite some time. Good and sounds powerful but bass can be a little loose/dominant with the wrong speakers. Cyrus was quite a big improvement overall (imo)

That brutish Ultra High Current Mosfet circuit is to blame. I think it will suit the OP more than Rotel according to his description.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:
drummerman said:
Vladimir said:
You can buy a toy amplifier if new or a serious one second hand for the same money. Denon PMA 1500 AE sells for 400 euros second hand in Europe and that is a MUCH better amp than anything we mentioned so far.

+1

I owned one for quite some time. Good and sounds powerful but bass can be a little loose/dominant with the wrong speakers. Cyrus was quite a big improvement overall (imo)

That brutish Ultra High Current Mosfet circuit is to blame. I think it will suit the OP more than Rotel according to his description. 

You should follow that Rotel link/thread through before turning into a synergy then cable thread, long run in for Rotels get a mention

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
You should follow that Rotel link/thread through before turning into a synergy then cable thread, long run in for Rotels get a mention

How long before it grows another transformer and twice the capacitance?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts